Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleepiness

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Drowsiness is one of the early signs of dehydration; it could be as simple as that. Several of the drinks you mentioned have diuretic properties; just because it's a liquid doesn't mean it will improve your state of hydration.

I avoid sugar and caffeine. Both help in the short term, but both are followed by a pronounced THUD!

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Rally Rat

Cool

Gail -

Paul's suggestion to have the narcolepsy diagnosis either confirmed or taken out of the equation is quite valid.

Presuming nothing that sinister is behind all this, a few comments.

Stay away from 'energy drinks' - they have been linked to deaths among soldiers, an age-group that casually abuse this heavily marketed beverage. They are over-loaded with caffeine and not only harm your arteries, but can cause serious arrhythmias as well.

Same goes for caffeine pills. 'Drugging' your body to stay alert on a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster.

Hydrate (not coffee), get a more moderate boost from the caffeine in a Hershey's Chocolate candy bar, and consider a 20 minute nap if still worried. A highway rest stop, a shady tree and keep your helmet on - the inner padding makes for a great 'pillow' and keeps your neck at a comfortable angle.

Also, stop more frequently. The BMW crowd is too caught up with "How many miles can I squeeze out between gas stops?," as if you get a star behind your name for the longest distance. Childish behavior.

Good luck and see you out on the road - alert and smiling.

Dehydration also can cause kidney stones: https://www.h4hinitiative.com/hydrat...es/dehydration

Trust me, you won't want kidney stones...and it is extremely easy to get dehydrated on a motorcycle road trip...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Couple of things:

1)You need to rule out a medical condition.

Assuming the doctor gives you a green light, then;

2) See a nutritionist. It could very well be as simple as changing your diet and eating habits.

3) Could also be part of the aging process for you. You're going to have to accept your limitations; I know I have and no longer ride at night

4) Unfortunately, it might be time to hang up your helmet until you get this under control.

Good luck.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Dehydration also can cause kidney stones: https://www.h4hinitiative.com/hydrat...es/dehydration

Trust me, you won't want kidney stones...and it is extremely easy to get dehydrated on a motorcycle road trip...
    At least kidney stones will keep you awake. Wide awake... and screaming.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I truly appreciate all the replies & suggestions. I am going to try drinking more water when I ride. I work (hard) outside about 95% of the time that I am not riding a motorcycle, and although I drink lots of water, I wonder if maybe that I am dehydrated when riding . I have all but given up the energy drinks, and I know they are not good for me, but I was desperate for help. I will certainly give it a try. I have noticed an increase in my heart rate at times, usually hours after drinking a Monster or Red Bull, so giving that up as I don't like that feeling. Guess I really am getting old , but I'll bet I can outride most 20 year olds . At least I haven't caught myself drooling while dozing....yet. Maybe I can be the only resident at the nursing home that rides a m/c.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Gatorade works

Mostly, you're dehydrated. Caffeine is dehydrating, too ... go for water or gatorade. Energy drinks are caffeine, gatorade is electrolytes.

ATGATT helps keep sun and wind off and that's yet another good reason for wearing it because sun and wind are dehydrating. Still, you'll experience some wind anyway.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Another thing to remember about dehydration...once you're in a dehydrated state, it's difficult for your body to absorb enough water just by drinking to make a difference while you're out riding. If you're planning a long ride, you need to start hydrating 2 days before you leave. If you're well hydrated when you start, drinking water will help keep you hydrated, both for that day and as you keep hydrated for future days.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I am really struggling with this at times, and it can make me VERY miserable. I have tried everything suggested and the fresh air in the face, standing on the pegs, etc. do help, but not for long. I think I will try the caffeine pills and see if they work for me. I drink coffee, but not while riding due to having to stop too often. I have told Paul to just stop for a minute and let me walk around a bit. I also have been known to do exercises on the side of the road! Anything to become more alert. I do have a full face helmet, but it has a built in sun visor which allows me to open the face shield and still have protection for my eyes. Right now, the caffeine pills may be the ticket. It would just be plain stupid to have an accident due to falling asleep, as I am otherwise over the top about safety. This isn't something new for me, as I have suffered with bouts of this for years, but I've just got to find a solution before I become a hood ornament. Voni, the article pretty much sums it up exactly! THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM FOR ME. Thanks...Gail
    I ride exactly like you do - tank to tank and have experienced this in my cage and early on with the bike. For me, the answer was absolutely no large or even medium meals. Small nibbly snacks often and constant small sips of water and later in the day sometimes 50% water and gatorade (carry a zip lock bag of powdered version). The idea is to be hydrated all the times as well as topped up in electrolytes without your body trying to digest a big carb load ever. Some say only high performing athletes need gatorade; well I posit that long distance riding is an athletic endeavour. Ride safe and well fed.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Were I to drink as much water, Gatorade or anything else, as is being discussed here, then I would ride only 20-30 minutes between pee stops.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Were I to drink as much water, Gatorade or anything else, as is being discussed here, then I would ride only 20-30 minutes between pee stops.
    Or put another way, as we strain more with age to urinate, we are actually flexing the muscled walls of the bladder with each trip to the potty. This causes them to thicken over time - hence our bladders become a little smaller each year.

Growing older is not for the faint of heart.

Since you penned this in Spring have you considered seasonal allergies? Spring and Fall can be rough on those that are prone. It isn't simply about sneezing. Allergies can manifest themselves into multiple ailments, including lethargy. Might be worth checking out.
    Good luck!

As a general reply, those who get sleepy while driving a car are probably not sleepy because they are dehydrated.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

As was mentioned above dehydration can cause kidney stones. I just went through a bout with a kidney stone. It was a tough couple of days. Fortunately I am close to a hospital (3/4 mile) and they had the necessary equipment and personnel to help me have a successful outcome (lithotripsy).

The doctors indicated that when one urinates the urine should be clear. A yellowish color indicates inadequate hydration. I am going to make a point of hydrating myself more adequately before and during my riding. I now know that I have been doing a poor job thus far.

The pain from the kidney stone came up fast. I would have been unable to ride during this interval. I am fortunate to have been at home and with my wife and myself retired, it was relatively easy to make the short trips to the hospital.

There are some good urine color charts for dehydration online. A former employer had one posted in the restrooms. Good info.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT