• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking about a C 650 Sport or GT . . .

Anyone on this forum have experience with the C 650 that they might share? I've had a lot of motorcycles but only one scooter, a Kymco 200i. The Kymco with its 160cc engine was under-powered for how I wanted to ride. It was great fun and quite nice not to have to clutch or shift -- just twist and go.

I think this part of the forum is not real busy due to the relatively few scooters that BMW sells . . .

Scooters are cool. Quick, easy, uncomplicated, ready to go, easy to ride........

From Larry Crowne-

:burnout
om

First Year model owner

I bought a C650 GT when first released in the US as a vehicle to get back into riding. My experience was similar to the caveat about buying a first year model. Pretty quickly after purchase it developed at stalling issue that occurred in some of the scooters (you can probably find threads on here where I posted about this issue with others). This was eventually fixed but soon after I developed a rattle a timing chain tensioner that sounded like I was grinding coffee. This was the issue that eventually broke the camel’s back. I took it in in early October and they indicated no TCT could be provided until February. Well they dug around and found one in Iowa of all places. Around a month later it was ready to roll but at that time it was due a 12000 mile service so I asked to get this service done and they said the parts would be there in February. I asked them to buy back and they did. I really liked the ride and agility of the bike and enjoyed my time riding but I would check with new owners or reviews about them now.

Other issues
Maintenance costs were high
No cruise control put a throttle lock on it but not the same.
Was kinda heavy
No shifting

Pluses
Great power
Great handling
Plenty of storage
Heated seats and grips
Electronic windshield adjustment
Great weather protection
Fun to ride
Agile

Best regards,

Chris

Bought my wife a first year GT a couple recalls nothing more, bike ran great for the 2 years she had it
Likes it was comfortable, fast and good handling
Dislikes high cost of maintenance,weight, no cruise control, terrible seat
Battery died at 2 years
Buy a used one with current service

Thinking about a C650GT?

There were many little changes in the 2016 model year, so I would recommend that you lean towards a later model. The major changes were in the engine (cam chain tensioner) and the driveline (CVT tuning). Maintenance costs are really not much different than for a conventional motorcycle. They are heavy (almost 600#s) and fast enough to run with the freeway traffic. Comfortable and handles great.
There is an all-new, smaller model introduced in 2019 - the C400X - which I think replaces the C650 Sport in the line up.

I owned a 2013 for about three years and used it as a commuter. I now ride a C Evolution, which is the battery-powered EV version of the C 650 Sport (a perfect complement to my 2016 R1200GSA).

There were many little changes in the 2016 model year, so I would recommend that you lean towards a later model. The major changes were in the engine (cam chain tensioner) and the driveline (CVT tuning). Maintenance costs are really not much different than for a conventional motorcycle. They are heavy (almost 600#s) and fast enough to run with the freeway traffic. Comfortable and handles great.
There is an all-new, smaller model introduced in 2019 - the C400X - which I think replaces the C650 Sport in the line up.

I owned a 2013 for about three years and used it as a commuter. I now ride a C Evolution, which is the battery-powered EV version of the C 650 Sport (a perfect complement to my 2016 R1200GSA).
Thanks. :thumb

How long have you had your electric scooter? If you don't mind, tell me about it, good and bad.

Today I bought a used 2018 C650GT from the local dealer. It has 4K miles and 1.5 years left on factory warranty. I pick it up Friday morning.

Back