• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stop ride recall on C650GT?

bobfately

Just an FYI - my 2018 C650GT was at the dealer a few weeks back for a seat hinge repair when I was advised that BMW put out a stop ride alert - a problem with the front brakes of some kind. This meant that the dealers cannot sell any inventory they have and cannot release bikes in the shop until it is resolved. A few weeks later (last week) BMW figured out the isue but said parts won't be available until June - but they also loosened the rule so now I can get mine back and ride it until the required parts arrive.

Personally, with 20K on the bike at this point (I was shooting for 24K in a year but it's been up there over a month), I'm not worried something is going to go sideways but I just wanted to make others aware of the issue.

I believe it only concerns the 2018 model year, but you might want to check with your dealer.

Is there somewhere online, like the main BMW website, to find out about these recalls? I realize this isn't something that BMW wants to publicize so maybe there isn't . . .

Is there somewhere online, like the main BMW website, to find out about these recalls? I realize this isn't something that BMW wants to publicize so maybe there isn't . . .

The NHTSA (Feds) have an instant lookup website where you enter a VIN or make/model/year.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

The Benchracing and Morning Reads thread on this forum often has such info that has been discovered.

And, if you are the owner of a recalled vehicle you will most likely receive a letter in the mail from BMW. I have two such letters.

The NHTSA (Feds) have an instant lookup website where you enter a VIN or make/model/year.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

The Benchracing and Morning Reads thread on this forum often has such info that has been discovered.
Thank you sir! I forgot that I had that link bookmarked. Duh.

I'm that way with tools too. I need a tool. I buy the tool. I put the tool away. I need the tool again a few years later. I buy the tool again because I forgot that I already bought it. I put the new tool away in a different shelf/drawer/box. I end up finding the first one some time later. Duh.

I think this is what the OP was referring to . . . (Thanks Paul!)

1Recalls associated with this VIN
Mar 01,2019
Manufacturer Recall NumberNA
NHTSA Recall Number19V157
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary
FRONT BRAKE HOSE: After repeated turning of the handlebars to the maximum left steering angle, for example when locking the handlebars or in tight maneuvers, the hose could become damaged and, over time eventually leak.

Safety Risk
If a brake fluid leak occurs, the maximum front brake pressure may not be able to be applied. This would reduce braking capability, and could increase the risk of an accident. However, the rear brake is not affected and remains fully operational.

Remedy
The front brake hose will be replaced.

Back