• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery tender use with 2018 C650GT -- some questions

I assume the canbus system is alive and well on the newest C650GTs. I don't get my scooter till this Friday so I don't have a rider's manual yet. Is there a port on the scooter for hooking up a canbus-compliant battery tender? Is the battery hard to get to? Because I may want to bypass the canbus system and attach a regular pigtail directly to the battery terminals. I did this with my 2018 R9T so that I can use any run-of-the-mill battery tender.

Thank you! Very good. :thumb

No problem.

My last scooter was a new Honda 250 Elite, 30+ years ago, and I have been looking at all the current offerings for local riding/play time, including BMW. Been reading the manual(s). Odd concept but my OCD requires it.

GD

No problem.

My last scooter was a new Honda 250 Elite, 30+ years ago, and I have been looking at all the current offerings for local riding/play time, including BMW. Been reading the manual(s). Odd concept but my OCD requires it.

GD
From what I've read, those were good scooters. I still see them for sale on Craigslist, all the time.

I'm an old guy, pushing 70. My only scooter was a Kymco 200i (160cc). It was a nice well made scooter, just too small and under-powered for me.

Battery Tender connection point questions come up rather frequently. I’m a fan of a connector (SAE) direct to the battery. Less trouble and more flexibility.
OM

Battery Tender connection point questions come up rather frequently. I’m a fan of a connector (SAE) direct to the battery. Less trouble and more flexibility.
OM

If one is good, 4 is better. One on each side of the handlebars for GPS, second GPS or radar detector. One at left below riders seat (mid thigh) for battery charger. Also a second coaxial connector for my Warm & Safe heated gear. Then a 4th SAE two pole to connect my top box which has a DIN socket and a two pole and cig lighter style socket for charging stuff in the top box. Everything fused of course. And that is just on my G310. I had more on my R1150, and about the same on my K75s. Electrons are cheap. Distribution is just a few fuses, some wire and some connectors. Waste not, want not. :)

The dealership just called me and said that they hooked up an SAE pigtail to the battery and brought the connector end out just under the fairing. They did this for free, without me asking them to. They said I will be pleased to see how they did it. This is great news -- don't need a canbus-capable tender now. IronHorse M/C in Tucson is the best! :thumb

C650GT Battery Charging

I don't think the new revision (MY2016+) battery can be charged via the MFE/CAN bus. There is regular cigarette lighter connector in the left glove box that if I recall correctly, is hot all the time. There is a GPS power plug under the handle bar cover and the bike is wired for a Powerlet/BMW style connector option under the seat. Those might work with that type of smart charger.

I don't think the new revision (MY2016+) battery can be charged via the MFE/CAN bus. There is regular cigarette lighter connector in the left glove box that if I recall correctly, is hot all the time. There is a GPS power plug under the handle bar cover and the bike is wired for a Powerlet/BMW style connector option under the seat. Those might work with that type of smart charger.
The SAE plug/pigtail that the dealer installed on the battery comes right out under the fairing at about the same level as the lower triple tree -- an easy reach. It works great.

Back