• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2003 K1200GT - has some gitty up

jrmull

Yesterday I discovered how important it is to have some gitty up. I got boxed in with traffic merging. Heavy traffic in center lane, me in the right lane, right lane merging on. I slowed some and fell in behind a merging car with some space, then another merging car nearly clipped me with her front fender.

Going 65-70 range, probably 6th gear though. I squirted ahead cranking on the throttle. Nice to have the ability to get out of the way. Glad 6th gear didn't bog down on me. Thank you BMW.

Yesterday I discovered how important it is to have some gitty up. I got boxed in with traffic merging. Heavy traffic in center lane, me in the right lane, right lane merging on. I slowed some and fell in behind a merging car with some space, then another merging car nearly clipped me with her front fender.

Going 65-70 range, probably 6th gear though. I squirted ahead cranking on the throttle. Nice to have the ability to get out of the way. Glad 6th gear didn't bog down on me. Thank you BMW.

I have a 2003 K1200RS and it amazes me how quickly that sucker scoots. Passing cars on 2 lane highways is scary because when you roll on the throttle hard it seems like you jump from 60 to 90 in about 100 feet. Almost have to start moving back into the right lane as soon as you roll on the throttle.

I had a shifter lever fall off on me, and had to take off from a stop in fourth gear, up hill into a 90 degree turn. The bike didn't really blink.

Wonder what sort of performance difference there is between the RS and the GT...

Wonder what sort of performance difference there is between the RS and the GT...

Engine, trans, and final drive specs are the same. The GT weighs 33 more pounds, so the RS should blow its doors off.:stick

If you've never seen a GT with doors, now you know why.:lol

:dance:dance:dance

I've had similar thoughts.
With as fast and torquey as the K12RS is, by today's standards, it's not a real powerful bike. It's 130 HP pales compared to 160 and 200 of newer Bimmers.
I realize that even airhead riders will argue that no more power than they have is really needed, but just how fast are those other guys going?

Back