Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Better Than Any Deer Whistle!!

The one thing I taught my sons when they learned to both drive a car and ride a motorcycle is “there is no such thing as just one deer”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I lived in the Texas Hill Country (Utopia, TX) I used to tell visiting riders that the first thing you needed to do to prep your bike for Hill Country riding was to disconnect the headlight in order to remove all temptation to ride anytime between dusk and dawn.... of course the javelinas, feral hogs, and Russian boar stay on duty 24/7

One can rail all they please against wild critters entering the roadway but you're pissing against the tide. You are the intruder, they are the constant. Hyper awareness and appropriate speed for the conditions are your tools for being smarter than that fence post. The fact that "lightening strikes" is unavoidable. I had an elderly relative struck and killed by a doe running at full speed as she slowly walked down a forest path.

Saw two in my yard last night,bout supper time. Headed out [for] super, two more on the road behind my house .. mom & fawn. Traffic stopped for them, myself as well. We watched them, they watched us Then they jumped over the guard rail .... with ease ........ And i went to supper.

I understand hunting & do not speak against it but ........... I do not want to kill them.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I understand hunting & do not speak against it but ........... I do not want to kill them.
    Nor I but hunting pressure by humans helps control populations. In spite of this, large populations exist most places so it's up to the rider to try to avoid them. Any discussion regarding "other" apex predators is a can of worms but.... Humans generally don't appreciate large predators (Wolves for instance) and eliminated them from much of the range which has contributed to the Cervidae population. Coyotes are now widespread in North America and do take deer, primarily fawns in good weather and adult deer when snow slows everyone down. Bottom line as far as eliminating problems with naturally occurring wild things is be careful of what you wish for. I have no experience with feral hogs but from what I read, Wild Boar should be on everyone's menu?

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Saw two in my yard last night,bout supper time. Headed out [for] super, two more on the road behind my house .. mom & fawn. Traffic stopped for them, myself as well. We watched them, they watched us Then they jumped over the guard rail .... with ease ........ And i went to supper.

Deer and every other forest creature live hard and competitive lives. As their populations increase, the competition with each other and other animals becomes more severe. So they are not only a problem for humans, but each other. In northern states, if the coyotes don't get them, winter kill does. Winter kill is a bit of a euphemism for starving to death in the cold. It sounds like self justification, but a quick death from a hunter's bullet isn't the hardest way to die.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Deer and every other forest creature live hard and competitive lives. As their populations increase, the competition with each other and other animals becomes more severe. So they are not only a problem for humans, but each other. In northern states, if the coyotes don't get them, winter kill does. Winter kill is a bit of a euphemism for starving to death in the cold. It sounds like self justification, but a quick death from a hunter's bullet isn't the hardest way to die.
    I am not a hunter but encourage anybody who is to get however many they are allowed to get. I encourage hunters to eat all the venison they can.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have a daughter that lives in coastal Virginia so I follow some of the news there. Oh deer!

"People flocked last year to pose for pictures in a field of sunflowers he planted on the property of Windsor Castle Park. So Stallings, a local farmer with family ties to the park, planted again this spring.

But when the seeds started to sprout, white-tailed deer decided the green shoots were too tasty to pass up. They wolfed down the entire field.

All 23 acres of sunflowers are gone."

When you've lost one motorcycle and had an expensive car repair due to deer, you quickly change your tune on how you feel about those "cute creatures of the forest"

I'm with Paul - I don't personally hunt, but I support anyone who helps manage the population.

"Deer populations (including both white-tailed and mule deer) have undergone the greatest absolute increase [among larger game], adding more than 14 million individuals within 31 reporting states over the 25-year period."
    This at the same time that we've seen a decrease in individuals participating in hunting.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by crucian View Post
    I have a daughter that lives in coastal Virginia so I follow some of the news there. Oh deer!

"People flocked last year to pose for pictures in a field of sunflowers he planted on the property of Windsor Castle Park. So Stallings, a local farmer with family ties to the park, planted again this spring.

But when the seeds started to sprout, white-tailed deer decided the green shoots were too tasty to pass up. They wolfed down the entire field.

All 23 acres of sunflowers are gone."
    Deer have an uncanny instinct to eat whatever plant you value most highly. Their close relatives the domestic goat will do the same.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am not a hunter but encourage anybody who is to get however many they are allowed to get. I encourage hunters to eat all the venison they can.
    The situation regarding the exploding deer population in the Texas Hill Country may be unique, but I suspect it is analogous to other regions of the country as well.... fewer people are hunting deer and more people are feeding deer. Most wildlife biologists are in agreement that there are more deer in North America today than there were when the first Europeans showed up in the 15th/16th Centuries.

Nature is not a romance; species compete. There is no such thing as balance; only constantly changing advantages.

The ultimate act of foolishness is swerving to miss a 140lb deer in order to hit an 8000lb oak tree.

Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO View Post
    The ultimate act of foolishness is swerving to miss a 140lb deer in order to hit an 8000lb oak tree.
    I rehearse this in my head regularly, the brake and don't swerve part, in my car or on my motorcycle. I know it's habit to want to swerve to avoid a collision so I don't know if I'll be able to when the time comes but I think I will just from the number of times I've told myself how to respond in this scenario.
    Last edited by ncpbmw1953; 08-10-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I rehearse this in my head regularly, the brake and don't swerve part, in my car or on my motorcycle. I know it's habit to want to swerve to avoid a collision so I don't know if I'll be able to when the time comes but I think I will just from the number of times I've told myself how to respond in this scenario.
    The ones I’ve hit with my car came out of nowhere- I couldn’t have swerved (or chose not to) if I wanted to. BTW I’m at about close to 10k total for my four (or so) deer encounters. They are a real and increasing hazard here in upstate NY.

Re: hunters- first day of deer hunting season was a school holiday in a nearby district. Don’t know if it is anymore but it reminded me of one of those “you know you’re a redneck if...” jokes

Thought the deer population was managed?

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    The ones I’ve hit with my car came out of nowhere- I couldn’t have swerved (or chose not to) if I wanted to. BTW I’m at about close to 10k total for my four (or so) deer encounters. They are a real and increasing hazard here in upstate NY.
    On a x-country and back trip we took in 2016 my brother hit a good sized buck in Wyoming on his 2015 FJR1300ES. We were doing about 58mph at the time with no time to brake or swerve. Totaled the bike but he walked away from it unscathed. I think something like 84% of bike v deer ends up with serious injury or worse so he was ultra fortunate.