Thread: Swap Fuel Level Sensor From A 1300S To A 1200S

Left Coast Rider

Swap Fuel Level Sensor From A 1300S To A 1200S

The 1300S seems to have an updated, swinging arm-type, fuel level sensor for the fuel tank. Do any of the assembled multitude of experts know if this sensor will work in a 1200S tank which currently has the vaunted fuel strip variety of sensor? As I type this I'm thinking mounting it in the tank may be an issue. Worth asking the question, though! Thanks in advance for your considered responses.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 04-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.

I haven't looked at fiche. Currently have a buds 12S here with dead fuel pump and the tank is airing out way downwind a few days from the rotgut fuel stench.

The strip hangs into tank from the filler neck, assuming the float will be on the fuel pump plate. I guess I will peruse the fiche when I order some parts, and ask a familiar tech if he knows.

Is your strip wonky or you planning ahead?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Is your strip wonky or you planning ahead?
    Planning ahead...for a change.

For a couple of years the fuel gauge has typically shows one LCD block short of full after I've gassed up. One time in ten it shows full. Ŕelatively accurate after that. I guess I should count my blessings but if there's a permanent solution, I'd be willing give it a try.

Question: if the full strip hangs from the filler cap is it possible to mount it too high resulting in the "not full" reading?

Thanks for investigative efforts!

The fuel strip uses an entirely different method for sensing the fuel level and as such the electronics would be incompatible.

The fuel strip has two circuits, it measures resistance in one circuit of the fuel strip, the second circuit is a resistor heating element that creates a comparison reading to determine the level. The float is a traditional resistor type system.

There was a thread on ADV rider about repairing the strip by pulsing the circuits with a piezo shock using a BBQ lighter. The high voltage charge apparently will bridge the fault point in the resistor circuit and cause it to reconnect. I had my strip quit several years ago on my K1200GT and tried this method. It worked and has not failed again to date.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    The fuel strip uses an entirely different method for sensing the fuel level and as such the electronics would be incompatible.

The fuel strip has two circuits, it measures resistance in one circuit of the fuel strip, the second circuit is a resistor heating element that creates a comparison reading to determine the level. The float is a traditional resistor type system.

There was a thread on ADV rider about repairing the strip by pulsing the circuits with a piezo shock using a BBQ lighter. The high voltage charge apparently will bridge the fault point in the resistor circuit and cause it to reconnect. I had my strip quit several years ago on my K1200GT and tried this method. It worked and has not failed again to date.
    Thanks for this, Ed. Considering my fuel strip's current behaviour (not completely wonky), I'll save this solution for if and when it gets, as Henzilla puts it, wonky .

Also, I'm a chickensh*t when it comes to sparks around fuel tanks.

I've saved the link. Again, thanks!