Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Retrofit ASC 2009 R1200RT

Update...

BMW NA spoke to the dealer and apparently they talked him through the order process for the activation code.

However, upon showing up at the dealership they just hooked my bike up to the ISTA-P computer and while they loaded option 650 (which is ASC), it did not activate on the bike.

The dealer appears to be clueless as to whether it automatically downloads when the BMW server sees my bike and VIN connected to the system, or the activation code comes by mail, or whether it comes electronically through some other means.

Iím back to pounding on BMW North America Customer Service for an answer at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangemaster - PM Sent.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Out of curiosity, what is your dealer charging you for the retrofit rangemaster?
    Current rides:
    2016 R1200RT Ebony Metallic - 12k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - 18k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2013 R1200RT 90th, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

Retrofit ASC 2009 R1200RT

There are of course three elements to this; the switch and mount, the enable code, and the shop time on the computer.

I already found a switch & installed it myself.

As soon as somebody figures out how to get the dealer the enable code weíll try again to put it in. List price on the code is about $170.

As far as dealer charges are concerned they told me a half hour of labor because all that it should take is hooking up to the computer and loading the code.

The first failed attempt was billed at 1/2 hour of shop labor... weíll see how long it takes once they actually get the enable code.

By the way, they let me be there the whole time looking at the same screens theyíre looking at.

Canít really fault the dealer in all this, it appears they never trained them to do this.

UPDATE:

Had to cancel my Ďfollow-upí service appointment this morning, as nobody at BMW NA has closed the loop with the dealer indicating the path forward on getting this code to work on my bike.

I did receive a call from Misha at BMW North America late last week indicating she thought the problem was taken care of and wanted to close out the case. I called her back and said absolutely not... and again challenged her to get someone to answer my question as to how this code is exactly delivered to the dealer and put in the bike.

In the meantime some folks have suggested it might be the ASC switch I installed on the left-hand side switch cluster. Good thought.

Yesterday I took the bodywork off, removed the gas tank and pulled the ZFE and BMSK-P modules.

I re-verified the ASC switch (which is a momentary switch) is good and functional, itís plugged into the correct wiring harness, and there is continuity all the way down to pins 37 & 38 of the BMSK-P (ECU) connector:

I also reattached my GS-911 and while it says option 650 (ASC) is now on my bike, the ASC indicator does not come on for self-test when the bike is started - nor does it illuminate when you hit the ASC switch to turn it off.

And yes...I used the GS-911 test function to verify the ASC indicator on the KOMBI (control panel) unit can illuminate.

The only conclusion I can come to now is that the download to enable this option on my bike failed or there is an additional step that needs to be done that hasnít been disclosed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rangemaster; 05-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.

I was contacted by one of MOAís Consumer Liasons...they had this situation examined and they contacted BMW...

BMW NA indicates itsí records show my bike now has ASC, and it should be enabled all the time EXCEPT when turned off with the ASC switch, which doesnít appear to make any difference. It is BMWís opinion what the switch may be defective.

My thanks to the Liasons for their efforts.

Perhaps the switch or connection is bad, Iíve seen stranger things.
    I ordered a new switch but will have to wait 2-3 weeks as none exist in the USA.

In my examination of the circuit diagram all the ASC switch really does is provide a temporary path to ground (31) on the ASC input of the ECU (BMSK-P) module.

What I find very odd is that while BMW says ASC is now installed and is likely just working all the time (and canít turn it off due to a wonky switch) why doesnít the instrument panel indicator act as the manual describes?

The ASC light (to my knowledge) should slowly flash on bike startup until itís moving at 3-5 mph (like the ABS indicator does). This doesnít happen. Ever.

Could someone with a Hexhead and ASC see if this is the case?

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post

In my examination of the circuit diagram all the ASC switch really does is provide a temporary path to ground (31) on the ASC input of the ECU (BMSK-P) module.

What I find very odd is that while BMW says ASC is now installed and is likely just working all the time (and canít turn it off due to a wonky switch) why doesnít the instrument panel indicator act as the manual describes?

The ASC light (to my knowledge) should slowly flash on bike startup until itís moving at 3-5 mph (like the ABS indicator does). This doesnít happen. Ever.

Could someone with a Hexhead and ASC see if this is the case?
    I have a 2013 RT with factory installed ASC. The light does indeed flash, in tandem with the ABS light, until I roll away.

I wish you great luck in your endeavor!
    2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition, 2019 - Present ; 2003 Honda ST1300, 2015-2019; 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2016-2019; 1984 Honda GL1200, 1991; 1984 Yamaha XJ700, 1990-1991; 1976 Kawasaki KZ900, 1984; 1971 Honda CB750, 1981-1983

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordhayes View Post
    I have a 2013 RT with factory installed ASC. The light does indeed flash, in tandem with the ABS light, until I roll away.

I wish you great luck in your endeavor!
    I just got a video from another 09 RT owner that has ASC; his indicator light does exactly what your Ď13 RT does.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bph2v3b6qj..._7929.mov?dl=0

So it appears there may have been a problem with the firmware download...I will be pursuing this (again) with BMW on Monday.

rangemaster, your patience is admirable!
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

SOLVED...

Got to thinking about this even more this morning after a conference call I had with some German engineers about our control equipment dealing with firmware changes.

You see, my Ďreal jobí is as an engineer for a multinational company doing motor drive applications (big AC and DC motors running cranes, bridges, paper machines, etc.).

One of the subjects covered had to do with a firmware change to our control panel (which has an LED process display, function buttons, etc.). The Germans mentioned this latest firmware update required us to flash the coding in this control panel as well so the operator could tell itís working.

Hmmmm...so on a break today I put on a helmet & gloves and took the RT out to my steep, curving, gravel-covered driveway and attempted to spin the back wheel (hey, it was that or the wheelie ExGMan suggested).

The bike cut back power when the rear wheel broke loose...ergo, ASC must be active...but why no indication on the instrument panel?

So I connected the GS-911 and it confirmed that Option 650 (ASC) was installed. I also tested the ASC indicator with the GS and it illuminated...

Next I disconnected the 911 and hooked up my OBDLink LX Bluetooth unit and 10-pin adapter cable, and started the MotoScan Pro app on the Android phone.

Just like with the Hex GS-911 it shows ASC installed (option 650):

Next I interrogated the ECU (BMSK-P) and found ASC installed and enabled (not in GS mode, which makes sense because this is an RT):

So on a hunch I looked in the KOMBI (instrument panel)module coding section and found the ASC indicator was turned OFF (I turned it ON before this screen shot), then pushed to code down to the module:

Testing shows that the ASC indicator now works as the ridersí manual describes, and it also proved (1) my switch is good and (2) wired correctly. I can now turn ASC on and off and have a good panel indicator.

So...the download by the dealer to add ASC enable to the BMSK-P was successful...BUT the tech should have also been advised by BMW to flash the KOMBI module as well.

Without the KOMBI coding most folks would never know if ASC was in the bike, or turned on or off....

Luckily in my case I had MotoScan Pro and could access/change the coding for the KOMBI module.

Last edited by rangemaster; 05-20-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Isnít that very cool
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200