• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How many MC pairs of pants for 15 days?

rick601

This year son and I are headed south end of May and early June, NY- Mississippi< NOLA, Texas, Arkansas. I'm alternately dreading and excited about packing. As we're camping and I'm on the 2016 R1200RT (solo- he on his HD)Space becomes an issue I HAD considered the Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket and ADV pants non-negotiable, as well as two pair of armoured pants (BMW Summer 3 and Spirit Kevlar) Now I'm thinking more minimal. My Olympia jacket and pants and just the summer 3's. I really want to take both my Daytona Boots (for long superslab and wet days) and the BMW summer riding sneakers (comfy as heck and walkable). After toiletries, sandals, shirts, cooling vest, light casual pants, bathing suit, gloves etc etc I see a full bike.

So I'm wondering- Does one pair of riding pants work for you on an extended trip? Am I foolish leaving aerostich at home for a HOT climate ride (The olympia is good, but after Aero everything seems almost wimpy!) Are two pair of riding footwear overdoing it? Just the riding sneakers (it's hot) Just the Daytona (It's motorcycling) I know i"m courting overthinking, but at 72 I don't think I want to gut-out a consequence of poor planning. General "paring down" comments welcomed as well.

Coming from NY coolth, some hot weather packing experience could help here.
Thanks

We have never taken extra riding jackets, pants or boots.
Done a lot of 3 week trips and our longest trip was 5.5 weeks.
We've had trips with temps below 20F and over 100F in the same trip.

Last edited:
Back in late May to mid June 2011, I travelled south from Ontario due south then through MO, AR, TX, OK, NM, CO, AR, CA then N to San Francisco and from there westward home to Ontario. Wore my mesh gear and left my electric gloves and liner at home (because of the time of year and traveling through the southern states). We were gone about 23 days. There were 3, I repeat 3 days when I was not cold. California and Colorado still had a lot of snow in the mountains.

My advice is pack for cooler weather rather than anticipating a lot of warm weather.

Last edited:
Back in late May to mid June 2011, I travelled south from Ontario due south then through MO, AR, TX, OK, NM, CO, AR, CA then N to San Francisco and from there westward home to Ontario. Wore my mesh gear and left my electric gloves and liner at home (because of the time of year and traveling through the southern states). We were gone about 23 days. There were 3, I repeat 3 days when I was not cold. California and Colorado still a lot of snow in the mountains.

My advice is pack for cooler weather rather than anticipating a lot of warm weather.

interesting...the olympia is indeed three pieces- Mesh, insulate and rain, Pants two- mesh and rain. OTOH The aero accomplishes it all in one but packs a lot bigget

Rick, IMO you are packing way too much. My Aerostich Darian is mandatory for a year-round road trip. Never ride any distance w/o it. But underneath, one pair of regular jeans in the winter or one pair of lightweight "fishing" pants (synthetic material that dries quickly) in the cooler months. Shirts, socks and underwear are from my "riding pile" at home. These are old clothing items that I have worn holes in throughout the year and they get washed, folded and saved until the next m/c trip. They can be wadded up in a dry bag. As I wear them, I throw them away at the motel. If I run short there is always a Walmart along the route. Bottom line: my bags are mostly empty when I get home after a two-week trip, and I immediately start accumulating throwaway clothing for the next trip.

These days I pull a small one wheel trailer on longer trips and would still take just one riding jacket, the matching riding pants and only one pair of boots.

My Motoport riding gear for the last twelve years is mesh. It works in cooler weather with an electric jacket underneath and in the high 20s with not only the electrics, but with rain gear over top of it with thin long John's protecting my legs.

The only time it was inadequate was when I neglected to pack electrics on the above mentioned California trip.

You are really going to burdened with way too much gear, at least in my opinion.

I wear a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. Take the top off and it’s a mesh jacket, put the top on and it’s really warm and waterproof (but a bit heavy). No screwing around getting soaked trying to put liners in when it rains, no roasting because you don’t have a mesh jacket. It has a ton of pockets, too.
On the other hand I have Rev’it sand pants, which have warmth and waterproof liners. You have to guess what you need for the day before you start, unless you’re prepared to strip to your underwear on the roadside every time the weather changes.
For that reason I also take a pair of leather pants with over pants. I could manage with just these but they’re hot in the sun and too cool in the cold.
For my long trip I’m planning to take a pair of walking shoes, too. It’s all bulky stuff.
And then there’s the electric jacket.
It’s not easy...

Aerostich Darian Jacket

and Aerostich Roadcrafter pants
or
Kevlar lined jeans with knee pad inserts
Light weight rain pants

Boots
Keen sandals

Helmet

Vented gloves
Gauntlet gloves
Deerskin gloves

One set of pants.

Thank-you! I’ve smelt worse. Lol A part of me knew there would be as many opinions as responders but often with these types of questions, aside from the detours, a theme emerges. One pair indeed. It also sounds like one pair of riding boots with accessible sandals for walking and campsite. I’m still back and forth with roadcrafter and adv pants (or whatever the lighter than roadcrafter were) or the Olympia set. Though I did get the aero for trips. And I survived the Utah desert with them last year. I think I must enjoy this agonizing, or I’m crazy. That’s not a question guys!

Gear

I travel with the Olympia AirGlide 3 jacket and heated jacket packed in case of cold weather. I wear Motoport mesh pants year around. If it get cold, I wear long underwear and my rain pants over the riding pants to add a layer of insulation. I never wear jeans under the riding pants and usually will pack 1 pair of jeans for when I am off the bike and a couple pairs of shorts. We will travel for 9 - 10 days and come home with clean clothes using the trunk and one saddlebag. I wear the same shirt riding for a few days and it is the kind I can wash in the motel sink and it will be dry in the morning.

