• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many MC pairs of pants for 15 days?

I've done a number of multi-week trips, camping most nights. Here's a quick summary of my travel kit:

1 pair of armored riding pants, 1 armored riding jacket (jacket and pants are both waterproof), Gerbings electric liner, 1 pair riding boots (Daytona as well...great boots), 2 pair riding gloves (a light pair and 1 pair of electric heated that plug into the Gerbings liner), 2 pair riding socks (wash one, wear one), 1 pair of sandals (I like the Tevas with the protection over your toes...popular with whitewater guides). Personal clothing includes: 3 pairs Exofficio synthetic boxers (wash, dry quickly), 2 synthetic short sleeve t-shirts,1 synthetic long sleeve t-shirt, 1 pair camping pants (the kind with zip off legs so they double as shorts), 1 fleece, 1 down, puffy jacket (down packs really small), 1 stocking cap, 1 rain hat, toiletry kit.

All of thie personal stuff easily fits into one of the saddlebags of my RT. The other saddlebag carries all of my food and camp cooking items. Tools and extra riding gear (i.e. gloves I'm not wearing, Gerbings liner, cooling vest) go into the top case. My small tool roll is very basic, so it doesn't take much room and isn't heavy. I carry camping gear in a waterproof bag that is strapped to the pillion seat (includes small axe, camping saw, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp light, etc.)

In late August, I and two friends are planning to ride a portion of the Continental Divide route, so my kit will probably be even smaller to fit my Honda CRF250L Rally. We can always live with a lot less than we think!

Have a great trip with your son!

Have you been through my closet? Yes, heated gear covers a world of layers! You even saw my two pair of riding socks, and riding underwear?? My summer 3 BMW pants are both armoured AND zip off legs. I think your list nails a sane outline for me. The summer 3 BMW pants are both armoured AND have zip off legs. Those and either a light rain overpant or the ADV aerostitch pants should do the trick.. Funny I didn't get all analytic last few trips- through much more variable conditions- last year we did snowed rockies to Utah desert and everything in between- another year Nova Scotia, maine, Cape Breton- no problem. The expression "making a mountain out of a molehill" comes to mind. Thanks for your keep it simple response.

And, don't forget USPS is there for you if you pack too much.
Send it home!

Voni
sMiling

On more than one occasion I was short a shirt or even a sweatshirt because of low overnight camping temperatures. Truck stops have the best deals on last-year's local high school apparel. I have bought a sweatshirt for $3 at a truckstop because they needed to sell the 2014 stuff so they could stock the 2016 stuff.

Rick, if you're having issues with packing space I'm figuring you don't have the 49L top-case and just have the panniers. Perhaps not, but I've always found for one-up, motel-based trips, regardless of length, that with the 49L case I've got no need for even a tank bag. I've got three tank bags that haven't seen use in several years even though I typically do at least 1 or 2 multi-week rides each year.

For me, my packing is based on weather and the lack of predictability around it. Having said that, most of your riding will likely be in mid-80F to mid-90F weather. For that, I prefer to lean towards airflow and rain protection. If you use an external one-piece rain suit like I do (Rev'It and BMW have good ones), then the rain suit can do double-duty as a thermal wind barrier when it is cold. I have more gear than I should and have to look at thinning the herd, but, that's another story.

This year will be the first time I've considered taking two outfits (BMW AirFlow and Rev'It Sand-3 suits) but I'm thinking about mailing the heavy one (Rev'It) to SC. I "think" that might happen, but I just bought the Rev'It this year and don't know how well it will flow air. I'll have a better idea after using it to do the DownEast Rally in Southern Maine the 3rd week of May. My trip in June is down to the BMW Performance Center for their 2-Day Enduro School and then on to the MOA Rally in Lebanon, TN and then back to Nova Scotia. The 2-Day Enduro School is what has me thinking that I'd like the Sand-3 suit as it will stand up to the inevitable offs during the School far better than the AirFlow. If the May trip shows that the Sand-3 flows sufficient air, I might try just it for the trip and rely on my cooling vest and collar for relief from +90F heat.

If I were doing your trip I'd likely use the Olympia gear and take the rain liner and if room permitted, the thermal liner. I have travelled with both my BMW Allround boots and Rev'It riding shoes, but most often it is the Allround boots and a pair of deck shoes in the top-case for easy access. I put my sunglass case and a few other items inside the deck shoes so they take up a little less overall space. The Rev'It shoes can do the same thing but aren't as quick, comfortable and easy in off-the-bike situations, but are not bad for that at all. I have used them twice as my only riding footwear when I was flying to a location and couldn't stand to be wearing my boots on a 6-hour flight.

Rather than carry a pair of jeans I often pack my BMW Summer-3 pants. They're especially great if I check-in to a hotel at 4:00-4:30 pm (avoiding rush-hour traffic) and have a ride to a restaurant vs walking. I have the Rev'It cooling vest and it works great (BMW one looks like it should as well), but both need airflow to be optimal. That's where the BMW AirFlow shines as your Olympia should.

