• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great article on how and why we crash

You can not possibly look too far ahead. It is very easy to look too close in front.

Friedle

Thanks for posting this. Some interesting conclusions, and I agree that you can never look too far ahead. I'm interested in reading the report, too.

Ride safe!

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tre...ed-about-how-and-why-we-crash-our-motorcycles

I like the observation about looking further ahead. Of course I trained myself to do that in an effort to spot the cops earlier! :ha

Ian

IAN! :nono:nono:nono:nono:nono

All kidding aside, it's a report worth reading. Contains a lot of interesting material and by finally getting out of Southern California (where, though a lot of motorcycles, there is also a crushing volume of traffic, and that skews the results of studies), we get a much more detailed analysis and something more relevant than the outdated Hurt Report.

Make time to read it. :deal

So the average rider crashed once every 10,000 miles, or so the first comment reports. If so I am 89 accidents short, thank goodness.

Paul,

You and Voni may be many things, but average riders is not one of them. :bow

:dance:dance:dance

Interesting worth reading article
One thing for me that stuck out was the amount of accidents involving hitting the car/bike in front of you.
I think we need to look further ahead and leave more distance for a sudden stop event.

One thing for me that stuck out was the amount of accidents involving hitting the car/bike in front of you.
I think we need to look further ahead and leave more distance for a sudden stop event.

I agree and subscribe to the "more distance for a sudden stop event", but cars love to switch lanes and fill that gap. Frustrating.

And also refine and PRACTICE our braking technique......frequemtly !!! Stopping is the main thing that separates riders from crashers. There is really no talent in going fast, that is motorcycle. Just twist that throttle as far as it goes. That doesn't impress me. Stopping quickly (vertically), without running into the back of the bulldozer, now that is a skill that impresses me.

Friedle

And also refine and PRACTICE our braking technique......frequemtly !!! Stopping is the main thing that separates riders from crashers. There is really no talent in going fast, that is motorcycle. Just twist that throttle as far as it goes. That doesn't impress me. Stopping quickly (vertically), without running into the back of the bulldozer, now that is a skill that impresses me.

Friedle

So true. Heck - the Russians teach circus bears to ride motorcycles fast. Speed doesn't impress me as talented. Even pro cycle races here at Road America are won or lost in the curves.

Slow maneuvering and excellent braking skills - that's motorcycling on a higher level than most. :thumb

Interesting that there was no mention of alcohol. I know that at least in New England a significant percentage of single bike crashes involved alcohol. And on my recent trip to Pennsylvania (to get the sidecar frames properly setup) there were cruisers outside nearly every bar. Early one evening several doo-rag clad bikers staggered out of one bar, mounted their bikes and had a very hard time staying in their lane as they rode off. And these were not young kids!

Interesting that there was no mention of alcohol. I know that at least in New England a significant percentage of single bike crashes involved alcohol. And on my recent trip to Pennsylvania (to get the sidecar frames properly setup) there were cruisers outside nearly every bar. Early one evening several doo-rag clad bikers staggered out of one bar, mounted their bikes and had a very hard time staying in their lane as they rode off. And these were not young kids!

A 'sub-culture' within motorcycling that doesn't generate enough mileage to be part of this study.

Saw an interesting tee shirt once at a motorcycling event here at Road America that made me smile.

"Sixteen Grand and Sixteen Bars don't make you a Biker!" :dance

Back