Thread: Great article on how and why we crash

Great article on how and why we crash

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ur-motorcycles

I like the observation about looking further ahead. Of course I trained myself to do that in an effort to spot the cops earlier!

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    You can not possibly look too far ahead. It is very easy to look too close in front.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Thanks for posting this. Some interesting conclusions, and I agree that you can never look too far ahead. I'm interested in reading the report, too.

Ride safe!

Really excellent analysis in the article.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ur-motorcycles

I like the observation about looking further ahead. Of course I trained myself to do that in an effort to spot the cops earlier!

Ian
    IAN!

All kidding aside, it's a report worth reading. Contains a lot of interesting material and by finally getting out of Southern California (where, though a lot of motorcycles, there is also a crushing volume of traffic, and that skews the results of studies), we get a much more detailed analysis and something more relevant than the outdated Hurt Report.

Make time to read it.

So the average rider crashed once every 10,000 miles, or so the first comment reports. If so I am 89 accidents short, thank goodness.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

3 Red Bricks
    Paul,

You and Voni may be many things, but average riders is not one of them.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Nick Kennedy
    Interesting worth reading article
    One thing for me that stuck out was the amount of accidents involving hitting the car/bike in front of you.
    I think we need to look further ahead and leave more distance for a sudden stop event.

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    One thing for me that stuck out was the amount of accidents involving hitting the car/bike in front of you.
    I think we need to look further ahead and leave more distance for a sudden stop event.
    I agree and subscribe to the "more distance for a sudden stop event", but cars love to switch lanes and fill that gap. Frustrating.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    And also refine and PRACTICE our braking technique......frequemtly !!! Stopping is the main thing that separates riders from crashers. There is really no talent in going fast, that is motorcycle. Just twist that throttle as far as it goes. That doesn't impress me. Stopping quickly (vertically), without running into the back of the bulldozer, now that is a skill that impresses me.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    And also refine and PRACTICE our braking technique......frequemtly !!! Stopping is the main thing that separates riders from crashers. There is really no talent in going fast, that is motorcycle. Just twist that throttle as far as it goes. That doesn't impress me. Stopping quickly (vertically), without running into the back of the bulldozer, now that is a skill that impresses me.

Friedle
    So true. Heck - the Russians teach circus bears to ride motorcycles fast. Speed doesn't impress me as talented. Even pro cycle races here at Road America are won or lost in the curves.

Slow maneuvering and excellent braking skills - that's motorcycling on a higher level than most.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Interesting that there was no mention of alcohol. I know that at least in New England a significant percentage of single bike crashes involved alcohol. And on my recent trip to Pennsylvania (to get the sidecar frames properly setup) there were cruisers outside nearly every bar. Early one evening several doo-rag clad bikers staggered out of one bar, mounted their bikes and had a very hard time staying in their lane as they rode off. And these were not young kids!
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Interesting that there was no mention of alcohol. I know that at least in New England a significant percentage of single bike crashes involved alcohol. And on my recent trip to Pennsylvania (to get the sidecar frames properly setup) there were cruisers outside nearly every bar. Early one evening several doo-rag clad bikers staggered out of one bar, mounted their bikes and had a very hard time staying in their lane as they rode off. And these were not young kids!
    A 'sub-culture' within motorcycling that doesn't generate enough mileage to be part of this study.

Saw an interesting tee shirt once at a motorcycling event here at Road America that made me smile.

"Sixteen Grand and Sixteen Bars don't make you a Biker!"