Aerostich Darian Jacket

and Aerostich Roadcrafter pants
or
Kevlar lined jeans with knee pad inserts
Light weight rain pants

Boots
Keen sandals

Helmet

Vented gloves
Gauntlet gloves
Deerskin gloves

There ya go. Works for me, maybe with one fewer pair of gloves. ..maybe. I hadn’t thought of just the roadcrafter jacket and armored pants with rain cover. I’m gonna check temps for the intended route.

3 pairs of riding pants? Pick the one you can not live without. I would wear the lightest pair you have for warm weather. Chances are you will see more heat than cold.

I did a recent trip, 16 straight days in the saddle. I was up in Glacier Park and down to Palm Springs. First have of the trip I wore my heated gear. Second have temps went into the 90's and 100's. I have Klim Badlands jacket and pants. I wore wicking gear in the hot and soaked them. The kilm was a great outerwear. Hot in the heat but with the correct venting and wet base layer it was ok. The first half of the trip was really rainy. Some monsoonal rains. I stayed dry. Point of all of this is you only need one set of outer gear. Less packing if it is waterproof. I take at least two long trips a year and this "system" always works well.
Don't over pack! Just one pair of boots and some comfortable light shoes when done riding.

Headed to Siberia/Mongolia/stans in 2020 I will only be taking one riding jacket, pants and boots. One pair of offbike footware, most likely something minimal and light, I'm thinking a pair of Sanuks big enough I can wear socks, typically I wear Sanuks barefoot. People will talk to you all days long about to pack and what not to pack but the only way to know for sure is to learn what works for you. Either way from your description you are considering waaay too much gear, if you really want that much crap pack your car.

Rick, IMO you are packing way too much. My Aerostich Darian is mandatory for a year-round road trip. Never ride any distance w/o it. But underneath, one pair of regular jeans in the winter or one pair of lightweight "fishing" pants (synthetic material that dries quickly) in the cooler months. Shirts, socks and underwear are from my "riding pile" at home. These are old clothing items that I have worn holes in throughout the year and they get washed, folded and saved until the next m/c trip. They can be wadded up in a dry bag. As I wear them, I throw them away at the motel. If I run short there is always a Walmart along the route. Bottom line: my bags are mostly empty when I get home after a two-week trip, and I immediately start accumulating throwaway clothing for the next trip.

This. My Darien and AD-1 pants work from well below freezing in New England winter to 107° last year in the Arizona Summer. What matters isn't what you wear on the outside, but what is or isn't underneath. I'm a backpacker and sea kayaker so I own tons of base and mid layers. These pack nice and small. In the heat, it's nothing but wicking boxers and a wicking t-shirt underneath. In winter I might wear expedition-weight thermals and one or two down mid layers up top.

I agree that I've never packed two pairs of riding footwear. Usually, it's my Dainese boots for the bike and a pair of Merrill low hikers for everything else off the bike. If space is really an issue I skip the riding boots and use my heavy hiking boots. For your hot humid climate with the potential for some cool rainy days, I'd carry a couple wicking t-shirts, one set each of light and midweight thermals, and probably a down vest. Shirts and thermals can be washed in a sink and will dry overnight. Add a pair of jeans and you're good for weeks.

I've done a number of multi-week trips, camping most nights. Here's a quick summary of my travel kit:

1 pair of armored riding pants, 1 armored riding jacket (jacket and pants are both waterproof), Gerbings electric liner, 1 pair riding boots (Daytona as well...great boots), 2 pair riding gloves (a light pair and 1 pair of electric heated that plug into the Gerbings liner), 2 pair riding socks (wash one, wear one), 1 pair of sandals (I like the Tevas with the protection over your toes...popular with whitewater guides). Personal clothing includes: 3 pairs Exofficio synthetic boxers (wash, dry quickly), 2 synthetic short sleeve t-shirts,1 synthetic long sleeve t-shirt, 1 pair camping pants (the kind with zip off legs so they double as shorts), 1 fleece, 1 down, puffy jacket (down packs really small), 1 stocking cap, 1 rain hat, toiletry kit.

All of thie personal stuff easily fits into one of the saddlebags of my RT. The other saddlebag carries all of my food and camp cooking items. Tools and extra riding gear (i.e. gloves I'm not wearing, Gerbings liner, cooling vest) go into the top case. My small tool roll is very basic, so it doesn't take much room and isn't heavy. I carry camping gear in a waterproof bag that is strapped to the pillion seat (includes small axe, camping saw, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp light, etc.)

In late August, I and two friends are planning to ride a portion of the Continental Divide route, so my kit will probably be even smaller to fit my Honda CRF250L Rally. We can always live with a lot less than we think!

Have a great trip with your son!

Take what you think is right for you, based on these suggestions given and what you believe meets your tour's requirements. Paul's list above probably matches what I've developed over the 45 years or so I've been touring (bicycle and motorcycle). One thing I always do -- still to this day -- is go over the list of what I took on my last trip as soon as I'm home. and match it to what I needed. Did I need an item and didn't have it? Make a note and include it next time. Did I carry something with me and not use it? Why wasn't it used? If it was truly excess baggage, leave it home next time. But be careful! If you didn't use your rain gear because it didn't rain, that's not truly excess baggage! In about 3 trips, using this method, you should have your travel gear dialed in perfectly for you!

Now that we motel on trips we carry synthetic clothing I can wash in the sink and dry over night.
When we used to camp we would stop at a laundry-mat about once a week.
When camping east of the Mississippi where it's more humid, trying to get something to dry at night may not work.

Another option is get a motel with guest laundry about once a week and wash all your clothing.

Back