Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member wants to buy his first BMW

New member wants to buy his first BMW

I currently ride a 2014 Indian Vintage which I知 riding from California to Sturgis and plan an Alaskan vacation in 2020. I was looking at the 2019 R1250GSA for my trip and the local dealer is asking MSRP for the bike, so is that typical or should I try and negotiate. When I bought my Indian I paid retail as I知 not real good at dealing. And second question, are aftermarket panniers as good as the factory BMW marked ones?
    Thank you
    Joe

Great bike, I couldn't tell you anything about what you might do with negotiating but certainly there are many pannier options and some aftermarket are every bit as good or better than OEM. First you might want to determine if you want hard or soft luggage, there are pros and cons to both depending on where and what you're riding. I'm sure plenty more folks will chime in.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

If you want a deal, and are willing to travel to get it, look at 2018 models as some dealers still have some new ones. Next, if you are used to a low seat height, look at a factory lowered model.

Good luck with your purchase!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Welcome to the MOA and the forum.
    The R1250GSA was updated this year so I'm guessing most dealers will ask list price.
    As mentioned above you should be able to get a good discount on a 2018.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

If you're willing to ship a bike, you might reach out to these folks?

Luke Giovanetto - Cycle Werks - 847-381-8050
    Greg North - BMW Motorcycles of Charlotte - 704-882-6106
    Bob Honz - Gateway BMW Motorcycles - 314-427-9090

There may be some good deals on used bikes with some warranty left, too.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
    I currently ride a 2014 Indian Vintage which I知 riding from California to Sturgis and plan an Alaskan vacation in 2020. I was looking at the 2019 R1250GSA for my trip and the local dealer is asking MSRP for the bike, so is that typical or should I try and negotiate. When I bought my Indian I paid retail as I知 not real good at dealing. And second question, are aftermarket panniers as good as the factory BMW marked ones?
    Thank you
    Joe
    Welcome to the forum!
    This thread in the Clubhouse section may help- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...MW-motorcycles
    It has always been reported that the profit in current model motorcycles was pretty thin. Sometimes I agree to list price when some accessories are "thrown" in with the sale......even if I do the installation of the accessories.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Did anyone mention the MOA new bike discount? Because there is one...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

New guy

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful with my questions. Yesterday I went to the dealer and told them that I want to buy the bike from them at whatever price they feel is fair and I will be very disappointing with them if I find that I could have saved $1500 of $2000 by shopping around. I asked about riding a high version of the as I知 6,2 and felt that might be a better bike for my Alaskan adventure. The bike was very spirited and seemed nimble by I simply hated the seating position. I felt like I was sliding forward all the time. I think it must be that I ride baggers and cruisers and this seemed totally odd. I知 going to call Russel or Corbin for ideas or talk with some other BMW guys that came from Harley痴 to see what they did. I might even consider looking at a KTM .
    Thanks again for your advice.

Peacemaker,

Others have given great advice. The seat height on the GSA can be adjusted so that the front of the seat sits a bit higher than the rear. Your dealer can show you how to make that simple adjustment, and of course the Owner's Manual shows it as well.

I wouldn't be so quick to change seats until you have some miles on the new bike. The seat will conform slightly to your body, but even more your body will adjust to the seat. I have tried a few aftermarket seats on my '18 GSA and always come back to the stock seat. Everyone is different though, so YMMV.

I had the Touratech Zega Pro aluminum panniers in 38L/31L and they are of great quality. I now run the OEM aluminum panniers and prefer the way the right side wraps around the exhaust - I just think it looks better. I also like that I can store a full-face helmet in the OEM left pannier. My 38L Touratech was a bit too small, although their larger pannier is likely large enough. With the Touratech's you will need to buy new racks as the OEM racks are not compatible so factor that into the cost as you compare.

Enjoy! You are purchasing a great bike that will serve you well!

IMG_0183 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by allhisanyway View Post
    Peacemaker,

Others have given great advice. The seat height on the GSA can be adjusted so that the front of the seat sits a bit higher than the rear. Your dealer can show you how to make that simple adjustment, and of course the Owner's Manual shows it as well.

I wouldn't be so quick to change seats until you have some miles on the new bike. The seat will conform slightly to your body, but even more your body will adjust to the seat. I have tried a few aftermarket seats on my '18 GSA and always come back to the stock seat. Everyone is different though, so YMMV.

I had the Touratech Zega Pro aluminum panniers in 38L/31L and they are of great quality. I now run the OEM aluminum panniers and prefer the way the right side wraps around the exhaust - I just think it looks better. I also like that I can store a full-face helmet in the OEM left pannier. My 38L Touratech was a bit too small, although their larger pannier is likely large enough. With the Touratech's you will need to buy new racks as the OEM racks are not compatible so factor that into the cost as you compare.

Enjoy! You are purchasing a great bike that will serve you well!

IMG_0183 (2).jpg
    Thank you for the great advice, I think I値l go ride the bike again. I was thinking that it must be comfortable as I see a ton of them on the toad.

It's a totally different riding position than a cruiser, I ride smaller and different dualsports and for me being comfortable is scooched forward on the seat with the balls of my feet on the pegs which are directly under me and I spend all day like that. I also run aftermarket custom seats but neither one came with a decent seat anyway. Definitely go for a second ride and have a look at the adjustments you can make in the saddle position.

KTM's are definitely a different animal, I have 2 and love them but have never ridden the 1290. Shopping around different brands may find something that fits you better but I haven't ridden that many of the big Adventure bikes. Triumph Tiger, Suzuki V-Strom, KTM 1290 etc etc.

But how many of the other brands have nice clubs like the MOA to join with a nice friendly forum to hang out in? Maybe you want to go to the MOA rally first to see if you like the crowd?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

At a minimum, you should go to BMW Motorrad USA's website, and check current promotions to see if you qualify for any. If you do qualify, these discounts come right off the bottom line. These are not dealer incentives. They're offered directly by BMW USA, so it's not coming out of the dealer's pocket. When I bought my GSA in 2015, I got a $400 discount, after negotiating the best deal with the dealer, by being a member of the BMW Car Club of America. Go to the website (link below), and click on "Menu", then "Offers" . That said, I did not see the discount for being an MOA member. Are you a member of the MOA? If you plan to buy a 1250 GSA, you're not likely to get much in the way of a discount from the dealer, given the 1250 is so new. Ask them to throw in the first service (running-in check at about 600, or so, miles), and also ask for a discount of at least 10% on any accessories you buy within 60 days of bike purchase, for example on side/top cases etc.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/home.html#/filter-all
    Last edited by marcopolo; 04-30-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Here's the details on the MOA discount when buying a bike.
    https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/438270/B...otorcycles.htm
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Here's the details on the MOA discount when buying a bike.
    https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/438270/B...otorcycles.htm
    I see you have to have been an MOA member for at least a year.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure