• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

which motorcycle lift ?

mosrrt

I am looking for a motorcycle lift to move the R1200RT - GS around the garage easier . I see one at Harbor Freight but don't know how they work .
Input please
Thanks

I bought a Sears lift and have never opened the box.

Anyone want it??

If someone does, please use the PM system to work a deal...otherwise you may be answering "do you still have it?" questions for years:wave

That style lift works on some models for wheel removal and minor tasks, others the exhaust and other undercarriage items cause stability issues. Have both for different uses.

I am looking for a motorcycle lift to move the R1200RT - GS around the garage easier . I see one at Harbor Freight but don't know how they work .
Input please
Thanks

You want to move parked bike around or a bike lift for work?

Park-N-Move is a move about dolly that you set centerstand on, the HF lift table will work for RT and GS work off the floor, however, not a roll about set-up with a bike on it.

If someone does, please use the PM system to work a deal...otherwise you may be answering "do you still have it?" questions for years:wave

That style lift works on some models for wheel removal and minor tasks, others the exhaust and other undercarriage items cause stability issues. Have both for different uses.

You want to move parked bike around or a bike lift for work?

Park-N-Move is a move about dolly that you set centerstand on, the HF lift table will work for RT and GS work off the floor, however, not a roll about set-up with a bike on it.

Just looking for an easier way to move it around in the garage . I see the park and move as a bear to put it on the center stand to use it
Am I right about that ?
The HF model , just jack it up and move .....maybe !

Just looking for an easier way to move it around in the garage . I see the park and move as a bear to put it on the center stand to use it
Am I right about that ?

I have been using a Park-n-Move for 8 years and it is not too difficult to use. If the bike is difficult to begin with, then it will be difficult on the PnM.

Input please
Thanks

They work like crap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Input please
Thanks

A lift is different than Dolly’s with small wheels that allow you to spin the bike into any position. What type are you actually looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Handy lift and a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift that is more like a jack with wheels. The HF was given to me by a person who did not trust it. The only time I have used it is on my Handy lift to raise the rear end of an ATV or riding lawn mower. I would be nervous using it on a big bike and would not trust moving it with a bike on it.

Am I right about that ?

The Park and Move is a good option to maneuver the bike around the garage. If you are concerned about getting the bike on the center stand, get yourself a small piece of 3/4 inch OSB or plywood. Roll the rear tire onto the wood, put the Park and Move under the center stand and place the bike on the center stand, just as if it was on the floor. The 3/4 inch lift, from the board, makes a huge difference. I have a significant injury to my right leg and placing the bike on the Park and Move with the above method is easy. It is also easy to move the bike on the Park and Ride.

there was a vendor outdoors at Des Moines who had a roll around dolly. Can't recall the darn name at the moment. Was a long channel with wheels and they were demoing the ease of use.

Someone remember the name:dunno

Also have Park n Move and not a bear on the models I have used it on.

I'm contemplating an ABBA Sky Lift. I believe it will also work with both bikes, I think you just have to order a separate fitting kit. I've used cheap lifts/stands and most of the time you get what you pay for. I also believe this stand has been discussed on this forum so you might be able to read responses from actual owners.

I see one at Harbor Freight but don't know how they work

I've had two of them, and they both work great. In fact, I bought the second one because I missed the first one after giving it to a neighbor kid when my wife and I moved to a new home. They are a little narrow, so you need to be careful with your feet as you go on and off. They have wheels and tie-down points, so you can secure the bike and then move it around (carefully). The front wheels are casters, and they have an integral jack point that will lift the casters off the floor to provide more stability when you don't want the table to move. I wouldn't use it to move a bike around with the table in the raised position.

The front moto wheel clamp is kind of primitive. I have a Baxley chock that I prefer. I mounted the chock to the front of the lift in place of the wheel clamp, and I can ride into the chock and then step off the bike while I tie it down, or deploy the center stand.

They are inexpensive and strong and they beat rolling around on the floor.

Cap

Anyone really use an ATV lift on a RT? I have a ATV lift and I never considered it. I guess I thought it was not possible with the way the RT is constructed on the underside.

If I was going to buy a unit that would allow me to push a motorcycle around the garage, I would go with a 3 point device. If you google 3 point motorcycle dolly, you will get many examples.
The leverage point is rather critical considering how top heavy the bike is in relationship to that low leverage point. Throw in the chance of a pebble or leftover nut on the floor chocking or stopping the wheel rather abruptly, a person will be hanging on to some unexpected weight- half on wheels.
Just my opinion.
OM

I've used the Harbor Freight dolly for years, first on my wife's VLX and now on my RT and it's worked wonderfully. Makes it reasonably easy to move the bike around the garage and get it out of the way. Oh, and it's very stable ... no worries about it tipping over. You do need to be a little careful loading it up on there but it's really not that difficult. It allows me to get both of our cars in the garage along with the RT and a Honda Magna I've got tucked into another corner.

IMG_1149.jpg

Dynamoto Movable Motorcycle Stands

Input please
Thanks

Not sure if this what you had in mind, but the wheels move in all directions. Pretty cool idea. Check out the video.

https://www.dynamotousa.com/

(You may have to give them a call about the RT)

Park'n Move

I've used this stand on several GSAs and have not had an issue with it, it does raise the bike up on the center stand 3/4" taller but is not that much more difficult getting it up. I do have an issue getting the bike off the stand once I have the side bags fully loaded (when you push forward to take off the center stand the stand moves and you have to block it or lock the wheels.) Ease of moving the bike it great and has really freed up a lot of room in the garage.

For the lift I have been using a Kendon lift that stands up out of the way when you are not using it, great space saver also and because it is smaller (skinner, still rated for 1,000#) than most stands you are not reaching into the bike. I enjoy the bike but have trouble dedicating that much space to the working area and a space to still park the bike once riding season comes along.

Park n Move

A single car garage for me and I am space challenged in the winter with a car in it, especially since I try to commute to work year round and need access to my bike when the ice is off the road in CT. Picked up the Park n Move 10 years ago when I had a K75RT and it worked great (the Park n Move and the K75). Kept the Park n Move when I changed to a R12GS and it works even better since the GS is very easy (compared to the K75) to simply press on the pillion seat gently and have both tires off the floor. It makes it so easy to tuck it against the back wall and still have room to squeeze the car in the garage. You do need to chock the wheels on the Park n Move, as mentioned earlier, to easily get the bike off it. I don't bother with the wheel locks. Just keep a couple of used brake pads from your next brake job. They make excellent wheel chocks for the Park n Move.

Back