Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Seattle Tire Change

  1. #1

    Seattle Tire Change

    Howdy.

    I'm driving my bike up from San Diego this week on first leg of my Alaska leg. Going to stash by 1200 GSA at my sisters house in Kirkland.

    Anyways- I am planning on putting some new tires on when I get to Seattle next weekend, April 19. I want to do it on my own but never done it. Was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to show me the ropes. I realize there is almost no chance- but hey- figured I would ask. I'm trying to learn it so I can put in a tube if I am stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a side puncture that can't be plugged.

    If not- all good. I can get them done at the dealer with my service. It's fun to meet people. I don't mind throwing you some bucks/beer/dinner whatever.

    On a side note- while BMW dealerships are always expensive- I have to say Seattle is on a whole other level. I live San Diego which I thought was a pricey market. My local charges $105 for mount balance with wheels on bike. They are charging $150 at BMW Seattle. BMW Lynwood charges $200! Lynwood also charges $782 for a service that my local BMW Escondido does for $310! Wowsa.

  2. #2
    Why not get the bike in tip-top shape with new tires before you leave home? What you don't get out of the last of your tires is more than made up for by the lower costs at home.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    394
    Paul, what a novel idea!

    It just kills me when guys post about needing to change tires on a trip because the tire "suddenly " wore out. I have been riding for 50 years and never had a tire suddenly wear out. I may slap on new rubber a little soon, but fresh tires before I leave on a trip is just one less thing to deal with.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiffkook View Post
    Howdy.

    I'm driving my bike up from San Diego this week on first leg of my Alaska leg. Going to stash by 1200 GSA at my sisters house in Kirkland.

    Anyways- I am planning on putting some new tires on when I get to Seattle next weekend, April 19. I want to do it on my own but never done it. Was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to show me the ropes. I realize there is almost no chance- but hey- figured I would ask. I'm trying to learn it so I can put in a tube if I am stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a side puncture that can't be plugged.

    If not- all good. I can get them done at the dealer with my service. It's fun to meet people. I don't mind throwing you some bucks/beer/dinner whatever.

    On a side note- while BMW dealerships are always expensive- I have to say Seattle is on a whole other level. I live San Diego which I thought was a pricey market. My local charges $105 for mount balance with wheels on bike. They are charging $150 at BMW Seattle. BMW Lynwood charges $200! Lynwood also charges $782 for a service that my local BMW Escondido does for $310! Wowsa.
    Don't go to the BMW dealership...way to expensive.If no one could help you mount them, try Cycle Gear ( there is one in Auburn, WA). They charge $40 /tire ($20 if you buy the tires from them) but you do have to take the wheels to them. Have you tried anyone in the Anonymous Book to see if there's anyone in the Seattle area willing to help?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Paul, what a novel idea!

    It just kills me when guys post about needing to change tires on a trip because the tire "suddenly " wore out. I have been riding for 50 years and never had a tire suddenly wear out. I may slap on new rubber a little soon, but fresh tires before I leave on a trip is just one less thing to deal with.
    Interesting response.

    I have a 7,000 mile trip ahead of me. The tires I run last 5,000 miles.

    Maybe there is a trick from 50 years you can share on how to get 7,000 miles out of a tire that only lasts 5,000?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiffkook View Post
    Interesting response.

    I have a 7,000 mile trip ahead of me. The tires I run last 5,000 miles.

    Maybe there is a trick from 50 years you can share on how to get 7,000 miles out of a tire that only lasts 5,000?
    Perchance a different tire choice might help for this type of trip. What bike/tire combination are you running? Have you considered a different tire? Do you get the same life both front and rear?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Perchance a different tire choice might help for this type of trip. What bike/tire combination are you running? Have you considered a different tire? Do you get the same life both front and rear?
    I'm confident on tire choice- given the mix of dirt and street that I will encounter and the timing at which it will be encountered. I'm not going to run a harder tire due to road conditions.

    No tire does it all, which is why the change in Seattle combined with mileage constraints is warranted.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    394
    Your original post mentioned running from San Diego to Seattle, then to Alaska and needing a tire. More information helps us help you.

    I would run a harder tire. On a trip such as this I would give up on my choice of tires to not have to mess with as many changes.

    You will need to replace the tire twice on the trip, once up, and once back, assuming Anchorage for a turn around. Run a harder tire, ship one to where ever your turn around is in Alaska and swap it out there, or make sure a shop up there is expecting you for tire change and see they have a tire on hand for you.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Your original post mentioned running from San Diego to Seattle, then to Alaska and needing a tire. More information helps us help you.

    I would run a harder tire. On a trip such as this I would give up on my choice of tires to not have to mess with as many changes.

    You will need to replace the tire twice on the trip, once up, and once back, assuming Anchorage for a turn around. Run a harder tire, ship one to where ever your turn around is in Alaska and swap it out there, or make sure a shop up there is expecting you for tire change and see they have a tire on hand for you.
    My original post states word for word:

    "I'm driving my bike up from San Diego this week on first leg of my Alaska leg. Going to stash by 1200 GSA at my sisters house in Kirkland.

    Anyways- I am planning on putting some new tires on when I get to Seattle next weekend"


    My question was exclusively around the possibility of meeting up with another MOA member while there for a tire change and I would buy them some beer or take them out to dinner. What I get is the "what a novel idea" comment out of the blue to insinuate how foolish I must be to not just change before I leave San Diego.

    Doesn't seem conducive to helping out fellow members and certainly is not constructive. It's not in the spirit of MOA either- a community of like minded enthusiasts who may be able to share knowledge with each other.

    I am not trying to cause a scuffle here- I just think we should all treat each other with a bit of mutual respect even though we are cloaked in the anonymity of the internet. The world would be a better place.

    I will probably just head to the dealer. Thanks for the input.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    394
    I guess you didn't like Paul's response either.

    If you want to nit pick it, it looked to me that you were going to run half worn out tires to Seattle, then change tires and take your trip, hence both Paul's and my response of changing tires before you leave.

    As for help in Seattle, look in the Anonymous Book and make a few calls or e-mails.

Similar Threads

  1. Tire Change
    By mindsoma in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 03:13 AM
  2. An example of how not to change a tire
    By Boingo in forum Campfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
  3. First Tire Change?
    By stanley83 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 01:32 AM
  4. Tire change with TPS
    By dockeithdc in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:08 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •