• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Pittsburgh Pa

jd135

Hello, new member fro Pittsburgh Pa. I've owned a couple BMW's in the past (R1150GS, K1100lt) and enjoyed them but always got scared or angry at expensive parts or potential failures. After riding other machines I realized they were really the only bikes I enjoyed riding and was comfortable on, with the exception of a well set up 98 VFR. I recall 20 years ago seeing people touring on K75's and thinking "they're doing it right". I never identified with the Harley/pirate phenomenon here in the US but have always had a passion for motorbikes.
I'm considering purchasing a used R1200rt and look forward to spending time with some others with a passion for motorbikes.

Welcome to the forum! The R1200RT is an all around good bike, but there are always "issues" but you should be able to settle in well. Good luck on your hunt!

Welcome to the forum, jd. Since you said you were comfortable and liked your "well set-up VFR" perhaps you should be looking at a smaller sport-tourer? An RT is a fine machine, but it is large and heavy compared to my ST. BMWs are fine bikes and that is the basic idea for this entire forum, but so are most other brands, too. Take a look and test-ride on a Honda sport tourer or Yamaha or whatever. If Ducati still made their sport tourers I would recommend that; their Multistrada doesn't fit me well, but it might be perfect for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search/journey.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice and welcome. Believe it or not a 2000 VFR is kinda heavy, 463lb wet, and I'm going with a camhead RT which is about 580 or so. I have a little CB500F for jaunts around town looking for something comfy for long trips. Was going to pull the trigger on an FJR but going to try an RT first. FJR is still on my list of bikes to own some day. I did join 4 winds but haven't had the opportunity to meet up for a ride yet.

Thanks for the advice and welcome. Believe it or not a 2000 VFR is kinda heavy, 463lb wet, and I'm going with a camhead RT which is about 580 or so. I have a little CB500F for jaunts around town looking for something comfy for long trips. Was going to pull the trigger on an FJR but going to try an RT first. FJR is still on my list of bikes to own some day. I did join 4 winds but haven't had the opportunity to meet up for a ride yet.

Having owned both, I'd go with an RT over the FJR, in a heartbeat.
The FJR is both heavier than the RT and it carries its weight up higher, resulting in less comfort at slow speeds and at stops. The FJR has more power and therefore has more straight-line grunt, but I think the RT has it all over it when the turns get tighter. Finally, my FJR had a miserable buzz right at cruising RPM, and from what I've read, don't think the problem is restricted to my particular bike.
I'm betting that, having ridden an RT, the FJR will ever look so good.

Back