• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seattle Tire Change

cardiffkook

Howdy.

I'm driving my bike up from San Diego this week on first leg of my Alaska leg. Going to stash by 1200 GSA at my sisters house in Kirkland.

Anyways- I am planning on putting some new tires on when I get to Seattle next weekend, April 19. I want to do it on my own but never done it. Was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to show me the ropes. I realize there is almost no chance- but hey- figured I would ask. I'm trying to learn it so I can put in a tube if I am stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a side puncture that can't be plugged.

If not- all good. I can get them done at the dealer with my service. It's fun to meet people. I don't mind throwing you some bucks/beer/dinner whatever.

On a side note- while BMW dealerships are always expensive- I have to say Seattle is on a whole other level. I live San Diego which I thought was a pricey market. My local charges $105 for mount balance with wheels on bike. They are charging $150 at BMW Seattle. BMW Lynwood charges $200! Lynwood also charges $782 for a service that my local BMW Escondido does for $310! Wowsa.

Why not get the bike in tip-top shape with new tires before you leave home? What you don't get out of the last of your tires is more than made up for by the lower costs at home.

Paul, what a novel idea!

It just kills me when guys post about needing to change tires on a trip because the tire "suddenly " wore out. I have been riding for 50 years and never had a tire suddenly wear out. I may slap on new rubber a little soon, but fresh tires before I leave on a trip is just one less thing to deal with.

Howdy.

I'm driving my bike up from San Diego this week on first leg of my Alaska leg. Going to stash by 1200 GSA at my sisters house in Kirkland.

Anyways- I am planning on putting some new tires on when I get to Seattle next weekend, April 19. I want to do it on my own but never done it. Was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to show me the ropes. I realize there is almost no chance- but hey- figured I would ask. I'm trying to learn it so I can put in a tube if I am stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a side puncture that can't be plugged.

If not- all good. I can get them done at the dealer with my service. It's fun to meet people. I don't mind throwing you some bucks/beer/dinner whatever.

On a side note- while BMW dealerships are always expensive- I have to say Seattle is on a whole other level. I live San Diego which I thought was a pricey market. My local charges $105 for mount balance with wheels on bike. They are charging $150 at BMW Seattle. BMW Lynwood charges $200! Lynwood also charges $782 for a service that my local BMW Escondido does for $310! Wowsa.

Don't go to the BMW dealership...way to expensive.If no one could help you mount them, try Cycle Gear ( there is one in Auburn, WA). They charge $40 /tire ($20 if you buy the tires from them) but you do have to take the wheels to them. Have you tried anyone in the Anonymous Book to see if there's anyone in the Seattle area willing to help?

Paul, what a novel idea!

It just kills me when guys post about needing to change tires on a trip because the tire "suddenly " wore out. I have been riding for 50 years and never had a tire suddenly wear out. I may slap on new rubber a little soon, but fresh tires before I leave on a trip is just one less thing to deal with.

Interesting response.

I have a 7,000 mile trip ahead of me. The tires I run last 5,000 miles.

Maybe there is a trick from 50 years you can share on how to get 7,000 miles out of a tire that only lasts 5,000?

Interesting response.

I have a 7,000 mile trip ahead of me. The tires I run last 5,000 miles.

Maybe there is a trick from 50 years you can share on how to get 7,000 miles out of a tire that only lasts 5,000?

Perchance a different tire choice might help for this type of trip. What bike/tire combination are you running? Have you considered a different tire? Do you get the same life both front and rear?

Perchance a different tire choice might help for this type of trip. What bike/tire combination are you running? Have you considered a different tire? Do you get the same life both front and rear?

I'm confident on tire choice- given the mix of dirt and street that I will encounter and the timing at which it will be encountered. I'm not going to run a harder tire due to road conditions.

No tire does it all, which is why the change in Seattle combined with mileage constraints is warranted.

Your original post mentioned running from San Diego to Seattle, then to Alaska and needing a tire. More information helps us help you.

I would run a harder tire. On a trip such as this I would give up on my choice of tires to not have to mess with as many changes.

You will need to replace the tire twice on the trip, once up, and once back, assuming Anchorage for a turn around. Run a harder tire, ship one to where ever your turn around is in Alaska and swap it out there, or make sure a shop up there is expecting you for tire change and see they have a tire on hand for you.

Your original post mentioned running from San Diego to Seattle, then to Alaska and needing a tire. More information helps us help you.

I would run a harder tire. On a trip such as this I would give up on my choice of tires to not have to mess with as many changes.

You will need to replace the tire twice on the trip, once up, and once back, assuming Anchorage for a turn around. Run a harder tire, ship one to where ever your turn around is in Alaska and swap it out there, or make sure a shop up there is expecting you for tire change and see they have a tire on hand for you.

My original post states word for word:

"I'm driving my bike up from San Diego this week on first leg of my Alaska leg. Going to stash by 1200 GSA at my sisters house in Kirkland.

Anyways- I am planning on putting some new tires on when I get to Seattle next weekend"

My question was exclusively around the possibility of meeting up with another MOA member while there for a tire change and I would buy them some beer or take them out to dinner. What I get is the "what a novel idea" comment out of the blue to insinuate how foolish I must be to not just change before I leave San Diego.

Doesn't seem conducive to helping out fellow members and certainly is not constructive. It's not in the spirit of MOA either- a community of like minded enthusiasts who may be able to share knowledge with each other.

I am not trying to cause a scuffle here- I just think we should all treat each other with a bit of mutual respect even though we are cloaked in the anonymity of the internet. The world would be a better place.

I will probably just head to the dealer. Thanks for the input.

I guess you didn't like Paul's response either.

If you want to nit pick it, it looked to me that you were going to run half worn out tires to Seattle, then change tires and take your trip, hence both Paul's and my response of changing tires before you leave.

As for help in Seattle, look in the Anonymous Book and make a few calls or e-mails.

Back