Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Owner, Problem with centerstand

Run the last seven of your VIN in one of the online BMW vin decoders (example: https://www.mdecoder.com/). The code for a factory lowered G650GS is "X499A." This will appear at the bottom under "other equipment." Center stands (main stands) on these bikes were optional. Some machines came through with main stands. If it did, you'll see the code "X636A" at the bottom.

If you don't see the codes mentioned above, one of the previous owners lowered the bike with fastory parts or by other means such as sliding the fork tubes up a little in the triple tree and using Kouba links.

For the time being, if you want to avoid popping a hernia while doing maintenance on the bike at home, roll the 650's rear tire onto a piece of 1x6 wood (or something similar). This will greatly lower the effort required to put it up on the stand. Good luck.
    Ed
    MOA# 19152
    Florida's Space Coast
    2016 G650GS, Aprilia Scarabeo 50 2T

Quote Originally Posted by imintman View Post
    Run the last seven of your VIN in one of the online BMW vin decoders (example: https://www.mdecoder.com/). The code for a factory lowered G650GS is "X499A." This will appear at the bottom under "other equipment." Center stands (main stands) on these bikes were optional. Some machines came through with main stands. If it did, you'll see the code "X636A" at the bottom.

If you don't see the codes mentioned above, one of the previous owners lowered the bike with fastory parts or by other means such as sliding the fork tubes up a little in the triple tree and using Kouba links.

For the time being, if you want to avoid popping a hernia while doing maintenance on the bike at home, roll the 650's rear tire onto a piece of 1x6 wood (or something similar). This will greatly lower the effort required to put it up on the stand. Good luck.
    Thanks Ed.
    I'll see what I can get off the VIN #
    I have already had two hernia operations in the last 10 years, I would not like to go through another one.
    The operations are not a big deal compared to getting into and out of bed and chairs, about the worst pain I have ever had was a few days after one of the operations and I sneezed. It felt like I was slugged by a baseball bat.

ED
    I looked up the codes at mdecoder.com
    It shows X499A
    That is great to know, It's better to have it come from the factory this way than someone messing with it later.
    It does not show X636A, the factory supplied centerstand, so someone added it later, most likely not a dealer who would have known to order the lowered stand.
    I guess someone wanted a centerstand and just ordered one off the internet not knowing there were two sizes and picked the tall model. Maybe they got a hernia and decided to get rid of it.

As with the K75RT I had a number of years ago, you always get the nicest people here at the bmwmoa forums. Thanks to everyone who has given me information on this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by rudyjo22 View Post
    I have already had two hernia operations in the last 10 years, I would not like to go through another one.
    The operations are not a big deal compared to getting into and out of bed and chairs, about the worst pain I have ever had was a few days after one of the operations and I sneezed. It felt like I was slugged by a baseball bat.
    I joined that club on the way to the MOA Iowa Rally, brought to a need by picking my bro in laws bike up about the second time
    It was prob ready to come on, but extra fun made it happen and change my Summer plans. Still like my bro in law...hernias not so much.

I tried twice the last two days to put our 650 on the centerstand, once without riding boots...both attempts harder than any other bike we have, including my R12GSA.
    Some bikes just seem to have a bad pivot point. H looked at me this morning when I was lubing the chain prior to her rolling out and asked if I was OK after turning red lifting the bike with my sport sandles. I am so conscious of that hernia event I try to be careful.

At least you know it was a factory lowered model and most likely the regular stand and have a place to go.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Wunderlich makes a lifting handle for those of you who have deep pockets. The innovative can come up with a cheaper solution I'm sure.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Got the new BMW lower suspension centerstand installed, it now takes about 1/4 the effort to get it up.
    It took about 2 minuets to get the two springs off, about an hour to get them back on.

With the old centerstand, the rear tire was 3 inches off the floor, with the new one, there is now a half inch.

I am pretty sure that the old one was not a BMW standard height centerstand, but an aftermarket model bought off the internet. A magnet sticks to the BMW model, but whatever the old one is made of, a magnet doesn't stick to it.
    Neither of them has a manufactuer or part number on it.

Ended up costing just under $230, much cheaper than another hernia operation.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyjo22 View Post
    Got the new BMW lower suspension centerstand installed, it now takes about 1/4 the effort to get it up.
    It took about 2 minuets to get the two springs off, about an hour to get them back on.

With the old centerstand, the rear tire was 3 inches off the floor, with the new one, there is now a half inch.

I am pretty sure that the old one was not a BMW standard height centerstand, but an aftermarket model bought off the internet. A magnet sticks to the BMW model, but whatever the old one is made of, a magnet doesn't stick to it.
    Neither of them has a manufactuer or part number on it.

Ended up costing just under $230, much cheaper than another hernia operation.
    Nice
    Always nice to hear the end result.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200