• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another R1100(RT) brake question

tmass

So while riding, I tapped the brake and could feel something change. Got off to inspect and found both front brakes dragging I assumed that my black rubber lines (yes those ones) had failed and I made the under a mile ride home. I figured I would just need new lines, flush ect. How ever after removing calipers on the front and pushing them in and purging some ugly looking fluid. I went to push bike into garage to go order lines, and noticed my back is dragging as well. So do these 2 separate systems just happen to fail at the same time or is there something I am missing. The ABS was just kicking in when I had tapped the brakes, but I read through my Clymer and I don't see how these could have anything to do with each other. Is this just 2 random failures at exactly the same time?

So while riding, I tapped the brake and could feel something change. Got off to inspect and found both front brakes dragging I assumed that my black rubber lines (yes those ones) had failed and I made the under a mile ride home. I figured I would just need new lines, flush ect. How ever after removing calipers on the front and pushing them in and purging some ugly looking fluid. I went to push bike into garage to go order lines, and noticed my back is dragging as well. So do these 2 separate systems just happen to fail at the same time or is there something I am missing. The ABS was just kicking in when I had tapped the brakes, but I read through my Clymer and I don't see how these could have anything to do with each other. Is this just 2 random failures at exactly the same time?

The newest 1100RT on the road is now over 19 years old. The rubber brake lines they used started failing about ten years ago IIRC. Since the front and rear circuits are seperate yeah, it's kinda random but not really. It's old age catching up.

Have you been flushing both the front and rear caliper circuits AND the two ABS circuits every year and no more than two years? If not they were done years ago and you are lucky you got this far without a brake lockup.

The fact that you have really dirty brake fluid in the calipers is pretty much all you need to know. The discolouration comes from decaying rubber brake components and seals.

The newest 1100RT on the road is now over 19 years old. The rubber brake lines they used started failing about ten years ago IIRC. Since the front and rear circuits are seperate yeah, it's kinda random but not really. It's old age catching up.

Have you been flushing both the front and rear caliper circuits AND the two ABS circuits every year and no more than two years? If not they were done years ago and you are lucky you got this far without a brake lockup.

The fact that you have really dirty brake fluid in the calipers is pretty much all you need to know. The discolouration comes from decaying rubber brake components and seals.

I have not I have had it less than one year and already had them on the list to do. guess I should have done them first thing but been busy trying to fix the stuff that was having issues.

You are lucky you did not crash.

That vintage of lines have been failing for quite a while now on F's,K's & R's
Symptoms:
Ballooning of line resulting in instant loss of brakes
Interior deterioration resulting in dragging/locked brakes & ABS module failure $$$

I've replaced dozens of sets.
I prefer Spiegler brand - make sure you specify if you have bar risers to allow for a longer front master line.

Last edited:
You are lucky you did not crash.

That vintage of lines have been failing for quite a while now on F's,K's & R's
Symptoms:
Ballooning of line resulting in instant loss of brakes
Interior deterioration resulting in dragging/locked brakes & ABS module failure $$$

I've replace dozens of sets.
I prefer Spiegler brand - make sure you specify if you have bar risers to allow for a longer front master line.

I just ordered the set from Spiegler

So I have the new lines in place and was trying to get the brakes filled and bled. I am having trouble with the front system I believe I have the abs system bled well for the front. But the front wheel is still dragging I am going to try bleeding the front again. Any ideas? The calipers both moved freely and stopped dragging originally as soon as I removed the fluid and while I inspected them off the bike. used the "complete kit" to upgraded to braided.

When I bleed the system for the front I do the section between the MC and ABS first till no bubbles, then do the section between the ABS and calipers.

So I have the new lines in place and was trying to get the brakes filled and bled. I am having trouble with the front system I believe I have the abs system bled well for the front. But the front wheel is still dragging I am going to try bleeding the front again. Any ideas? The calipers both moved freely and stopped dragging originally as soon as I removed the fluid and while I inspected them off the bike. used the "complete kit" to upgraded to braided.

If a caliper drags after replacing the old rubber brake lines I would suspect a bit of rubber was left in that caliper and blocking the return flow.
I've seen it before.
Did you disassemble the calipers and clear of old fluid? Were there rubber bits in the old fluid?

Looks like it’s time to order a set of Spiegler’s. I highly recommend these. Best brake hoses you’ll find.
ec8cbe53a5e18ca9ad5d3ccd6d31d892.jpg
f69d2e4f63e4ffebbfb6ce9cef3d0627.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was temperature that changes the color of brake fluids??

I am not any expert. I have been informed that contrary to popular myth, brake fluid becomes dark when the brake fluid exceeds an certain temperature. Not wishing to start a fight, nor share my opinion versus yours, etc, do you have MC research to confirm your statement that it is the brake lines failing that makes them turn dark? The reason I ask is that under than premise, those who do not have rubber lines (I am told there are such things...braided stainless steel lines I think) would not ever see discolored fluid.

Please share any research that can explain that apparent contradiction, or correct my errors in assumptions. Thanks.

Stainless steel lines and dark fluid...question?

Someone has stated that rubber lines cause brake fluid discoloration.

If this be so, then no one with stainless steel lines would see discolored brake fluid.

What, if anything is wrong with this thought process?

Thanks.

Someone has stated that rubber lines cause brake fluid discoloration.

If this be so, then no one with stainless steel lines would see discolored brake fluid.

What, if anything is wrong with this thought process?

Thanks.

Because it is possible that several different causes may discolor the fluid. Debris may be one. Moisture may be one. Temperature may be one. I have some DOT 4 that has been opened.

Aren't stainless steel BRAIDED brake lines just rubber lines with a covering of stainless steel braid?

If a caliper drags after replacing the old rubber brake lines I would suspect a bit of rubber was left in that caliper and blocking the return flow.
I've seen it before.
Did you disassemble the calipers and clear of old fluid? Were there rubber bits in the old fluid?

I have since disassembled the calipers and cleaned found zero debris and reassembled, I also did not find rubber debris in the system(anywhere), the one old line I cut open was cracking but not crazy bad like pictures I have seen online. I am going to try to clear each individual section of line/ equipment backwards to find the spot that is not letting pressure be released.

Back