• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Review of the 2019 R1250RT

Power starts to flag at 4000 rpm on the 1200? (Ultimate Motorcycling review) Were they opening the throttle all the way?

Power starts to flag at 4000 rpm on the 1200? (Ultimate Motorcycling review) Were they opening the throttle all the way?

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. Contrary to that comment, I would say 4,000 to 4,500 rpm is where the 1200 is coming into it's "Happy Zone". Per the power and torque curves for the two in the "Common Tread" review, torque peaks on the bikes are between 6,250 and 6,500 rpm and peak power on both bikes is at 7,750 rpm.

On the one hand, the 1250 has more power, and that's a good thing. On the other hand, I moved to the R1200RT from a Yamaha FJR1300, which has more power than both of the RTs. While the grunt on the FJR and its beautifully sorted fuel injection was a continuing source of joy, I don't at all feel disappointed in the power and torque of the R1200RT.

Don't worry; be happy!

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. Contrary to that comment, I would say 4,000 to 4,500 rpm is where the 1200 is coming into it's "Happy Zone". Per the power and torque curves for the two in the "Common Tread" review, torque peaks on the bikes are between 6,250 and 6,500 rpm and peak power on both bikes is at 7,750 rpm.

On the one hand, the 1250 has more power, and that's a good thing. On the other hand, I moved to the R1200RT from a Yamaha FJR1300, which has more power than both of the RTs. While the grunt on the FJR and its beautifully sorted fuel injection was a continuing source of joy, I don't at all feel disappointed in the power and torque of the R1200RT.

Don't worry; be happy!

My last bike was an '05 FJR. I loved every minute I spent on that machine and that motor could pull up tree stumps. I could have bought a new FJR this time around but opted for a used RT. I've loved every minute spent on this one too.

" We left the desert below us and climbed Highway 74 into the mountains where the road snaked its way through the peaks. Compared to the GS, which attacked the corners, the RT seemed to wallow its way through. When we reached the first photo stop, I dove into the suspension settings and switched from Road to Dynamic damping and maxed out the preload.

This adjustment helped, but at no point throughout the day did I feel fully confident pushing this bike through the corners. Despite having a more sporting geometry than the GS when looking at the spec sheet, I felt like the GS cornered much better. Where the GS kind of just fell into the corners, the RT almost needed to be wrestled through them.

Once the road straightened out, the RT came into its own. It prefers long sweeping curves and highway miles to tighter, sportier roads."
HUH? Wallow it's way thru corners? Compared to what, the RS? Apples and oranges.

Lighting

Good stuff!

The author did refer to the R1250GS as a GT when he mentioned the TFT display, or lack of, for the RT. It would have been nice to have that included along with LED headlight as standard equipment, but I still LOVE the bike!!

Yea but you can get more power and light out of an HID light than the LED. I’ve got two HIDs installed on my 2009 RT and you can see the world out there with them. I have a third one in for the Hi beam but the HIDs take longer to brighten up so you don’t notice the Hi beam right away. It takes a few seconds.

He specifically says GS, no mention of a R bike in your quote.
Did you read the first paragraph?

" We left the desert below us and climbed Highway 74 into the mountains where the road snaked its way through the peaks. Compared to the GS, which attacked the corners, the RT seemed to wallow its way through. When we reached the first photo stop, I dove into the suspension settings and switched from Road to Dynamic damping and maxed out the preload.

This adjustment helped, but at no point throughout the day did I feel fully confident pushing this bike through the corners. Despite having a more sporting geometry than the GS when looking at the spec sheet, I felt like the GS cornered much better. Where the GS kind of just fell into the corners, the RT almost needed to be wrestled through them.

Back