• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain replacement - Tools/Parts

guenner

I am about to replace the chain of my F700GS. I would like to hear what kind of chain breaker / riveting tool you are using.

I've seen there are a bunch of chains and sprockets to chose from. Any hints/recommendations?

Thanks!
Guenther

I have used DID X-ring chains for the last 10-12 years with good results. I always go with a riveted master link which requires the use of a chain breaker and riveting tool. Motion Pro makes a good one. SprocketCenter.com has reasonable prices on chain and sprocket sets for your bike and sells chain tools. If you are new at installing a chain, then look for some videos on it that are made by reputable companies. Motion Pro has some and I suspect other retailers do as well.

https://sprocketcenter.com/street-s...-your-choice-of-x-ring-chain-bmw-f700-gs.html

https://sprocketcenter.com/tools-maintenance/motion-pro-pbr-chain-breaker-riveting-tool-kit.html

I'll second SprocketCenter.com - I was happy when I had a bike with a chain with their quality/shipping/etc.

MC Garage has a nice couple of videos on using the PBR tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHsexh8_kKs

It seems like a lot of chain tools do break, but I think a lot of it comes from people improperly using them. Taking an extra 5 minutes to check and recheck can save a lot of time, money, and :banghead

Last chain I changed on my F700 GS I used a Ek-Enuma O-ring connecting chain link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmg1TFsFNO4
With this link, you don't need to invest in any special equipment, but you do need to have access to a hand held electric grinding tool. On the old chain, simply grind off the head of one of the rivits until smooth, then use a small punch to push the old rivet out. Remove your old chain and change both sprockets. Install new chain and follow the instructions from the youtube video referenced above to insert the connecting link. The process is to simply assemble the o rings on to the link in the manner described while installing on chain, and then use the nuts to screw down until tight. That buttons the rivit, then simply back off the nut and use a pliers to snap off the stud. You can file or grind down the stud a bit if you desire, but I never did and the chain lasted a good 28,000 miles if I remember. Of course, I used a quality chain and sprockets and not a cheap one, but you get what you pay for. I also carried an extra link in my tool kit in case I snapped a link off road, but never had any problems, but was good peace of mind. Good luck.

On the sprocketcenter website they have a long list of chains for the F700/800. The only difference I see is the price and the cubic of the motor. :hungover

Do I just have to assume that more expensive means longer life? Worth it?

Do you replace the bolts on the rear sprocket as well?

/Guenther

On the sprocketcenter website they have a long list of chains for the F700/800. The only difference I see is the price and the cubic of the motor. :hungover

/Guenther

Does more money mean more miles? Don’t know for sure. I suspect it does to extent, but I generally go for middle of the pack.

Do not recall the service DVD calling for replacing the nuts/bolts. I have never done so.

/Guenther

Other than saving a bit of weight, they appear to both be steel (Aluminum sprockets exist, and are much lighter, but don't last very long).

I'm doubtful that higher-rated (1000+ cc's), heavy-duty chain will last much longer. It will certainly be physically heavier... so more rotating mass...

I did replace my bolts on rear sprocket the last time I did a chain, but only because the last ones were chewed up by the PO.

I have used DID X-ring chains for the last 10-12 years with good results. I always go with a riveted master link which requires the use of a chain breaker and riveting tool. Motion Pro makes a good one. SprocketCenter.com has reasonable prices on chain and sprocket sets for your bike and sells chain tools. If you are new at installing a chain, then look for some videos on it that are made by reputable companies. Motion Pro has some and I suspect other retailers do as well.

https://sprocketcenter.com/street-s...-your-choice-of-x-ring-chain-bmw-f700-gs.html

https://sprocketcenter.com/tools-maintenance/motion-pro-pbr-chain-breaker-riveting-tool-kit.html

Exactly what I use on my F700GS :thumb. I buy my chains from BMW Bentonville.

Does more money mean more miles? Don’t know for sure. I suspect it does to extent, but I generally go for middle of the pack.

Do not recall the service DVD calling for replacing the nuts/bolts. I have never done so.

I'm of the opinion that frequent chain oiling and cleaning add more to the life of a chain than the cost of the chain; however, you generally do get what your pay for. I replaced the chain twice on my 62000 miles on my F 700 after the initial OEM chain and got great mileage out of the EK Chain . Think it was a 525 chain variety if memory serves.....As far as the sprocket bolts, I never changed them when changing out the sprockets. Steel brushed the blue lock tite off, reapplied and reused. Never a problem.

I have 18k miles on the OEM chain but I am going on a 3k+ tour. I decided to change the chain even though the chain looks good for a couple of more miles - just for the piece of mind.

I ordered a kit (sprockets+chain+tool) from sprocketcenter.com. I also ordered a brush for to clean the chain.

Thanks for all your inputs! :thumb
Guenther

Back