Finally, the only thing I always take multiples of for trips is my base-layer and socks, and they are motorcycle specific items. I have LDC (Long Distance Comfort), BMW and Klim base-layers and BMW, Klim, and Rev'It socks. Two-pairs of each and you do a quick wash of that day's socks and base layer after you check-in but before you go to dinner, hang them to dry, and you're fine. Also, I use the full-length light base layers for warm weather. This only makes sense, the product is designed to wick moisture away from your skin and cool you via the evaporative effects of airflow. I appreciate that on my arms and legs as much as on my torso and butt. YMMV

Lots of good suggestions here. Bottom line seems to be one riding suit (Jacket/Pants) and layering. You can remove and add layers. I like Merino wool, both as a mid/base layer and in a pair of riding shorts. Has worked well for me in hot, warm and cold weather. And don't forget your rain suit can be the final outside layer. You would be surprised how much heat a good rain suit will keep in, when on top of some of those layers.

Great conversation and some excellent take-always for me. In some ways warm weather requires a little more finesse for me. Through cool mornings and evenings need to be considered. Electric gear can reduce a lot of bulk and rain gear can allow me to bring the mesh Olympia armoured suit- the rain cover for keeping heat in as well as for rain ...less bulk and easier packing. Good sandals obviate the need for a second shoe/sneaker. I will bring the BMW summer 3 pant both riding and zip off short capability. Synthetic shorts with the mesh over pants for really hot days. The summer 3 Bmw pant will also double as a regular pair of pants for campsite and walking around. As much as I like some of my cotton motorcycle image tshirts they are best left home replaced by synthetic washable quick dry I’ll probably buy a souvenir tee or two anyway! Again counter intuitively I’ll bring electric gloves as well as my held airstream 2 (highly recommend btw) I have the motoskivies padded underpants for high mileage days and the revit and motoskivies compression socks which seem to help cramping and can double as I regular socks with the sandals at the campsite. Finally I think I may(maybe) take one pair of long underwear (maybe) and definitely my long sleeved silk undershirt. Silk is amazing and seems to “know” if it’s supposed to warm or cool you!

We never discussed toiletries so I’m still working that out. I suppose deodorant (for others, not me lol) but might forego shaving, will pack body wash/shampoo and my microfiber hiking towel. Probably talcum powder for the boys(!) and that goes in the tank bag along with sunscreen and bug stuff.

There will be motel stops and most have washing machines! Thinking back to my op for this thread, I think the hot weather riding (with several days in cooler climes) threw me a little. Funny that cold weather is easy...wear EVERYTHING and shed as necessary. Thanks for getting me back on track guys!

Last edited:
but might forego shaving,

On trips I use a Gillette Sensor because it doesn't take up much room.
A 2.75 oz. sample can of Edge shaving cream will last several weeks.

20190428_090624.jpg

10 days is my longest ride
Motoport pants and jacket
One pair of cargo shorts
One swimsuit
3 pairs micro fiber boxers
6 micro t shirts, short and long sleeve
1 pair tennis shoes and sweat socks
Always stay in hotels, wash out underwear, socks andTshirts in the shower using small packets of woolite
Dry by morning

For a week or two I will take a spare pair of jeans, shorts, maybe three t-shirts, six pairs of socks and underwear. I will toss virtually every thing in one load in clothes washer at a motel and I am good for another week. If the missus comes with it is hard to say! She is a bit of a clothes horse.

I have a trailer for my Harley and bought a Unigo for my RT so sometimes I just give up and pack heavy! One trip we made to see our daughter she packed high heels and a dress, and I had a dress shirt, pants and shoes.

I am planning for a six to eight week trip to Alaska this June/July. Moteling, but prepared to camp.

Riding Gear - Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants, TCX Boots, Two pair of MotoskiviZ Compression socks, 2 LD Comfort LS shirts, 1 LD Comfort Longjohn bottom, 1 HW Merino wool bottom, Gerbing Electric Jacket, Klim Goretex Gloves, Klim Mesh Gloves.

Other clothing - 2 skivvy shorts, 3 quick dry tee shirts, two pair quick dry nylon socks, one pair light nylon trousers, 1 LS Quick Dry Fishing Shirt, 1 pair jeans, 1 pair light nylon shorts, Merino Wool sweater, packable rain shell jacket, light comfortable low shoes, shower shoes, Headnet, ball cap. It all fits in one dry bag which goes on the seat behind me attached with two ROK Straps.

If you've got useful motorcycle riding pants, they've got CE protectors in the knees and perhaps the hips. Pants like that don't really fold up for packing ... so, one.

If you've got useful motorcycle riding pants, they've got CE protectors in the knees and perhaps the hips. Pants like that don't really fold up for packing ... so, one.

and the aerostich protectors are particularly fold unfriendly! hence Olympia for this hot weather trip.

I have sized my riding pants to go over a typical pair moisture wicking cargo shorts. Sorry ladies I know cargo shorts are nearly a Crocs level form of birth control. When I get to a destination that is longer than lunch stop I strip down to the shorts and a pair of the aforementioned Keens right next to the bike. Great for an afternoon hike, airshow or antique car event and a place to change is not needed. Usually can get by with one pair of over pants and the inner shorts are easier to pack than full pants.

“Crocks level form of birth control “. Love it.

From a guy who wears, and has worn for most of his adult life, Army-issue style eyeglasses, commonly called BCDs (birth control devices), this IS really funny. I also love it.

Back