• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013RT Clutch replacement procedure question

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
about to embark on replacing the clutch on my 13RT and wondered why the RepRom says the throttle bodies need to be removed....everything related seems to be aft of the bodies, i can see the need to remove the fuel tank to get to harnesses and such but not the moving of the TBs...:scratch

please Wise Ones...enlighten me...

wyman

You need to remove them in order to split the bike in two. (At least disconnect them)

It could also be to avoid damaging them when you reconnect to two halfs of the bike.

I did it on mine 2 yrs ago by following the procedure on the RSD DVD. Since I'm no mechanic and had never done anything like that before, I didn't question it.

One thing that was not mentioned in the procedure was to remove the throttle body cable box from the air filter box. Otherwise the bike will not separate.:banghead

I installed a heavy duty kevlar friction disk. Cheaper than the OEM and oil & heat resistant.

Another thing to be careful with, is not to disconnect the drive shaft from the FD spline when you separate or reconnect the two halfs of the bike DAMHIK

If you haven't seen it, here's the job in 60sec...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpzVrj4mxBE

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Another thing to be careful with, is not to disconnect the drive shaft from the FD spline when you separate or reconnect the two halfs of the bike DAMHIK

thanks Dann and good morning...:)

i actually plan on pulling the swingarm and drive shaft to service the pivots and grease the front splines of the drive shaft while doing the clutch...

your pics make it clear about removing the throttle bodies and divider....thanks

i have a Ted Porter clutch disk in stock as well as the new bolts and ALL motor and gearbox seals...figured i would change the seals as preventative maintenance....and it appears that the main seal is toast...

my biggest issue is finding a place for all the tupperware and parts as i remove them from the bike so to be able to park my wife's car in the garage...quality problems...LOL

Last edited:
my biggest issue is finding a place for all the tupperware and parts as i remove them from the bike so to be able to park my wife's car in the garage...quality problems...LOL

I hanged mine in the garage on bungie cords like sausages...

My "shop" is in a carport attached to a building that serves as a tool room, a storage room, a bathroom and also as a bunkhouse guest bedroom separate from the house. Thus tupperwear, tank bags, and assorted stuff taken off during service gets laid out nicely on the guest bed(s). :)

Sheared spines on a 2013...Great. I had that problem on my 02RT at 32,000, never thought Id have to worry about that on my 2013...Cuurapppp.

Sheared spines on a 2013...Great. I had that problem on my 02RT at 32,000, never thought Id have to worry about that on my 2013...Cuurapppp.

i would not worry...it appears that my spline issue is the ONLY one the mother ship has encountered on the 2010-2013 RT....they even sent an engineer to retrieve the parts from my bike...been flawless ever since...

Back