• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Waterproof gloves

jamesevans

Has anyone got any recommendations for gloves that offer decent protection, keep your hands dry and don’t cost an arm and a leg? My Cortech Scarabs are OK in light rain but give up in a downpour. Plus they’re hot ( although they aren’t once your hands get soaked!).

You could try these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-air-n-dry-gloves

I've had the BMW Motorrad Version of this glove, which is also made by Held. It's a two-compartment glove...one for when it's dry and one when it's wet (Gore-Tex). I've found that I have to use waterproofing on the back of the glove to keep the leather from soaking up the rain. They also have a shield-wiper/squeegee on the left index finger.

I've had them for about 40K miles of riding. I have some ventilated Held Gloves for dry weather.

Probably a bit pricey, but they are effective.

------

Here's the BMW version: https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/p/BMW__/Glove-Two-One/72845289/GloveTwoOne.html. $50US cheaper.

Last edited:
I have a set of Aerostich Triple Digit covers for my regular gloves. They've served me will. About the only issue, somewhat minor, is that water can collect and drain down the riding suit and into the covers. That happens if the covers are on the outside of the sleeves...I suppose if I worked harder at it, I could get the covers under the covers. But would the rain then run up instead?? Not sure about things. At any rate, the covers work pretty well.

The Aerostich covers look like the answer : I d seen a Klim version but of course like all Klim stuff they were 3x the price!

I have a set of Aerostich Triple Digit covers for my regular gloves. They've served me will. About the only issue, somewhat minor, is that water can collect and drain down the riding suit and into the covers. That happens if the covers are on the outside of the sleeves...I suppose if I worked harder at it, I could get the covers under the covers. But would the rain then run up instead?? Not sure about things. At any rate, the covers work pretty well.

I have had these for several years, but maybe because of my small hands, they are always awkward for me to use. I do however over manage to get the covers over my sleeves but I always have difficulty doing up the second glove.

As I recall, the instructions that came with mine, stated to waterproof them before use.

In the colder wet weather, I use my Gerbings, which came stating that they were waterproof. After a few years, I called Gerbings to inquire if any additional measures were needed to keep them waterproof. The answer I received at the time was to annually apply waterproofing material to them.

For the past number of summers I used a summer pair of Held gloves that I sprayed with waterproofing each riding season. Now I wear a warm and dry pair of Held gloves. As of yet, no additional waterproofing has been needed. :thumb

Cheers!

Well timed post as I just finished researching the same issue. I have a pair of Alpinestar "Drystar" gloves that I got to test in a good soaking rain the other day. Dry my arse. 40 minutes and they were SOAKED.

I've got a pair of Klim Vanguard short gloves coming in next week. I'll provide a direct evaluation of those when I get them. They are only $130 for Gore Tex which is pretty damned affordable given the brands involved (Gore and Klim).

I have a pair of the BMW GS Dry Gloves and they will keep your hands dry.....if you ALWAYS wear them UNDER your cuff :banghead. However, when you pull them off and your hands get wet (as if you stop and go into a restaurant, etc.), they are extremely difficult to get back on. They are good for warmer weather but they are not warm at all. Also, I have a little trouble with the fingers of the left glove being slippery on the clutch lever :eek, but it may be because my fingers are short and I don't get a good grip on the clutch to begin with. I have to be very aware of this when I wear them. They are well made, and are holding up well. I don't like for my hands to get wet, as it messes up my riding mojo.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a pair of the Aerostich Triple Digit covers: I’ll let you know how they work out.:wave

I'm getting my Klim gloves in today and will report on their effectiveness as well. Regarding the Aerostich's, it would be very interesting to know whether they prevent water from running down the sleeve of your jacket and entering the gloves that way. That's my presumption regarding gauntlet gloves in general so it'll be interesting to see if that applies to them. I really like Aerostich and these are inexpensive enough to make them very attractive.

100% Hydromatic....

oep3437422_0830d83ad3499502508ac35c64fe31a0c7c232ee.jpg

I'm getting my Klim gloves in today and will report on their effectiveness as well. Regarding the Aerostich's, it would be very interesting to know whether they prevent water from running down the sleeve of your jacket and entering the gloves that way. That's my presumption regarding gauntlet gloves in general so it'll be interesting to see if that applies to them. I really like Aerostich and these are inexpensive enough to make them very attractive.

stitch discusses the over or under issue on the website. they also sell a short gauntlet version of the triple digit glove specifically for those that want to tuck under jacket sleeve.

I also have the BMW Dry Glove and so far they have been waterproof. I would consider them a bit bulky for summer wear, but really nice in the Spring and Autumn.

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.58.07 AM.png

My experience has been to always have at least two pairs of gloves so when the first pair gets soaked I have the opportunity to get the second pair wet too.

"Waterproof gloves" is often an oxymoron, but things might be getting better.

Got my Klim Vanguard gloves last night. Nice bit of kit these and I'm fast becoming a Klim fanboi. Of course it's not going to rain until next week so it'll be a little while until I know for sure whether they work...

Back