• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200 GSA Tires - AGAIN!

TheRock58

TheRock58
My 2007 R1200 GSA is going to be needing tires in the near future. I'm currently running my first set of Michelin Anakee 3s with about 7k miles on them. The front has cupped just like its predecessor and the rear has the dreaded flat wear pattern from straight road riding. They're probably good for another 3k miles worth of local riding. Prior to running the Michelins I was running several sets of Metzler Tourance tires (6-7k miles). I should get about 9-10k miles on these tires, but the way they wear and make noise is getting old.

I see that Continental has their ContiTrail Attack 3 (90/10) and Michelin has their Anakee Adventure (80/20). I ride mostly on hard surface roads and some occasional gravel. The twisties are far and few between here in Iowa, but enjoyed none the less.

Does anyone have enough miles on these tires to speak to the way they wear and the longevity of these tires, or maybe provide better options? It sure would be nice to get 10-12 k miles out of a set of tires..........

Thanks in advance,

I usually (as in always) put road tires on my GS and I don't have a GSA, so I can't really speak to your tire question specifically...

...but...

it seems odd that you're having the same problem across different brands/models of tires. The flattening thing you probably can't avoid, but the cupping ... it might be that your suspension needs a little attention in some way. Since your bike is 12 years old now, it could be that the front shock has worn out (or is wearing out). A rebuild or upgrade might get you some additional tire life.

Anyway, not an answer to the question you asked but something that popped into my head when I read your post.

That's a very interesting thought...........

In fact, I was recently reading another thread related to the suspension issue that you raise. I'm the second owner of the bike for the last 47k miles. The front tire has always cupped at around 5k miles or so. Other GSA riders I have talked with shared similar experiences with front tire cupping. I've also read something about the telelever suspension being a contributing factor with tire cupping?

The front shock on my GSA does not show any signs of leaking; however, it's an original shock and likely worn out, like most bikes with several years/miles on them. I guess I could price some new after market shocks as I don't believe the original shock can be rebuilt.

Out of curiosity, what street tires are you running on your GS?

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
I got about 5k out of the Tourance, about 6k with TKC 70 and about 4k from the Avon Trail. Not read anywhere anyone getting 12k out of a back tire.

Last edited:
Well I run the shinko raven 009. on my RT I get great milage out of them. Good handling. They to do pretty good in the wet. I'm not a knee dragger by any means, they do well in the mountain twisties for me. YEAH YEAH I know stinko shinko's But I've ran them for years with great success. Great commuter tire.

JD

I have the same exact bike/year. It has very low miles because I spread miles over several bikes. I typically run TKC70s, but also run the old Tourances from time to time. Lots of twisty roads near me, even with the 70's on it I ride the bike more like a sport bike than a dirt bike. The 70s have surprising tarmac grip and the wide bars, unlimited cornering clearance and grunty engine give the GSA sportbike embarrassing capabilities. In my experience the front tire cupping is directly related to how aggressively you use the front brakes and how well your suspension is set up. The first 5K or so on the bike I used stock suspension, the last 10K I have had Ohlins. World of difference in performance, and it did help with cupping, but it did not eliminate it.

I have a '05 GS that used to have the cupping issue really bad. I was running Tourances back then. I could get the miles out of the tires, 10-12K, but the front always started cupping at around 7k. Used to carry a file on long trips so I could take the crown off the cups and make the ride smoother.
Anyway, after coming back from a 3 month trip to Alaska I was going to mount new Tourances when my mechanic noticed that my front rim was out of kilter by less than 1/8 inch (left to right), I think that's called runout, but I could be wrong.
I sent the wheels off to Woody's and they were able to re-true the rim. I have not had the cupping issues since that repair. You might also check your front wheel bearings.
As for your mileage I would ask what tire pressure you run? I run Anakees at 32 front and 36 rear without a load and 34-36 front, 40-42 rear when loaded. I have no front tire cupping issues and get a minimum of 10K out of a set and often over 11K. I know many people swear by higher tire pressures but I have found that running the lower pressures doesn't have a negative impact on mileage or handling, at least the way I ride. Obviously your results may vary.

Thanks for the information Paul.

As far as tire pressures go, I've been running 38-40 front and 40-42 rear, unloaded/loaded. I had a dealer recommend 40 front and 43 rear, but that seems excessive to me. I note that cold tire pressure maximums are 42 PSI for the Michelin Anakee 3s.

I'll back those pressures off a bit, check the wheel bearings, and check the wheel to make sure it's running straight. I've also had some discussion with Ted Porter about a new set of TFX shocks for the '07 GSA too.

Back