• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deer whistles

tibork

Yesterday I went out first time with a new deer whistle installed. I heard some people swear by them some saying they don't do anything. Because it was a colder day I drove the country roads at slower speed just enjoying the country sites. At one point I noticed two Canadian geese at a far distance standing on the road. Knowing how stubborn animals they are and not too happy to move I was just about to grab my clutch to slow down, however as I was approaching them, still at a distance they both looked up alarmingly and both took off flying away. So I thought this might be connected to my new deer whistle installed but didn't want to jump to any conclusion; I continued on. About 10 minutes later another goose was standing in the distance right next to the road by a lake. I was watching it as a few cars passed it by, it didn't even move, but again as I was getting close to it, still at a distance the goose extended it's neck, looking up then quickly ran into the lake. Is this the deer whistle working? I was riding slow with low RPM so my bike was quiet, I can't contribute these incidents to loud noise and all three geese were at a considerable distance yet when they moved. I am starting to believe in this thing but will be curious to see more .... Anyone with similar experiences?

Could be the whistle, could be your wheel bearings, tire noise, wind through the bike frame, or ? Not much in the way of conclusive evidence or scientific test method available.

If it seems to work for you, ride on! :bliss

Lots of threads on deer whistles at the bottom of the page in the Similar Threads panel. Try not to let the negativity that usually follows get to ya.

Best advice is \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

OM

Could be the whistle, could be your wheel bearings, tire noise, wind through the bike frame, or ? Not much in the way of conclusive evidence or scientific test method available.

I understand what you're saying but the last goose was passed just a couple of feet by three cars going 45-50 MPH in the distance before I got even somewhat close. Goose didn't even move a feather. I was about 25-30 yards (?) with only 3K RPM (definitely quieter than a few cars passing 2-3 feet right by me) and the thing got alarmed and ran off. Again, no conclusions but interesting facts.

I do not know whether or not animals will respond to a deer whistle. It seems to me to make sense that some, at least, will. But then the issue is what will the animal's response be? Evidently the goal of the whistle is to make the animal flee. If it works as claimed, then a couple of deer grazing along side of a road may choose to flee across the road and into the path of the vehicle with the whistle or another vehicle. I remain a skeptic of the device's usefulness in reducing the chance of an animal/vehicle impact. I also doubt that it will increase the chances of an impact, so probably no harm in giving it a try.

akbeemer
Evidently the goal of the whistle is to make the animal flee.

All I ever expect from my whistles is that they make a noise that any animal may make some movement as a reaction. This movement may allow me to see potential danger earlier.

You are dreaming if you expect something to flee.

Charlie

The other day there were 3-4 cars in front of me, as we passed a small lake a couple geese took off running for the water when they saw/heard me on my RT long after the last car passed them. Many times as I approached on my motorcycle, deer have perked up, looked my way and ran off.

A few years back, a buddy on mine hit a dear. He had a couple deer whistles mounted, I guess they were defective.

I am convinced the only thing deer whistles do for certain is lighten a person's wallet.

Reminds me of another thread I used to frequent in the GoldWing days. The title was Deer Whistles, and it all was a bit tongue in cheek and basically the opponents and proponents of deer whistles would simply volley back and forth. When I left it I believe it was over 6,000 posts. LOL

I genetically repel women. With rapid advancements in this field I expect them to be able to isolate the gene and replicate it to have a similar effect on whitetail. Based on my experience a quick squirt on your front fender will have the deer running from you.

Just sayin'

Years ago I lived in Pennsylvania and traveled on I-80 a bit. I kept seeing deer carcasses along the road so much so that it made me pretty nervous. I bought a pair of deer whistles at a truck stop and stuck them on under the curve of the fairing (1978 R80/7).
I could not tell if they whistled as advertised because you are not able to hear them. Never the less I left them in place. I can say that on a trip down through Virginia on the back roads, I did see a couple of dogs stop dead in their tracks and look at me. I also would see cows that would stop grazing, raise their heads and look at me as I passed by.
Maybe I am just attractive to critters.

Just sayin’
:banghead

I genetically repel women. With rapid advancements in this field I expect them to be able to isolate the gene and replicate it to have a similar effect on whitetail. Based on my experience a quick squirt on your front fender will have the deer running from you.

Perhaps you would have better luck with women if you cease taking quick squirts on your front fender??? :dunno:)

Friedle

Back