Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many MC pairs of pants for 15 days?

Headed to Siberia/Mongolia/stans in 2020 I will only be taking one riding jacket, pants and boots. One pair of offbike footware, most likely something minimal and light, I'm thinking a pair of Sanuks big enough I can wear socks, typically I wear Sanuks barefoot. People will talk to you all days long about to pack and what not to pack but the only way to know for sure is to learn what works for you. Either way from your description you are considering waaay too much gear, if you really want that much crap pack your car.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Rick, IMO you are packing way too much. My Aerostich Darian is mandatory for a year-round road trip. Never ride any distance w/o it. But underneath, one pair of regular jeans in the winter or one pair of lightweight "fishing" pants (synthetic material that dries quickly) in the cooler months. Shirts, socks and underwear are from my "riding pile" at home. These are old clothing items that I have worn holes in throughout the year and they get washed, folded and saved until the next m/c trip. They can be wadded up in a dry bag. As I wear them, I throw them away at the motel. If I run short there is always a Walmart along the route. Bottom line: my bags are mostly empty when I get home after a two-week trip, and I immediately start accumulating throwaway clothing for the next trip.
    This. My Darien and AD-1 pants work from well below freezing in New England winter to 107 last year in the Arizona Summer. What matters isn't what you wear on the outside, but what is or isn't underneath. I'm a backpacker and sea kayaker so I own tons of base and mid layers. These pack nice and small. In the heat, it's nothing but wicking boxers and a wicking t-shirt underneath. In winter I might wear expedition-weight thermals and one or two down mid layers up top.

I agree that I've never packed two pairs of riding footwear. Usually, it's my Dainese boots for the bike and a pair of Merrill low hikers for everything else off the bike. If space is really an issue I skip the riding boots and use my heavy hiking boots. For your hot humid climate with the potential for some cool rainy days, I'd carry a couple wicking t-shirts, one set each of light and midweight thermals, and probably a down vest. Shirts and thermals can be washed in a sink and will dry overnight. Add a pair of jeans and you're good for weeks.
    MOA#: 218327
    2019 R1250RT, Mars Red
    Retired: 2002 Kawasaki VN750; 1989 Kawasaki KLR650, 1980 Yamaha DT175

I've done a number of multi-week trips, camping most nights. Here's a quick summary of my travel kit:

1 pair of armored riding pants, 1 armored riding jacket (jacket and pants are both waterproof), Gerbings electric liner, 1 pair riding boots (Daytona as well...great boots), 2 pair riding gloves (a light pair and 1 pair of electric heated that plug into the Gerbings liner), 2 pair riding socks (wash one, wear one), 1 pair of sandals (I like the Tevas with the protection over your toes...popular with whitewater guides). Personal clothing includes: 3 pairs Exofficio synthetic boxers (wash, dry quickly), 2 synthetic short sleeve t-shirts,1 synthetic long sleeve t-shirt, 1 pair camping pants (the kind with zip off legs so they double as shorts), 1 fleece, 1 down, puffy jacket (down packs really small), 1 stocking cap, 1 rain hat, toiletry kit.

All of thie personal stuff easily fits into one of the saddlebags of my RT. The other saddlebag carries all of my food and camp cooking items. Tools and extra riding gear (i.e. gloves I'm not wearing, Gerbings liner, cooling vest) go into the top case. My small tool roll is very basic, so it doesn't take much room and isn't heavy. I carry camping gear in a waterproof bag that is strapped to the pillion seat (includes small axe, camping saw, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp light, etc.)

In late August, I and two friends are planning to ride a portion of the Continental Divide route, so my kit will probably be even smaller to fit my Honda CRF250L Rally. We can always live with a lot less than we think!

Have a great trip with your son!
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Take what you think is right for you, based on these suggestions given and what you believe meets your tour's requirements. Paul's list above probably matches what I've developed over the 45 years or so I've been touring (bicycle and motorcycle). One thing I always do -- still to this day -- is go over the list of what I took on my last trip as soon as I'm home. and match it to what I needed. Did I need an item and didn't have it? Make a note and include it next time. Did I carry something with me and not use it? Why wasn't it used? If it was truly excess baggage, leave it home next time. But be careful! If you didn't use your rain gear because it didn't rain, that's not truly excess baggage! In about 3 trips, using this method, you should have your travel gear dialed in perfectly for you!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Now that we motel on trips we carry synthetic clothing I can wash in the sink and dry over night.
    When we used to camp we would stop at a laundry-mat about once a week.
    When camping east of the Mississippi where it's more humid, trying to get something to dry at night may not work.

Another option is get a motel with guest laundry about once a week and wash all your clothing.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I've done a number of multi-week trips, camping most nights. Here's a quick summary of my travel kit:

1 pair of armored riding pants, 1 armored riding jacket (jacket and pants are both waterproof), Gerbings electric liner, 1 pair riding boots (Daytona as well...great boots), 2 pair riding gloves (a light pair and 1 pair of electric heated that plug into the Gerbings liner), 2 pair riding socks (wash one, wear one), 1 pair of sandals (I like the Tevas with the protection over your toes...popular with whitewater guides). Personal clothing includes: 3 pairs Exofficio synthetic boxers (wash, dry quickly), 2 synthetic short sleeve t-shirts,1 synthetic long sleeve t-shirt, 1 pair camping pants (the kind with zip off legs so they double as shorts), 1 fleece, 1 down, puffy jacket (down packs really small), 1 stocking cap, 1 rain hat, toiletry kit.

All of thie personal stuff easily fits into one of the saddlebags of my RT. The other saddlebag carries all of my food and camp cooking items. Tools and extra riding gear (i.e. gloves I'm not wearing, Gerbings liner, cooling vest) go into the top case. My small tool roll is very basic, so it doesn't take much room and isn't heavy. I carry camping gear in a waterproof bag that is strapped to the pillion seat (includes small axe, camping saw, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp light, etc.)

In late August, I and two friends are planning to ride a portion of the Continental Divide route, so my kit will probably be even smaller to fit my Honda CRF250L Rally. We can always live with a lot less than we think!

Have a great trip with your son!
    Have you been through my closet? Yes, heated gear covers a world of layers! You even saw my two pair of riding socks, and riding underwear?? My summer 3 BMW pants are both armoured AND zip off legs. I think your list nails a sane outline for me. The summer 3 BMW pants are both armoured AND have zip off legs. Those and either a light rain overpant or the ADV aerostitch pants should do the trick.. Funny I didn't get all analytic last few trips- through much more variable conditions- last year we did snowed rockies to Utah desert and everything in between- another year Nova Scotia, maine, Cape Breton- no problem. The expression "making a mountain out of a molehill" comes to mind. Thanks for your keep it simple response.

And, don't forget USPS is there for you if you pack too much.
    Send it home!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Send it home!

Voni
    sMiling
    +1!
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Send it home!

Voni
    sMiling
    And Citi-card is here for me if I pack too little...win-win

RK Ryder
    Send it home!

Voni
    sMiling
    Would you believe that every time I've mailed items home, a few days later I have had need of those items.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

On more than one occasion I was short a shirt or even a sweatshirt because of low overnight camping temperatures. Truck stops have the best deals on last-year's local high school apparel. I have bought a sweatshirt for $3 at a truckstop because they needed to sell the 2014 stuff so they could stock the 2016 stuff.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Rick, if you're having issues with packing space I'm figuring you don't have the 49L top-case and just have the panniers. Perhaps not, but I've always found for one-up, motel-based trips, regardless of length, that with the 49L case I've got no need for even a tank bag. I've got three tank bags that haven't seen use in several years even though I typically do at least 1 or 2 multi-week rides each year.

For me, my packing is based on weather and the lack of predictability around it. Having said that, most of your riding will likely be in mid-80F to mid-90F weather. For that, I prefer to lean towards airflow and rain protection. If you use an external one-piece rain suit like I do (Rev'It and BMW have good ones), then the rain suit can do double-duty as a thermal wind barrier when it is cold. I have more gear than I should and have to look at thinning the herd, but, that's another story.

