Thread: Replacing with Spiegler brake line - 2003 K1200GT Top Line Crimps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Replacing with Spiegler brake line - 2003 K1200GT Top Line Crimps

The top brake Line on my 2003 K1200GT had a 80mm riser added and causing a problem. Prior owner and I didn't notice until recently how a left turn puts it under pressure.

Solution is to order a +2 inch top brake line and replace it. Not urgent other than I want to fix a wrong. A complete kit of the Spiegler Brake and Clutch lines was picked up but now I have questions.

I am thinking of a short cut to drain the handlebar brake reservoir, unscrew the line/replace the line. Then fill the handlebar reservoir with fluid. Gravity will let the bubbles rise eventually and be good. No bleeding to push the bubbles downward through the ABS and front calipers. Pictures show the end part of the line is on the frame about 10 inches away. I will have air in that line up to the top.

Full brake and clutch fluids changed 500 miles ago last Fall by my favorited dealer. The current fluid is fresh.

The following videos on 2003 K12RS was pretty good until part 2 that pulls the battery, deals with F1, F2, F3, R1, R2, etc adding ground down speed bleeders. Uh, not too excited about this process. I like learning, but I prefer to be riding than go giving me ABS issues for several weeks.

Part 1 Front/rear wheels
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpI05pWUp-Y

Part 2 ABS circuits
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etex4BpLSKM

If my short cut method is not practical or a good idea, I guess plan B is to ask my dealer to install them and rebelled everything, Not sure cost, maybe $350 range.

I don't know. dilemma. Your thoughts welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 K1200GT

Other pictures of the 80mm riser added but not the extended line. Picture 2 showing the new brake line will relax the pressure.
    2003 K1200GT

My only thought is fluids are cheap and I'm not a fan of shortcuts when it comes to my braking system. As always YMMV though and we all have different ideas about stuff like that.

Good on you for going with the Spiegler line - I swear by them for everything - brakes & clutch especially. I won't use anything else!
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '05 R1200GS | '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers

Thanks Chiba, I am hunting down parts now. A funnel from BoneYard. Speed bleeders, and finding a wrench I can bend and grind into position.

I was just hoping to replace the one line and let bubbles float to the top on it, saving me the ABS bleeding lesson. The fifth time through the video, gave me more confidence.
    2003 K1200GT

2003 K1200GT - rear brake not pumping

Made progress with the replacing of my brake lines. I got to the bleeding of the rear brake and the rear pedal has no pumping action. Like a squirt gun empty. Not sure what I did wrong. Any tips?

I replaced all the rubber lines front and back. For front, I bleed both calipers using the ignition on and the servo as the pumping action. Bubbles out and I have a nice solid handbrake. I went through two or so of the special funnel on the front container in the back. On to the rear brake.

Switched the funnel to the rear container above the master cylinder. Filled it up, Brake up, ignition on, pedal slowly down with bleeder open. Nothing. Close bleeder, slow release rear brake. Repeat, open bleeder, slowly down, close, release. etc No pumping action.

I switched to letting the servo pump the fluid through. With the hand front brake lever, it is sync'd to the rear brake, and I can get fluid to bubble out the air in the new lines. Eventually no bubbles. I went through at least two funnels worth of fluid.

I think the fluid is going down into the Master cylinder to make it's course out to the rear caliper. Just no brake pedal stopping point.

I didn't get to bleeding the ABS unit, but stuck at this point. In thinking mode. I don't see any leaks or escaping air up close. I guess my next step is to take off the new abs to Master cylinder line and examine the MC up closer.

Advise welcome.
    2003 K1200GT

K1200GT 2003 - rear brake dead

Multiple tries of the same routine to bleed the rear brake. No success.

Long funnel in place on rear reservoir. Filled half way up. Bleeder wrench and drain tube in place. Brake pedal fully up. Ignition on, waited for diagnostics to complete. Touch back brake, servo whirling, no fluid until I open up the bleeder. SLLLLOOOWLY lowering the pedal. No resistance found until bottom. Close bleeder. SLLOOWLY raising the brake pedal. No bubbles seen throughout. I went through two funnel full fluids. Ignition off.

No pressure on pedal seen. Limp, sucking sound upon return when done manually. No fluids see on lower MC. Nothing on bleeder, new steel line and banjos. Nothing seen on other connectors. The L shaped rubber connecter to the MC is a bit wobbly.

I put the bike on center stand, 1st gear, motor running. When I apply the front brake handle, the rear wheel slows a bit but not much. Rear brake, has no resistance. Front brake lines were also changed and working ok. Nice a firm ignition or no ignition on. I did not get to the part of bleeding the ABS yet. In theory, I need the rear brake pedal to do the R1, R2, R3 bleeds with the battery removed.

Game plan. Wait for parts. I have some new crush washers for the Banjo connectors inbound. I will change the MC to ABS line to adjust a twist in there. Not related, I think. A used Master Cylinder inbound from Ebay for $40. Maybe that will fix the possible lower L shaped connector. A new MC is $200, so see if the used one works. Another part to disassemble anyway.

These things aren't too complicated inside the MC. My skilled hands murdered my motorcycle.

That is the update.
    2003 K1200GT