• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions for a Trip

motor10

I have always ridden for fun, for work or for commuting to work. The longest ride I have ever done was on my Ninja when I was in my 20s and I rode from Columbia MD to Rockland NY. I look back on that trip and I am amazed that I was comfortable enough to stay in a sport bike riding position for that length of time, which was 4 hours with one stop for fuel. in June of 2018 I purchased my first BMW motorcycle. I had been using my 2018 R1200RT primarily for around town and commuting to DC until a bad wreck last summer. Now I use it for running errands and rides with a few friends as I build confidence back that was destroyed by the accident. A few buddies and I are planning a trip, for a long weekend, to my beach house in the Outer Banks of NC in May . I am planning to take Rt.17 down to Chesapeake VA. This will take about 5 hours of continuous ridding but we plan to make rest and fuel stops along the way so I would figure 6 plus hours to get the NC house.

What are some suggestions and or advice that you guys who travel with their bikes can make? For those who know the area, are there suggestions of places we should stop or are there any places we should not to stop? What gear should I take with me? Any information or suggestions would be great.

Regards.

I have always ridden for fun, for work or for commuting to work. The longest ride I have ever done was on my Ninja when I was in my 20s and I rode from Columbia MD to Rockland NY. I look back on that trip and I am amazed that I was comfortable enough to stay in a sport bike riding position for that length of time, which was 4 hours with one stop for fuel. in June of 2018 I purchased my first BMW motorcycle. I had been using my 2018 R1200RT primarily for around town and commuting to DC until a bad wreck last summer. Now I use it for running errands and rides with a few friends as I build confidence back that was destroyed by the accident. A few buddies and I are planning a trip, for a long weekend, to my beach house in the Outer Banks of NC in May . I am planning to take Rt.17 down to Chesapeake VA. This will take about 5 hours of continuous ridding but we plan to make rest and fuel stops along the way so I would figure 6 plus hours to get the NC house.

What are some suggestions and or advice that you guys who travel with their bikes can make? For those who know the area, are there suggestions of places we should stop or are there any places we should not to stop? What gear should I take with me? Any information or suggestions would be great.

Regards.

Hydrate well before you go and have a means of frequently sipping water as you go. I use a water bottle. Voni has a water bladder in her tank bag. Some folks use backpack style.

Have a map. I prefer regional maps for "bigger picture" reference.

Have a "plan" for what to do if separated. These can vary - but have a plan. After becoming separated in the Salt Lake City metro area and only by luck hooking back up (pre cell phone days) we concocted a plan. Contact the County Sherrif's office in the county where we were lasst together. This eliminates trying to figure out which suburb (city) we might have been in. With cell phones this becomes a much simpler problem to solve - but have a plan.

We lived in Wilmington, NC for a few years and one of our favorite trips was "ferry hopping" along the Outer Banks from Cedar Island to the Virginia border. It's a special trip that you would find very enjoyable.

My recommendations? After I've sorted out all my equipment the biggest challenge that I face is mental: my tendency is to hammer the miles and miss all the good stuff. Don't be hesitant to stop at scenic areas and country stores to get off the bike for a bit and enjoy the culture. You'll be amazed at how few miles you can cover in a day, the enjoyment of "lollygagging" around, and the enrichment of the experience when you spend more time off the bike. We love to explore all the side streets of the little towns along the way to discover their character. Ask the locals where they eat when they want to go out. Go for a walk and poke your head into little shops. Try every craft beer place you can find.

Oh, and don't miss the wild horses on the island across from Beaufort, NC! Or the shrimp shack on Ocracoke Island! And the lighthouses!

s-l1000.jpg

Hydrate. Excellent advice and it will be taken to heart. Doing the ferry would be pretty cool. We plan to leave early on the morning to give us the day to poke around some of the towns we cross on our way down.

The trip originally started with 5 of us going down by bike. We are now down to two since several guys bailed and one guy had a mild heart attack two nights ago. He wants to go if the Dr clears him to do so and he feels up to it.

Please keep the advice coming.

Jay

Confidence

Taking a riding course can help a lot with confidence recovery, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course is one, you get skills training on a small light bike, and good classroom sessions. Lots of other courses out there, that I am sure will help lessen that uneasiness you feel. Group rides have their own pressures as you try to stay together through stoplights or feel pressured to ride at a pace you are not comfortable with.
Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Agreed, Confidence is an issue. It’s amazing how one accident can strip you of your confidence. I have taken the AMA beginner, intermediate and advanced courses in the early 1990s. I also went through motor school at work and rode and motorcycle at work for six years. All that experience and confidence are pretty much gone. I am planning on taking a MSF beginner course in May with my 16 year old son. I’m a big believer in continuing to get training.

Sounds Perfect

Agreed, Confidence is an issue. It’s amazing how one accident can strip you of your confidence. I have taken the AMA beginner, intermediate and advanced courses in the early 1990s. I also went through motor school at work and rode and motorcycle at work for six years. All that experience and confidence are pretty much gone. I am planning on taking a MSF beginner course in May with my 16 year old son. I’m a big believer in continuing to get training.