This year will be the first time I've considered taking two outfits (BMW AirFlow and Rev'It Sand-3 suits) but I'm thinking about mailing the heavy one (Rev'It) to SC. I "think" that might happen, but I just bought the Rev'It this year and don't know how well it will flow air. I'll have a better idea after using it to do the DownEast Rally in Southern Maine the 3rd week of May. My trip in June is down to the BMW Performance Center for their 2-Day Enduro School and then on to the MOA Rally in Lebanon, TN and then back to Nova Scotia. The 2-Day Enduro School is what has me thinking that I'd like the Sand-3 suit as it will stand up to the inevitable offs during the School far better than the AirFlow. If the May trip shows that the Sand-3 flows sufficient air, I might try just it for the trip and rely on my cooling vest and collar for relief from +90F heat.

If I were doing your trip I'd likely use the Olympia gear and take the rain liner and if room permitted, the thermal liner. I have travelled with both my BMW Allround boots and Rev'It riding shoes, but most often it is the Allround boots and a pair of deck shoes in the top-case for easy access. I put my sunglass case and a few other items inside the deck shoes so they take up a little less overall space. The Rev'It shoes can do the same thing but aren't as quick, comfortable and easy in off-the-bike situations, but are not bad for that at all. I have used them twice as my only riding footwear when I was flying to a location and couldn't stand to be wearing my boots on a 6-hour flight.

Rather than carry a pair of jeans I often pack my BMW Summer-3 pants. They're especially great if I check-in to a hotel at 4:00-4:30 pm (avoiding rush-hour traffic) and have a ride to a restaurant vs walking. I have the Rev'It cooling vest and it works great (BMW one looks like it should as well), but both need airflow to be optimal. That's where the BMW AirFlow shines as your Olympia should.

Finally, the only thing I always take multiples of for trips is my base-layer and socks, and they are motorcycle specific items. I have LDC (Long Distance Comfort), BMW and Klim base-layers and BMW, Klim, and Rev'It socks. Two-pairs of each and you do a quick wash of that day's socks and base layer after you check-in but before you go to dinner, hang them to dry, and you're fine. Also, I use the full-length light base layers for warm weather. This only makes sense, the product is designed to wick moisture away from your skin and cool you via the evaporative effects of airflow. I appreciate that on my arms and legs as much as on my torso and butt. YMMV
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Lots of good suggestions here. Bottom line seems to be one riding suit (Jacket/Pants) and layering. You can remove and add layers. I like Merino wool, both as a mid/base layer and in a pair of riding shorts. Has worked well for me in hot, warm and cold weather. And don't forget your rain suit can be the final outside layer. You would be surprised how much heat a good rain suit will keep in, when on top of some of those layers.
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The ones with a enclosed toe are a good compromise between a shoe and sandal.
    And they save you from stubbed toes, which can make up shifts painful
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Great conversation and some excellent take-always for me. In some ways warm weather requires a little more finesse for me. Through cool mornings and evenings need to be considered. Electric gear can reduce a lot of bulk and rain gear can allow me to bring the mesh Olympia armoured suit- the rain cover for keeping heat in as well as for rain ...less bulk and easier packing. Good sandals obviate the need for a second shoe/sneaker. I will bring the BMW summer 3 pant both riding and zip off short capability. Synthetic shorts with the mesh over pants for really hot days. The summer 3 Bmw pant will also double as a regular pair of pants for campsite and walking around. As much as I like some of my cotton motorcycle image tshirts they are best left home replaced by synthetic washable quick dry I’ll probably buy a souvenir tee or two anyway! Again counter intuitively I’ll bring electric gloves as well as my held airstream 2 (highly recommend btw) I have the motoskivies padded underpants for high mileage days and the revit and motoskivies compression socks which seem to help cramping and can double as I regular socks with the sandals at the campsite. Finally I think I may(maybe) take one pair of long underwear (maybe) and definitely my long sleeved silk undershirt. Silk is amazing and seems to “know” if it’s supposed to warm or cool you!

We never discussed toiletries so I’m still working that out. I suppose deodorant (for others, not me lol) but might forego shaving, will pack body wash/shampoo and my microfiber hiking towel. Probably talcum powder for the boys(!) and that goes in the tank bag along with sunscreen and bug stuff.

There will be motel stops and most have washing machines! Thinking back to my op for this thread, I think the hot weather riding (with several days in cooler climes) threw me a little. Funny that cold weather is easy...wear EVERYTHING and shed as necessary. Thanks for getting me back on track guys!
    Last edited by rick601; 04-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.