• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help with '88 K75C master cylinder

rall275

Well, I'm taking the Master Cylinder apart because it looks like it's leaked in the past and I want to change the o ring and reservoir, lube the throttle components under there, and check the condition of the piston and rubber. I'll probably also repaint the around there that's been damaged by the leaking brake fluid.

I've removed what I could except the screw that holds the switch on and this mythical 3mm set screw I can't find. I read Drake Smith's "Repair a Leaky Master Cylinder," but the photo almost shows a metal reservoir and may be different than my bike.

Do I need to remove the combination switch's screw?

How do I access the phillips head screw holding the reservoir from below with such little clearance?

Where is this 3mm set screw?

The photos I'm sending:

reservoir that has a screw that is difficult to reach. I'm replacing this part

Drake Smith's photo of the set screw location. Can't orient it in my mind and unsure if matches mine

frontal view of my progress so far on breaking down the M/C

top view showing encrusted brake fluid and gunk

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• reservoirsml.jpg
    reservoirsml.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 168
  • set screwsml.jpg
    set screwsml.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 166
  • fullmcsml.jpg
    fullmcsml.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 166
  • topmcrealsml.jpg
    topmcrealsml.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 169
Looks like you may need to remove the master cylinder from the handle bar in order to access the reservoir retaining screw from the bottom.

I'll try to take a look at mine (85 K100RT) to see if there is room for a small bent screwdriver to fit.

Otherwise, I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly.

Monte

K75FrontMasterCylinder.PNG

Rall,

Ignore everything you've read from Drakes post. That is from a different bike.

To do anything with your master cylinder, you must remove the master cylinder.

To remove your master:

Remove the screw that holds the switch plate in place. Then slide the switch plate down 1/8" to disengage the tap that is at the top of the switch plate. Remove switch plate.

P1020141.jpg

Remove throttle gear cover (large Phillips screw between master and throttle grip). Gently pry up to lift cover straight up.

Remove two allen head bolts that hold master cylinder to lever perch. slide master cylinder away from perch. Disconnect throttle cable from chain on throttle gear. You can now easily access the screw that holds the reservuoir to the master cylinder.

P1020143.jpg

When reinstalling the throttle tube, make sure to align the line on the throttle gear with the line on the throttle tube to insure proper operation.

P1020144.jpg

Whoever lubed these throttle gears went WAY overboard with the grease!

I would strongly recommmend that you purchase a Clymers manual if you plan on continueing to work on your own bike.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee!

I'll give your instructions a go. I have a Clymer I use regularly, but their instructions on this procedure were very unclear, like their photos!

Thanks again. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Keith

K100rs master cylinder

I too am replacing the master cylinder on my K bike. I have the Haynes manual but
need help on a few issues.
1. disconnect the brake light switch When I did that it wound up like a spring from unscrewing it. How do you reinstall it without twisting it backwards before threading into the unit?

2. I wound up removing the whole thing because I couldn't fish out the master from the unit after removing the two allen screws. Wound up loosing the pinch clamp and still needed to loosen the handlebar pinch bolts to rotate everything to free it up.
So I am replacing the entire unit. I found a black wire with round crimp on the end which I don't know where it came from. Where does it get screwed to?

1. Either wind it backwards before trying to screw it in or disconnect the switch at its plug (about 18" up the wire) screw it in and then replug in. Either way, you should remove the wire ties on the wire before screwing it in and then replace the ties.

2. The eyelet gets attached to one of the master cylinder bolts. It is a ground wire.

K100rs master cylinder

Lee,
Looking at the brake light wire it goes down the rabbit hole along with that ground wire somewhere in front of the gas tank. Lot of bodywork on the rs. Any idea where I should look for the connector? What bodywork needs to be removed? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thnaks,
Joe

Lee,
Looking at the brake light wire it goes down the rabbit hole along with that ground wire somewhere in front of the gas tank. Lot of bodywork on the rs. Any idea where I should look for the connector? What bodywork needs to be removed? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thnaks,
Joe

I think the only thing tht needs to be removed is the fuel tank. And at that, maybe even just moved rearward several inches. But the tank is not hard to remove.

K100rs master cylinder

I think the only thing tht needs to be removed is the fuel tank. And at that, maybe even just moved rearward several inches. But the tank is not hard to remove.
What's the trick to attaching the throttle cable back onto end of the chain ? Seems like it just pushes the end link back. I don't seem to be able to get enough cable to come out through the grip end to catch the end link.

Hold the throttle wide open at the throttle body. That will allow for maximum cable protrusion at the grip end. Hook up the cable and release the throttle at the throttle body.

Align mark on throttle tube with line on gear as in post #3.

Back