Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMW Motorcycles of Iowa City Moved

BMW Motorcycles of Iowa City Moved

A friend stopped at the Iowa City shop the other day and he said the old Gina's building has a For Sale sign out front.
    He said the bikes are now located in the Sun and Fun Motorsports multi brand shop down the street.
    I don't see anything on the BMW Motorcycles of Iowa City website mentioning the move.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Iowa city

I talked to the owner and he said they are having trouble with the website.
    Thanks
    Steve from Iowa

John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Yep the owner owns both shops.
    I'm surprised there's enough room for the BMWs.
    My friend said the BMWs are on the mezzanine.

This link has pictures of the shop.
    https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowDXoECAsQBg

The narrow walkway doesn't look like a good setup when you want to check out a bike.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I am disappointed. Gina's was a great shop. This one looks not so much. Another great dealer down the tubes, perchance.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am disappointed. Gina's was a great shop. This one looks not so much. Another great dealer down the tubes, perchance.
    I'm not a big fan of shops with a lot of different brands.
    I may ride over next month and check it out. If not in May we'll stop in during the Iowa Rally.
    I wonder if everyone at both shops were able to keep there jobs.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I wonder if everyone at both shops were able to keep there jobs.
    Probably not. My very limited experience with these 5 or 6 brand shops has been that they keep maybe one BMW tech who gets lost in the hustle of the multiple Japanese brands. Usually parts inventory is limited and most everything gets ordered so a one hour job keeps a bike hostage for several days.

That said I have had very good results dealing with at least two unlikely married BMW - Harley shops; one in Wisconsin and one in Colorado; and one good 3 or 4 brand shop in Washington.

There was a time when BMW NA (now BMW Motorrad USA) would not allow these multi-brand shops. Two brands maybe but even that was discouraged. Then deals like BMW-Triumph, BMW-Ducati, and even BMW-HD became allowable. Then the debacle of a few BMW motorcycle and BMW car dealerships emerged. A few were good, several were disasters for the motorcycle owners and riders. Now Gina sold in Iowa City and we get this. And Robert Krull and Peter sold Lonestar in Austin and now the franchise is like the one in Iowa City. Time will tell whether these deals work for the bike owner/rider. I'm am suspicious.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Probably not. My very limited experience with these 5 or 6 brand shops has been that they keep maybe one BMW tech who gets lost in the hustle of the multiple Japanese brands. Usually parts inventory is limited and most everything gets ordered so a one hour job keeps a bike hostage for several days.

And Robert Krull and Peter sold Lonestar in Austin and now the franchise is like the one in Iowa City. Time will tell whether these deals work for the bike owner/rider. I'm am suspicious.
    The name has changed this week in Austin to the multi line dealer located on I-35 in North Austin. I still cringe if I need to ride to it due to location and lack of community feel. The last thing I purchased here was our Kawasaki Mule in 2007 prior to Lone Stars' sale and assimilation into the Woods conglomerate.

https://www.ridenowaustin.com/
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I was in Iowa City the other day, stopped into the dealer; closed. Signs pointed to Sun&Fun down the street. Went down to see the new digs. Yep, BMW's up in the mezzanine. Yea, kinda sad to see the old dealer gone. Good to see that Iowa City gets to keep a dealership. I had a good visit, wish the new dealership success.

Just received an email saying they will have a open house this Saturday May 4th.

Open House.jpg
    Come in this Saturday, May the 4th, and help us celebrate our Spring Open House and Sales Event!
    There will be food, prizes and amazing deals on motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs and apparel.
    You can also see our newly remodeled mezzanine showroom where we feature products from BMW, Triumph and Royal Enfield.
    Come in and join the fun! Doors will open at 9 AM. See you then!!!
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Free Hot Dogs! and I am riding through there on May 4th ! The gods have smiled upon me!
    Tom Barrie
    http://bluegrasspicker.blogspot.com/
    2012 K1600GTL
    2002 R1150RT (sold)

Holy crap ... "Twelve Brands Under One Roof". I am sure BMW stands out in this circus.

They have their own space up on the mezzanine.
    Come to think of it, I can't remember the other brands. : I'm totally clueless. Sad. But, they have BMW's.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    They have their own space up on the mezzanine.
    I think I've only been in there two times and I remember the mezzanine as a very narrow walkway.
    The email mentions "remodeled mezzanine"
    Do you remember if the mezzanine is still a narrow area?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Holy crap ... "Twelve Brands Under One Roof". I am sure BMW stands out in this circus.
    What caught my eye was "200 bikes must go"
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878