Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many MC pairs of pants for 15 days?

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    but might forego shaving,
    On trips I use a Gillette Sensor because it doesn't take up much room.
    A 2.75 oz. sample can of Edge shaving cream will last several weeks.

Name:  20190428_090624.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  115.9 KB
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Rick
    Just take enough clean underwear.

10 days is my longest ride
    Motoport pants and jacket
    One pair of cargo shorts
    One swimsuit
    3 pairs micro fiber boxers
    6 micro t shirts, short and long sleeve
    1 pair tennis shoes and sweat socks
    Always stay in hotels, wash out underwear, socks andTshirts in the shower using small packets of woolite
    Dry by morning

For a week or two I will take a spare pair of jeans, shorts, maybe three t-shirts, six pairs of socks and underwear. I will toss virtually every thing in one load in clothes washer at a motel and I am good for another week. If the missus comes with it is hard to say! She is a bit of a clothes horse.

I have a trailer for my Harley and bought a Unigo for my RT so sometimes I just give up and pack heavy! One trip we made to see our daughter she packed high heels and a dress, and I had a dress shirt, pants and shoes.

I am planning for a six to eight week trip to Alaska this June/July. Moteling, but prepared to camp.

Riding Gear - Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants, TCX Boots, Two pair of MotoskiviZ Compression socks, 2 LD Comfort LS shirts, 1 LD Comfort Longjohn bottom, 1 HW Merino wool bottom, Gerbing Electric Jacket, Klim Goretex Gloves, Klim Mesh Gloves.

Other clothing - 2 skivvy shorts, 3 quick dry tee shirts, two pair quick dry nylon socks, one pair light nylon trousers, 1 LS Quick Dry Fishing Shirt, 1 pair jeans, 1 pair light nylon shorts, Merino Wool sweater, packable rain shell jacket, light comfortable low shoes, shower shoes, Headnet, ball cap. It all fits in one dry bag which goes on the seat behind me attached with two ROK Straps.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

If you've got useful motorcycle riding pants, they've got CE protectors in the knees and perhaps the hips. Pants like that don't really fold up for packing ... so, one.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    If you've got useful motorcycle riding pants, they've got CE protectors in the knees and perhaps the hips. Pants like that don't really fold up for packing ... so, one.
    and the aerostich protectors are particularly fold unfriendly! hence Olympia for this hot weather trip.

ZWEI KOLBEN
    I have sized my riding pants to go over a typical pair moisture wicking cargo shorts. Sorry ladies I know cargo shorts are nearly a Crocs level form of birth control. When I get to a destination that is longer than lunch stop I strip down to the shorts and a pair of the aforementioned Keens right next to the bike. Great for an afternoon hike, airshow or antique car event and a place to change is not needed. Usually can get by with one pair of over pants and the inner shorts are easier to pack than full pants.

“Crocks level form of birth control “. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    “Crocks level form of birth control “. Love it.
    From a guy who wears, and has worn for most of his adult life, Army-issue style eyeglasses, commonly called BCDs (birth control devices), this IS really funny. I also love it.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Too much stuff

It will be warm to hot where you're headed (my neck of the woods). A set of one jacket and riding pants is plenty. Have some items to change into when you are off the bike. A sweatshirt/fleece jacket is all you need for a cool temps down here (even that may stay in your saddlebag). As I write this it is in the mid-80s (at night) and and AC is on. Your challenge will be coping with humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by scroungelady View Post
    It will be warm to hot where you're headed (my neck of the woods). A set of one jacket and riding pants is plenty. Have some items to change into when you are off the bike. A sweatshirt/fleece jacket is all you need for a cool temps down here (even that may stay in your saddlebag). As I write this it is in the mid-80s (at night) and and AC is on. Your challenge will be coping with humidity.
    47 degrees here right now in not-so-balmy upstate NY...yes, I need an attitude adjustment about preparation for weather. I have things narrowed down pretty much based on suggestions such as yours and above! Also avoiding any temptation to skimp on proper (for me) gear- FF helmet, Sturdy boots, armoured clothing, good gloves. Safety and comfort aren't TOTALLY incompatible, but they don't always look like the best of friends! lol

I will repeat in this thread what I have previously posted in other threads. Be cautious with mesh gear - especially jackets. They are wonderful for short trips to town or around town. But if you are actually touring - say 200 or 300 or more miles a day - you will run serious risk of dehydration wearing a mesh jacket. Too much airflow on the upper body sucks moisture out of your body. This is acutely true in the dry conditions of the west. It is less so in the very humid areas of the southeast. For extended hours riding in the west a well designed vented jacket with zippers to control air flow might not seem as comfortable as mesh but it might save you a big medical bill. Also note that typical skin temperature is 93 or 94 degrees (nominal core temp at 98.6 F). On any day warmer than say 94, airflow on your skin just feels like hot air and actual insulation against the heat is needed more than the hot air blowing on your skin. Wetting down a shirt, LD Comfort gear, or a cool-vest works well with limited airflow and will last an hour or more. A wet garment under a mesh jacket will cool you for 10 minutes or so.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have ridden with mesh gear in constant 110F temps. I agree, you will dehydrate fairly fast. If you keep pouring in the liquids while riding you should be ok. When temps get above 95F I figure about a quart of water per 45 minutes. If you are not peeing at every gas stop you aren't drinking enough!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have ridden with mesh gear in constant 110F temps. I agree, you will dehydrate fairly fast. If you keep pouring in the liquids while riding you should be ok. When temps get above 95F I figure about a quart of water per 45 minutes. If you are not peeing at every gas stop you aren't drinking enough!
    In those conditions I'd wear a wind stopper over the mesh, if I had one along. I don't need or want hot air 15 degrees hotter than skin temperature blasting my body.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/