• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 R1200RT - Pre-Purchase Questions

I don't think the shorty windscreen on the 2018 Mars Red RT was a success for BMW. I changed mine out one week after purchasing the bike.

And I noticed that the 2019 Mars Red R1250RT has the standard windscreen.

I don't think the shorty windscreen on the 2018 Mars Red RT was a success for BMW. I changed mine out one week after purchasing the bike.

And I noticed that the 2019 Mars Red R1250RT has the standard windscreen.

I suspected that the stock (short) windscreen on the 2018 would be less than useful, thus the request to have it swapped. Your experience confirms the correct move.

The shorty sure gives the bike a more sporty look, but the usefulness as a touring bike would be minimzed. You might be correct that BMW has seen a lack of interest in it and opted to use the standard screen in the stock configuration instead.

I suspected that the stock (short) windscreen on the 2018 would be less than useful, thus the request to have it swapped. Your experience confirms the correct move.

The shorty sure gives the bike a more sporty look, but the usefulness as a touring bike would be minimzed. You might be correct that BMW has seen a lack of interest in it and opted to use the standard screen in the stock configuration instead.

This is definitely a matter of opinion. I found the standard screen on my 2016 to be too big in the summer, and I've never actually found a situation where I would want a bigger one in either width or height. (reference: I'm 5'11" and ride with my seat in the high position).

When the sport screen came out, I bought one from a guy on the bmwlt forum who got a standard screen on ebay and put it on his mars red model. Now I use both... Standard screen in the winter and on long highway rides, and sport screen during the warmer months in Southern California. I like that the sport screen can still quiet things down, but lets more air over and around it to run through my mesh gear. Some have suggested just putting the standard screen down in the summer, but that makes things quite loud and IMO funnels the air directly at my head. I rode 165 miles yesterday (using the sport screen) in all sorts of terrain from highway to canyons and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the looks and function of the sport screen. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but that's fine with me.

This is definitely a matter of opinion. I found the standard screen on my 2016 to be too big in the summer, and I've never actually found a situation where I would want a bigger one in either width or height. (reference: I'm 5'11" and ride with my seat in the high position).

When the sport screen came out, I bought one from a guy on the bmwlt forum who got a standard screen on ebay and put it on his mars red model. Now I use both... Standard screen in the winter and on long highway rides, and sport screen during the warmer months in Southern California. I like that the sport screen can still quiet things down, but lets more air over and around it to run through my mesh gear. Some have suggested just putting the standard screen down in the summer, but that makes things quite loud and IMO funnels the air directly at my head. I rode 165 miles yesterday (using the sport screen) in all sorts of terrain from highway to canyons and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the looks and function of the sport screen. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but that's fine with me.

Completely get that and obviously perfectly alright. Whether you are in the minority would be hard to determine. :)

I'm 5'10", but have the standard seat in the low position. Since we've had the RTs for just a few days, I am still discovering attributes of the standard screen. I may do the same you did, as summers in north Texas can be quite brutal and I noticed that there is quite a bit of shielding from the wind with the fairing around the bike as well.

Curious, playing around with the position of the screen and judging from pictures I have seen on the BMW website where they compare the models, it looks to me like the sport screen in the lowest position is about the same as the standard screen. How much lower is it when fully extended compared to the standard screen? What's your observation?

Curious, playing around with the position of the screen and judging from pictures I have seen on the BMW website where they compare the models, it looks to me like the sport screen in the lowest position is about the same as the standard screen. How much lower is it when fully extended compared to the standard screen? What's your observation?

At the height where I usually use it, I think that the difference is 3 inches or so. It is definitely more out of my field of view than the standard screen.

I typically raise it just enough to quiet down the ride. If I raise it the standard screen all the way up it is slightly quieter than where I usually run it, but I am then looking through it instead of over it, and I do not like to ride that way. I prefer the lowest level that will help quiet things down.

Got a great deal on the NAV 6, which we added to one of the two bikes. Since we're riding together when the NAV is really needed, one seemed to be sufficient. Had some issues with it responding slughishly to touches with the bare finger. Perhaps it's better with gloves on. Will have to see what that is all about. But so far, it looks very useful.

One thing that I was less impressed with is the audio quality pairing it with my Sena 20s EVO. Still working through that one.

Take a look through your documentation for anything relating to touch-screen recalibration. Sometimes that can fix issues with screen sensitivity and touch accuracy. My NAV 5 is definitely not as sensitive to the touch an an iPhone. Sometimes we get spoiled with the super hi-tech devices. It is waterproof so it will respond differently I would guess.

Take a look through your documentation for anything relating to touch-screen recalibration. Sometimes that can fix issues with screen sensitivity and touch accuracy. My NAV 5 is definitely not as sensitive to the touch an an iPhone. Sometimes we get spoiled with the super hi-tech devices. It is waterproof so it will respond differently I would guess.

Yes, indeed. Smartphones have definitely upped the bar in terms of touch sensitivity. I remember the first navigation unit I ever used had a "touchscreen", which consisted of those conductive overlays that required a certain amount of force to press. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it required several touches before the software would pick it up. The NAV VI issue reminded me somewhat of that experience and sort of gives the impression that Garmin is years behind with their touchscreen technology. The TomTom 550 Rider I am about to sell is solid in that regard, so this was surprising.

I'll look into some settings or calibration function.

Last edited:
I'm kind of late to the party

I read your post with interest as I am also considering the purchase of a left-over 2018 RT to replace my 2016 GSA. I have some input on a possible mounting option for your Tom Tom GPS. There is a wizard that designs 3D printed widgets. Most are targeted towards the BMW GS, but he also an adapter for the Tom Tom "Active Mounting Shoe" to the Navigator mounts that could be applicable to the RT. I'm not sure so here is a link for you to check out and decide:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GF2RG252T/tomtom-adapter-with-distance-tubes-for-bmw-cradle?optionId=64666005

I have bought several of his parts and each one has been simply brilliant and amazingly useful. Buying via Shapeways is pretty straightforward. I know you bought the Nav 6 but maybe you could use the Tom Tom on your wife's bike if you have not already sold it.

Enjoy your new bikes! You're lucky to have a wife who rides.

Courtney in Seattle

I read your post with interest as I am also considering the purchase of a left-over 2018 RT to replace my 2016 GSA. I have some input on a possible mounting option for your Tom Tom GPS. There is a wizard that designs 3D printed widgets. Most are targeted towards the BMW GS, but he also an adapter for the Tom Tom "Active Mounting Shoe" to the Navigator mounts that could be applicable to the RT. I'm not sure so here is a link for you to check out and decide:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GF2RG252T/tomtom-adapter-with-distance-tubes-for-bmw-cradle?optionId=64666005

I have bought several of his parts and each one has been simply brilliant and amazingly useful. Buying via Shapeways is pretty straightforward. I know you bought the Nav 6 but maybe you could use the Tom Tom on your wife's bike if you have not already sold it.

Enjoy your new bikes! You're lucky to have a wife who rides.

Courtney in Seattle

Very interesting! Thanks for the link! Will have to seriously considering holding on to the TomTom now... :)

Back