Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Knobby tire suggestions

OK, all good now. Just had my last therapy session and I'm ready to post my follow-up question. I find many choices in rear tires for an 18" rim but "few" in 18" for the front so if tire does NOT have a pattern like most street tires for wet pavement, what do you think if i I installed a rear tire (knobby, square knobs) in the front? I'd keep the rotation in the correct direction, arrow moving down/forward of course. Your comments on this idea please.

Thanks,

Doesn't the front need a 19" tire?? As for rotation, note that the forcing function for the front tire is under brake application. On the rear, the driveline is rotating the tire. But on the front, it's normally along for the ride until you hit the brakes. Then the tire is working "backwards" to resist that force. IMO a tire meant for the rear should be reversed in rotation.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Doesn't the front need a 19" tire?? As for rotation, note that the forcing function for the front tire is under brake application. On the rear, the driveline is rotating the tire. But on the front, it's normally along for the ride until you hit the brakes. Then the tire is working "backwards" to resist that force. IMO a tire meant for the rear should be reversed in rotation.
    The monoshock RT Airheads came with 18 front wheels. And yes, if running a rear tire on the front the direction of rotation should be reversed.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    The monoshock RT Airheads came with 18 front wheels.
    Ooops...I looked at the specs for the twin shock RT!
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

All, exactly the info I was looking for. Than you very much.

Lechien

Travel on Knobby Tires

so I'm head out west to some off road training and want to have knobby tires on the bike (1200 GSA, 2017) for the training. But i have to travel about 700 miles out and back with maybe a 300 mile side trip. I'm assuming I'll have 2-3000 miles on the tires. I usually change my own tires (although they are bitch with this rim and these stiff side wall tires) at home.

So thinking of putting the knobbies on at the house and travel with them, but will the knobbies beat the crap out of me or will it just be a noise issue. I'm running the Anakee III and they say they are noisy but I wear ear plugs and listen to rock and roll on the roads. Will travel back roads mostly with limited interstate road travel but still move at a similar clip on the smaller roads.

Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

Jerry.
    Peace,

Jerry.

Jerry -

Sounds like you were looking for info for your R1200 GSA. If that's correct, I'll move your post over to the Wethead section of the forum. You don't need to do anything...we'll take care of the move.