Beginning riding course great father son activity, setting a good examples for your son on future rides another great activity.
Taking your planed trip with one maybe two others also good, smaller group makes for much easier group dynamics.
Consider the MOA rally in June lots of stuff to see, unbelievable comradely, a great riding course for your son ( if not full ) a nice friendly place that sells carbonated alcoholic beverages while you are waiting for your son to finish his riding course and loads and loads of seminars. Last it’s hard to go anywhere with meeting, running into or tripping over some who is friendly and talkative.

Cereally!

Since you are already near Richmond, do me and everyone else on this Forum a big favor. Pretty please, would you go to the new Stone Brewing Co facility in Richmond?
https://www.stonebrewing.com/visit/outposts/richmond

We rode west on our bikes in Fall of 2017 for a wedding in CA. We went from Palo Alto down to San Diego stopping to visit w/old acquaintances. It was hard to find {because it's intended to be Stealthy}, but the Stone Brewery in Escondido is A World Renowned Beer Drinker's Destination! [IMHO] So if not this trip, just go and let me/us know how their new facility looks & feels, and tastes! I'd love to but Life's Just Crazy right now. It's not exactly on the way from Spotsylvania to Duck, but it ain't too much to ask such a small favor. I think the MOA Forum would appreciate your help in this matter.
Just a Thought!
Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
:beer :eat :drink Ms LDR in Southern Cal - note the taps :thumb
Stone-CA.jpeg

Since you are already near Richmond, do me and everyone else on this Forum a big favor. Pretty please, would you go to the new Stone Brewing Co facility in Richmond?
https://www.stonebrewing.com/visit/outposts/richmond

We rode west on our bikes in Fall of 2017 for a wedding in CA. We went from Palo Alto down to San Diego stopping to visit w/old acquaintances. It was hard to find {because it's intended to be Stealthy}, but the Stone Brewery in Escondido is A World Renowned Beer Drinker's Destination! [IMHO] So if not this trip, just go and let me/us know how their new facility looks & feels, and tastes! I'd love to but Life's Just Crazy right now. It's not exactly on the way from Spotsylvania to Duck, but it ain't too much to ask such a small favor. I think the MOA Forum would appreciate your help in this matter.
Just a Thought!
Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
:beer :eat :drink Ms LDR in Southern Cal - note the taps :thumb
View attachment 73643

Richmond isn’t that far from me. I will gladly give it a try on one of these weekends and give a report. With that said, one of my favorite breweries is in Grandy NC. It’s the Weeping Radish and the beers there are great. My favorite is their Octoberfest which is fantastic. If you are passing through Grandy NC on you way to the Outer Banks stop in have some food and a few beers.

Jay

If you are passing through Grandy, NC on you way to the Outer Banks stop in have some food and a few beers.

Not Fargin Likely anytime soon - - Jus Sayin!

So here's a view of some STONE (the Men's Room). Note the attention to detail! That's what their Calif facility presented to the public, if U can find their facility... Their Beer Didn't Suck Much Neither! I bought their bumper sticker for my M/C: I'm an Arrogant Bastard; as well as a nice SS shirt. As they describe on their bottle label:
"This is an Aggressive Beer.... You're Not Worthy."
Stone-sink.jpeg

Another possibility, IF you & your mates are out touring after the MOA National in Lebanon TN, is the Straight to Ale Brewery in Rocket City! - - https://straighttoale.com/ - - It's a repurposed High School: Good Brews & Good Food! They even have a unique "Speak Easy" behind a nonchalant set of kid's lockers! They Distill their own Hooch as well! FYI put it in as a waypoint: [ N34° 43.255' W86° 36.381' ].

Slainte!
HSV-Phil
Ciao, P&K in HSV
P: K1600GT
P: R90S
P: KLX250
K: F650GS twin
K: CRF230L
P/K: Red Saturn Sky

Well, the MC trip to NC is officially canceled. In late April one of my buddies backed out, leaving 3 of us. Then a few days later another buddy had a mild hart attack leaving two of us. Then yesterday, the Grandfather of the other guy going with me passed away, leaving only me. So the trip is canceled and we will try for another weekend in the future. I'm bummed we are not going.

Jay

Been there

Sorry to hear the trip is canceled. I also live in this area and am familiar with the DC commute. The drivers here are some of the worst I have seen. I had a bad wreck last November and it took a little while to feel comfortable again. My advice though is to ride as often as possible, every day, if you can even if it is a short trip around the neighborhood to help feel at ease.

Prior to the accident, I did a solo 7000+ mile trip around the U.S. So, based on that, if you do the trip in the future, a few words of advice. Set up a GPS with the preferences to avoid highways. Smaller roads will tend to not only have less traffic, but are usually much more scenic. You can project waypoints for met up locations if you get separated. If possible, try traveling on week days. The traffic will be lighter and the ride more enjoyable.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

Back