• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Las Vegas NV to Santa Rosa CA

roburnmc

I will be taking a moto trip in early May this year. Starting in Las Vegas and ending in Santa Rosa CA. I have 2-1/2 days to complete the journey.
Can any local folks give me your best route recommendations? I will be riding an R1200GS so I am open to gravel and dirt routes too.
Thanks in advance!

Depends on if you are “beach” or “mountains” or “desert” oriented I guess. Lots of ways to do that.

I might suggest working your way over to Big Sur and coming up CA 1. But, that’s my stomping grounds. Beautiful ride, I may be biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am thinking of desert & mountain routes. I have been to the coast several times.

Last edited:
Used to live in Santa Rosa

I used to live in Santa Rosa.

You might consider Ridgecrest/Kernville/Camp Nelson/Three Rivers/Pinehurst/Tollhouse/Fish Camp/Sonora/Rio Vista/Sonoma, then Hwy 12 to Santa Rosa. The stretch between Santa Rosa and Sacramento is filled with urban commuters. (I used to do that frequently. Ugh.) Santa Rosa area is not that interesting, but Highway 1 on the coast is very nice if you could take the time to detour to Mill Valley/Bodega.

Be aware that Tioga Pass (hwy 120) through Yosemite may still be closed due to the good snow fall we got this winter. But all the mountain passes are beautiful. Just go through the desert, then up 395 to whichever one you like. Ebbit's Pass is nice, but check for snow closures ahead of time.

:dance:dance:dance

Sonora Pass was closed this weekend. I imagine due to snow.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
Is it safe to say that I should stay to the west of Eldorado National, Stanislaus National, Yosemite National, Sierra National, Kings Canyon National & Sequoia National?
How is Sherman Pass Rd between Linnie CA and the Kern River? Is this mostly dirt road?

Roads

Thanks for the input.
Is it safe to say that I should stay to the west of Eldorado National, Stanislaus National, Yosemite National, Sierra National, Kings Canyon National & Sequoia National?
How is Sherman Pass Rd between Linnie CA and the Kern River? Is this mostly dirt road?

Your route is going to depend on the road conditions in the mountains and if the passes are open or not. I would say you would want to stay West of the areas you mentioned. However, you'll need to check the conditions. Have a plan A route going a little North and, a plan B, one going a little South.

I'd suggest going through Death Valley and visiting some of the many areas there. Titus Canyon, Ubehebe Crater, The Racetrack, Dante's View etc. just to name a few. You did mention you might mix it up with some gravel... Anyway, check Titus out to see if it's open or not. A dirt/gravel road going through a slot canyon. Not to be missed. A few weeks ago it was closed because of the storms this season. You might check out the California BDR Route which would take you on some interesting and challenging roads.
Leaving DV you could visit Darwin; an interesting little eclectic town. Pretty crazy place that some folks call home. Don't expect any services.

Assuming Tioga Pass (CA.120) is closed, I'd go South to go over the Sierra's. If 120 is open I'd go over to Yosemite.

If 120 is closed you could...

Head West to 395 and drop South to Nine Mile Canyon which would take you over Sherman Pass, the Southern most pass over the Sierras. It's paved all the way over to the Kern River. However, contact Blackrock Ranger Station https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recarea/?recid=20792 to find out if Sherman is open. There is a chance it might be closed; again because of the winter season. If you can't get over Sherman head further South to CA 178, Walker Pass and head towards Kernville on the North side of Lake Isabella. Check to see if the Great Western Divide Hwy. is open. If it is, travel North from Kernville to Johnsondale to the GWDH and take it over and down to Springville, CA 190. At Springville I'd head North on Yokohi Road to CA.198.

At this point I'd stay in the foot hills and head North. There are many roads to take, some of the smaller ones will leave you tired by the end of the day. Tighter radius with many turns, similar to Sherman Pass and going down to Springville. If you don't want to continue in that vain, you can get on Hwy 49 and head North. I'm sure you'll like it too.

At any rate you need to cross the Valley to get to Santa Rosa. If your time allows, I'd go North of Sacramento, then West and drop into Santa Rosa from the North. You'll miss most of the urban sprawl which is dense and ugly from Sacramento to the West.

Anyway, have a good ride and see some sights along the way! :wave

Titus Canyon was a lot of fun. And loads of great scenery when I wasn't focused on the ride.

:thumb Great to read.
Some buddies of mine went over the Great Western Hwy. last Sunday so, I guess it's open.
Have a good ride! Post some photos...

Back