Thread: ABS versions

ABS versions

I am wondering if there is a resource that would tell me what versions were used for what bikes/what years. I have a 1994 R1100RS and am interested in knowing what version ABS it has. I'm just interesed in knowing how critical the pressure module brake fluid flush is.

Thanks in advance.

Blocking the slow lane
    You have ABS2. If you just bleed the brake system normally, you'll be fine.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75
    BMWMOA Ambassador

1flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft
    I'm just interesed in knowing how critical the pressure module brake fluid flush is.
    If this is your question it shouldn't make any difference which version you have. If you have an ABS brake system that meters application pressure to the brakes, than the fluid flush is important. The "how to do it" may be different for each system but the reason to do it is the same. It really has to do more with the fluid properties than the system design.

If this is your question it shouldn't make any difference which version you have. If you have an ABS brake system that meters application pressure to the brakes, than the fluid flush is important. The "how to do it" may be different for each system but the reason to do it is the same. It really has to do more with the fluid properties than the system design.
    Maybe I should have been more clear, I am also interested in how critical the flush is at the modulator, or if it is largely flushed already by doing the wheel circuits.

I also just wondered what years each ABS version was produced.

Thanks again.

Blocking the slow lane
    Here's a swag from memory:

ABS 1 - 1988 thru '93 on K100/1100, but thru '95 on K75's
    ABS 2 - 1993 thru 2001
    ABS 2 EVO - 2002 (change to Tokico calipers)
    ABS 2 EVO with linking - 2003 and on?

I'm only sure about the first three, since my last new bike was a 2001, and I intentionally made sure I bought a bike without the EVO version. I've not really paid attention to when linking was introduced and how it changed over the years.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar

Bleed 'em!

Camshaft, based on my experience with bleeding the ABS circuit on my '00 RT (ABS II), the circuit does not hold much volume - but, sitting there under the gas tank, it is pretty remote from the rest of the brake lines.

It also sits much higher than the rest of the system, which makes me think air bubbles probably migrate up to it. My front brakes firmed up tremendously after the first time I bled the ABS circuits. That first ABS bleed also pumped out some really nasty looking fluid, despite earlier bleeds at the calipers.

Once the tank is off the bike it's not a difficult job. See Gary Smith's excellent article in the February Owner's News.

Gary's article offers another reason to prefer older oilheads - (2001 and earlier - I'm with you jdiaz); servicing the linked EVO brakes requires specialized tools. Without them he recommends letting BMW do the job.

When it comes to owner serviceability, pre-EVO oilheads = the new airheads.

Only nancy riders need those geeky power assisted brakes - gnarly boyz and girlz squeeeze their own calipers!
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: '85 K100RT, '80 Yamaha XS850, '67 Triumph Bonnie, '66 Honda 90 Scrambler