• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 K75, 34k miles - Came back to my senses

guaire

I got the idea of selling to capitalize for a potential business expense. I’ll keep my K and trust in God for expenses. I do have some capital in hand.
I had to admit that this bike can not be replaced by anything better. One of the many superlatives that came to mind is the dynamo power electric system. I can just plug in my upper and lower Gerbings, and for that matter, a microwave oven if I want. Reality in northern VA means, sometimes it’s cold here. Nothing can run electric gear like a K bike, except a wall socket in my house! Then, there’s the heated grips.
I was sick. Now I’m feeling better. I feel a spline lube session coming on.

Cheers,
Bill

A friend of mine, now passed, used to say, " they're cheap to keep". I always think of that when I ponder selling one of my motorbikes. Chunk.

I've been looking for a relatively low-mileage well-kept K75 for a while now. Preferably a K75S, but I'm not that choosy. I've read that they are smoother than the K100. Is the K75 smoother than the 2000 K1200RS that I have? If so, then the K75 must be really damn smooth! :thumb

I've been looking for a relatively low-mileage well-kept K75 for a while now. Preferably a K75S, but I'm not that choosy. I've read that they are smoother than the K100. Is the K75 smoother than the 2000 K1200RS that I have? If so, then the K75 must be really damn smooth! :thumb

Be choosey, they're great bikes! The bikes are probably the same smoothness, but the K 75 has NO rubber mounts or bar end weights to minimize the vibration (like your bike has), because the K75 doesn't need it.

Here's a great looking one across the bay from me in San Francisco. It's one of my he last 50 ever built. The price is more than fair if it is as nice as it looks in the ad.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/san-francisco-bmw-k75s/6883406634.html

:dance:dance:dance

Be choosey, they're great bikes! The bikes are probably the same smoothness, but the K 75 has NO rubber mounts or bar end weights to minimize the vibration (like your bike has), because the K75 doesn't need it.

Here's a great looking one across the bay from me in San Francisco. It's one of my he last 50 ever built. The price is more than fair if it is as nice as it looks in the ad.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/san-francisco-bmw-k75s/6883406634.html

:dance:dance:dance
Thanks. I should have mentioned that the K75 has to be within a reasonable driving distance (say 6 hours round trip) so I can go get it with my trailer. But that gives me the entire Phoenix metro area + Tucson + Sierra Vista. Plenty of bikes for sale in that circle.

Machete don't fly. :)

never say never

My 2003 K1200RS is the bike I swore I'd never own (Airhead "purist").... now it's the bike I swear I'll never sell.

.... now it's the bike I swear I'll never sell.
I used to say that about bikes but I stopped because sooner or later I'll get tired of a bike and sell it.

But the K1200RS has been one of my favorites out of the 59 motorcycles/scooters I've owned.

<<The bikes are probably the same smoothness, but the K 75 has NO rubber mounts or bar end weights to minimize the vibration (like your bike has), because the K75 doesn't need it. >>

The K1200RS doesn't use rubber mounts and bar ends to damped vibes. The K1100s did that. It was the end of the original K design, and the competition had gotten smoother. BMW's reply was to mount the K1200's engine is rubber instead of being a stressed member, as were the earlier Ks. That required a new, full frame on the K12 to compensate for loss of the rigidity the old engine provided. That is why the K12RS is so smooth, but heavier.

I believe the K75 had a balancing shaft to kill engine vibrations that the K100 did not.

Is the K75 smoother than the 2000 K1200RS that I have? If so, then the K75 must be really damn smooth! :thumb

I felt the smoothness of our K75s were similar to our K1200RSs up to 80 MPH.
Above 80 the K1200RS was smoother.

Back