• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

I just realized a habit I have that is not good on a scooter.

None of my bikes have enclosed storage, well . . . a couple have lockable saddle bags but they have been removed because I don't use them. On my first scooter ride yesterday I put my pack of tools that I carry into the storage under the seat. That's fine. Except I carry my extra key in that tool pack, which sort of defeats its purpose.

I was reading on the Suzuki Burgman site: https://burgmanusa.com/forums/23-newbie-questions/169415-locked-keys-seat-no-spare.html

I was thinking that that was a pretty silly thing to do -- lock up all your stuff, including your key, in the under-seat storage. Then I thought some more and realized that I was sort of silly too . . .:scratch

I don't need to do it now, but is there a way to mechanically open the under-seat storage on the C650GT as was done on the Suzuki Burgman?

Last edited:
Did you lock your key inside the storage compartment?
If it’s the only one, order a spare from the dealer.
OM

Ok. :thumb
Just tie wrap the spare in a “secret” location. The newer keys/locks are hard to “pick”.
OM

Spare Key

I had a metallic grey 2009 K1300S and I used duct tape to secure the spare key deep inside and high on the right body fairing. I knew where it was and could access it if need be but no one would have any clue unless they started taking the bike apart. There was no way to see it even if you ducked down to inspect the tire or front fender. If you use a tie strap, the key might dangle around and make noise as you rode over bumps or expansion gaps. Just my $0.02!

Kent

I was thinking of taping the spare key under the license plate, or some other easily accessible place on the motorcycle. If I really need it is would be simple to just bend the plate up and peel off the key.

Depending on how manly your wallet is, consider this. Ground off the plastic 'head' so that it could tuck into your wallet. ? ?? Personally, I would hate for a thief to FIND my spare whilst stripping apart the bike, LOL.

i don't leave a spare key on my car anywhere, so don't feel the need to stick a spare key on the bike anywhere.

if i am going outside normal range from the house i either stick the spare key in my jacket or i swap spare keys with a riding partner on another bike.

i don't leave a spare key on my car anywhere, so don't feel the need to stick a spare key on the bike anywhere.

if i am going outside normal range from the house i either stick the spare key in my jacket or i swap spare keys with a riding partner on another bike.

When we trvel I carry spare keys to Voni's bike and she carries spare keys to mine.

Back