• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

98 R1100R heated grip switch

Hello, My heated grips work on low and on high, but they do not get very hot.
I have checked the fuse connection, the white connection under the tank, and the alternator puts out 13.93V at 2000 rpm.
I would like to check the connection on the switch.
It was straightforward to remove the chrome bezel, speedo cable and loosen the aluminum instrument cover, but I could not figure out how to completely remove the aluminum cover. It was loose, but still attached farther back from the key, and over the three switches. Is there a screw between the key and the gastank? I just want to expose the underside of the heated grip switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem: it looks like there may be a screw attaching the cover to the black metal baseplate the instrument cluster sits on, which is sandwiched between the handlebars and the top of the fork tubes. If that screw needs to be removed to remove the cover to access the underside of the heated grip switch then a lot more would have to come off than what my Haynes manual instructs. I tried prying the cover off with some slight pressure with a flathead screw driver as it looks like the screw may just be pressed it to its hole in the black metal plate, but it wouldn't budge. Below are pics of the screw in question, one from each side:

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Yes, thank you for the pic GSAddict. For posterity, what was holding me back was a short countersunk head screw that takes a 4mm hex key, and you do have to go all the way and remove the handlebars, headlight, front turn signals, and instrument lights to get to it. The factory service manual does say to remove the handlebars, I had forgotten I had downloaded it to my phone a year and a half or so when I bought the bike. The Haynes manual has two sets of instructions for the R1100R: one for bikes with headlight cowl and those without. Mine’s naked so I figured I was without the cowl, but apparently I was wrong! The cowl must have been a facelift thing.

Anyway, the screw is BMW part #07 11 9 900 864: should’ve known, when in doubt just check the parts fiche diagrams. Mine was a bit punky, I got it out ok but felt it was close to stripping so I ordered a new one at my local dealer.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Last edited:
Back