Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: which motorcycle lift ?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If I was going to buy a unit that would allow me to push a motorcycle around the garage, I would go with a 3 point device. If you google 3 point motorcycle dolly, you will get many examples.
    The leverage point is rather critical considering how top heavy the bike is in relationship to that low leverage point. Throw in the chance of a pebble or leftover nut on the floor chocking or stopping the wheel rather abruptly, a person will be hanging on to some unexpected weight- half on wheels.
    Just my opinion.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I've used the Harbor Freight dolly for years, first on my wife's VLX and now on my RT and it's worked wonderfully. Makes it reasonably easy to move the bike around the garage and get it out of the way. Oh, and it's very stable ... no worries about it tipping over. You do need to be a little careful loading it up on there but it's really not that difficult. It allows me to get both of our cars in the garage along with the RT and a Honda Magna I've got tucked into another corner.

IMG_1149.jpg
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

Dynamoto Movable Motorcycle Stands

Quote Originally Posted by mosrrt View Post
    I am looking for a motorcycle lift to move the R1200RT - GS around the garage easier . I see one at Harbor Freight but don't know how they work .
    Input please
    Thanks
    Not sure if this what you had in mind, but the wheels move in all directions. Pretty cool idea. Check out the video.

https://www.dynamotousa.com/

(You may have to give them a call about the RT)
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Lechien

Park'n Move

I've used this stand on several GSAs and have not had an issue with it, it does raise the bike up on the center stand 3/4" taller but is not that much more difficult getting it up. I do have an issue getting the bike off the stand once I have the side bags fully loaded (when you push forward to take off the center stand the stand moves and you have to block it or lock the wheels.) Ease of moving the bike it great and has really freed up a lot of room in the garage.

For the lift I have been using a Kendon lift that stands up out of the way when you are not using it, great space saver also and because it is smaller (skinner, still rated for 1,000#) than most stands you are not reaching into the bike. I enjoy the bike but have trouble dedicating that much space to the working area and a space to still park the bike once riding season comes along.
    Peace,

Jerry.

...never too much lefse

Park n Move

A single car garage for me and I am space challenged in the winter with a car in it, especially since I try to commute to work year round and need access to my bike when the ice is off the road in CT. Picked up the Park n Move 10 years ago when I had a K75RT and it worked great (the Park n Move and the K75). Kept the Park n Move when I changed to a R12GS and it works even better since the GS is very easy (compared to the K75) to simply press on the pillion seat gently and have both tires off the floor. It makes it so easy to tuck it against the back wall and still have room to squeeze the car in the garage. You do need to chock the wheels on the Park n Move, as mentioned earlier, to easily get the bike off it. I don't bother with the wheel locks. Just keep a couple of used brake pads from your next brake job. They make excellent wheel chocks for the Park n Move.
    Robert Horton
    riding - 15 R1200GSW
    gone - 95 K75RT

Lechien

Park'n Move

I had a similar model but it was too light weight for the 1200 GSA. Yup, center stand can be a challenge loaded or not but I move that big bike around the garage with ease even if it is packed for a trip. The brakes on the wheel locks suck, so the brake pad idea is a good one. But in the winter when you want move the bike out of the way or drag it out from some work or charge the battery (I don't leave the bike on a tender, just me). For a real working lift (not for moving the bike but just to lift it for working on) I got the Kendon Stand-up lift that I really like, it stores in the corner when you don't need it but is small for getting into the bike, but again holds the GSA to make oil changes and service a lot easier than laying on the ground or bending over. Note: neither of these things are cheap, but have worked well for me.
    Peace,

Jerry.

Handy Lift
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmwdean; 07-03-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Forget those big lifts.... get a Bursig....
    Bruce A. Brown #212072
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Mehrten
    The Handy Lift is a professional piece of equipment, it is what many shops use.

I bought a Handy Lift some 15 years ago and I use it at least two or three times a month.

Other than getting the air hose pinched once due to my inattention, it has been flawless.

For me the 12 inch side extensions have be invaluable. They give me more room to stand on the lift and hoist my bike onto its center stand when needed.

You get what you pay for...

Quote Originally Posted by mehrten View Post
    The Handy Lift is a professional piece of equipment, it is what many shops use.

I bought a Handy Lift some 15 years ago and I use it at least two or three times a month.

Other than getting the air hose pinched once due to my inattention, it has been flawless.

For me the 12 inch side extensions have be invaluable. They give me more room to stand on the lift and hoist my bike onto its center stand when needed.

You get what you pay for...
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Another option for a trolley is the Hornig one
    The front wheel adapter is sold separately.
    Top quality
    Hornig trolley.jpgHornig trolley 2.jpg
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396