Thread: Better Than Any Deer Whistle!!

RK Ryder

Better Than Any Deer Whistle!!

Took the K out for its' first ride of the season this afternoon. On one section of a two lane highway that was elevated between farm fields, had eight deer cross the road about a tenth of a kilometre in front of me. Of course I greatly reduced my speed. Looking from where they came, I spotted possibly another eight, slightly ahead of me looking in my direction, ready to join their buddies. Applied the brakes even harder, which caused the remaining deer to take off in the opposite direction from the road.

This has happened a minimum of four times with my old K100. Once the brakes are firmly activated, deer take off away from the road. Every set brakes I've had on this bike squeal when applied and every time there are deer present, they take off. Bet deer whistles don't have that average.

Anyone else had this happen with their "Bricks"?

Now if I could just get the R1100's brakes to start squealing!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Contact me and become a Volunteer in Lebanon! rallyvolunteers@bmwmoa.org

If you canít hear it, neither can the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I have many miles on K75s. They are often called K Whiners. The gear train does have a distinct whine. Deer don't like that whine. It startles them. The good: usually they run away from that sound. The bad: sometimes they jump in front of you.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have many miles on K75s. They are often called K Whiners. The gear train does have a distinct whine. Deer don't like that whine. It startles them. The good: usually they run away from that sound. The bad: sometimes they jump in front of you.
    So far I have had many lucky experiences. But having said that, I always slow to a walking speed, totally prepared for a complete stop just in case the squeal of the brakes or the engine's whine proves not to be a deterrent at that particular moment.
    Paul

Smile

Understand that normal human hearing ranges between 20 - 20,000 Hz (hertz). Deer are 20 - 30,000, though most of their attentiveness is in the same 'normal range' (250 - 7,000) we humans experience in normal conversation and daily tasks.

Dogs zoom up to 45,000 (Ultra-sonic), and detect frequencies we ignore. Hence, the effectiveness of hyper-sonic signaling devices for man's best friend.

Ergo, 'deer whistles' are a myth, regardless of whether or not you think it had anything to do with those forest rats running the other way. Like Paul said, they are sometimes startled by the whine of certain model bikes. Good for you. Sometimes, horns.

I have had success with the very loud horns that both my R1200RT and Gold Wing came equipped with. If I blew them, deer near the roadway have always taken notice and ran back to the tree line for concealment. Works well.

Ironically, deer do not perceive all colors strongly. They do not notice red or blaze orange very well - the colors of hunters. Too bad for them.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Donít forget about the Deer that have poor eyesight and those who are hard of hearing or deaf.
    And ALWAYS look for more.

Charlie

I like the "forest rats". Good term.

Remember that dawn and dusk are the most likely time deer venture out. So going to work at 6am, good chance. Going home at dinner time, likely again.
    2003 K1200GT

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    And ALWAYS look for more.
    Charlie
    And that's exactly what I did and discovered eight more getting ready to cross. You are right, always be prepared for more deer to come after spotting the first few.
    Paul