Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit ASC 2009 R1200RT

Retrofit ASC 2009 R1200RT

Running into a bit of frustration in attempting to do an ASC retrofit on my 2009 R1200RT...

The retrofit involves adding the ASC switch (which I have done), then having the dealer enter the enabling code for ASC with the service computer (p/n 13 61 7 728 272).

The dealer says BMW will not accept the order for some odd reason....and yes, I provided the VIN which was entered with the order.

On the RT (K26), ASC retrofit should be available for bikes with ABS II, chassis numbers starting with ZR60266 (mine has a later number, so should be good to go).

I believe the procedure is to order the code, then have the dealer connect the service computer to the bike and the the BMW server will allow them to enable that feature for that VIN...but BMW is not accepting the order.

I sent a long email to BMW NA explaining the dilemma and requesting assistance, awaiting a response.

Is my dealer just inexperienced at this?

I had ASC on my last 09 RT and would really like it to be enabled on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting there's a thread in the Similar Thread pane at the bottom of the screen with the same title. Might be some good reading!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Maybe itís an incentive to buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Interesting there's a thread in the Similar Thread pane at the bottom of the screen with the same title. Might be some good reading!
    Hmmm... donít see that, but probably because Iím using Tapatalk on a mobile device.

I also posted this info on the BMW MOA forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
    Hmmm... donít see that, but probably because Iím using Tapatalk on a mobile device.

All the way down the page in the "similar threads" panel.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post

I can't speak to what you see on Tapatalk...but I would think it shows more or less what I see. You wouldn't see this information unless you came back to your own thread as the match-up doesn't show up until you've posted and the "system" has time to comb around and find things that might be relevant.

As for posting this "on the BMW MOA forum...". This IS the BMWMOA forum. Did you mean something or somewhere else?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Haha... correct this is the MOA forum!
    Getting old sucks. I meant to post that particular remark on the BMWLT forum...

FWIW, in 2009 I added ASC to my then-new to me 2008 R1200RT. I paid the dealer about $450 to handle the entire event. This included the switch install and also the D/L from the BMW computer in Germany. This was what the dealer told me was the procedure in any case.

I considered it money well spent after the ASC saved my butt while crossing TX on I-20 in heavy rain. It worked perfectly.

-----------------

I just looked at the MAX BMW Parts Fiche for the 2005-2009 RT. It shows two different "Retrofit ASC" kits. Here's a screenshot of the page. Each expands with a full parts list.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 4.05.33 PM.png
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Yup...I use the parts fiche all the time.

I installed all the hardware.

The retrofit on diagram (77_0307)on the left is for bikes with a stereo, the one on the right (77_0311) for ones without; either way the software update p/n is the same ...13 61 7 728 272.

That same p/n is also used on the same era R1200GS/GS ADV, R1200R and K1200S among others...and this retrofit has been available since 2010 for a variety of bikes:

Got a call Tuesday from BMW Customer Relations; I sent them all the documentation on the bike and they are following up with the dealer to see if they can assist them.

Got a call from the dealer yesterday...apparently as a result of my email/phone chats with BMW NA Customer Relations they were contacted and the order entry problem rectified.

The retrofit code is apparently still available, service appointment set for next Friday...weíll see how it goes.

The parts manager at the dealer thanked me for pursuing this with Corporate...apparently a customer can get more attention than a dealer on occasion if itís approached correctly. This is no surprise as Iím an engineer for a multinational company and have to deal with my German colleagues on a regular basis.

BTW...in my experience with German engineers if they use the word Ďpossibleí it means yes; the phrase Ďnot possibleí means they donít want to do it LOL...

Hmmmm - thinking out loud here. It seems that the BMW ASC button is just a momentary switch, no?

I wonder if I could rig up something and save myself a little $$. Obviously I'd still need the dealer reprogram everything...
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Correct...just a momentary switch; I tested it before installation.

I found a used switch w/the attachment hardware for $75...by the time you buy a switch, make a custom wiring harness using a Ďrepair connectorí so it will mate up & mount the whole thing you might be close to that cost.

I saw another used one on eBay for $29 but cosmetically it looked pretty bad.

BTW drneo66 - if youíre thinking about doing this on the 2007 RT you have listed in your profile check your serial number to make sure itís after ZR60266.

- official build date of 8/2006. I'm still in the "ZM" numbers...

(side note, if it goes ZM, ZN... that's a lot of bikes produced!)
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    - official build date of 8/2006. I'm still in the "ZM" numbers...

(side note, if it goes ZM, ZN... that's a lot of bikes produced!)
    Yup...lotta bikes, but those numbers are distributed amongst all BMW bikes. Look at the rear wheel flange recall on R and K bikes...that was about 43,000 in the USA and 367,000 worldwide!