Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 09 1200GS won't start after run out of fuel

09 1200GS won't start after run out of fuel

My brother is broke down in North Ms, he said fuel light came on, ran about 3 miles and ran of gas. He said it tried to start one time and now nothing. I'm trying to search on the jumper wire for the fuel pump. If you can help please chime in. thanks.

I think you are asking about the Fuel Pump Controller Bypass.?

First, I don't think this is the problem because FPC failure does not activate the low fuel light.

Secondly, by 2009 I think the failure prone silver FPC was replaced with the more reliable black FPC.

And, I'm not clear on what "now nothing" includes. I think the engine should still crank with a failed FPC.

That said, because coincidences do happen, I've attached a file I carry on my phone, and in my toolkit. I also carry wire and PosiTaps, so I don't have to cut up the harness as shown in this emergency repair. Separate wires from battery to pump would be preferred, but this shows how to work with minimal resources.

The blue connector to the fuel pump is under the FPC, so he will need to remove the FPC to access it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Nothing means it will turn over but will not start after running out of fuel. Sorry about that. His son-in-law is on his way to haul him back. He will probably bring the bike here within a few days. I have a gs911 for my 2011 1200GS. Maybe we can get that hooked up and see whats happening. thanks

Typically takes a long crank session to re-fire. Running out should not have hurt anything other than pride.

I actually played the game yesterday on my 09. Odometer and fuel strip agreed I still had 100 miles to go...but did not. My MSR bottle got me the five miles to a station.
    Had to crank, wait and crank maybe two more times with throttle cracked
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

He said within 3 miles after the light came on engine stopped, I just wonder if it was another problem and still had a little fuel, he just thought he was out.

Old wives tale, to some degree. An occasional run out will not hurt the pump. Also the pump runs for just a couple seconds when you turn on the bike and does not run until the engine cranks and runs. Run out of fuel, engine stops, and so does the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by kskraye View Post
    He said within 3 miles after the light came on engine stopped, I just wonder if it was another problem and still had a little fuel, he just thought he was out.
    My fuel warning never came on, however have run up to 50 miles with it on...who knows

We got the bike hooked to gs 911, it talked the controller 1 time. It had fault cam bus time out, no communication with ZFE. We cleared that fault and now it says response from the controller. Anyone had this?

I get the non communicate with ZFE sometimes, often attributre to shutting off with key...reboot gs911 and back to work for me.

The canbus timeout can be several things...what accessories are tied in where? A loose/dirty battery connection does goofy things at times.

Have you checked for fuel flow at injectors and spark?

I used spark tester and it has spark, I took the fuel lines off the pump, used jumper, pump came on but does not pump fuel. Think I found one problem. Ordered one today.

Why I can't get it to communicate with the gs911, I don't know, it did it one time.

I used spark tester and it has spark, I took the fuel lines off the pump, used jumper, pump came on but does not pump fuel. Think I found one problem. Ordered one today.
    If it turns on and doesn't squirt fuel when in the fuel you must have a "leak" or "obstruction" in the fuel distribution inside or outside the tank. I think a fuel line connection popped loose. Or a quick disconnect is not seated and has fuel flow shut off.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If it turns on and doesn't squirt fuel when in the fuel you must have a "leak" or "obstruction" in the fuel distribution inside or outside the tank. I think a fuel line connection popped loose. Or a quick disconnect is not seated and has fuel flow shut off.
    If a fuel line come loose it has to be in the tank, I took the hoses off at the top of the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Old wives tale, to some degree. An occasional run out will not hurt the pump. Also the pump runs for just a couple seconds when you turn on the bike and does not run until the engine cranks and runs. Run out of fuel, engine stops, and so does the pump.
    I stuck a meter to the FPC and it did power the pump up for a couple seconds and when he hit the start button it sent power to it. But no fuel.

If a fuel line come loose it has to be in the tank, I took the hoses off at the top of the pump.
    The internal hoses are not rubber, they are a hard plastic corrugated like a bendable straw. Have seen two on 05 models break from sitting in three year old gas, but not one failing on a running bike. Not impossible, but still wondering if the pump is working in spite of hearing it. The failed ones have made zero sounds for me.

I would loosen injectors and check for fuel spray at cranking speed. Or, if you have an additional QC fitting and a hose, you can check off the pump plate as you turn on key and hear pump. It will only run for a short spurt and not continuous as you cycle key.

You said you had pump running, but the hoses were disconnected?