Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1977 R100/7 Wheel Suggestions

1977 R100/7 Wheel Suggestions

I have recently acquired the family hierloom that is this bike, which was then made road-worthy after sitting for 16 years (before and after):

One can barely tell from the pictures but both wheels are quite bent from a previous accident in the 1980s. I need to replace the very old tires prior to the summer riding season. I am wondering, what is the best way to go about fixing or replacing the wheels? At the moment there seems to be no noticeable issues with the wheels while in motion, although I think it makes sense to address them at this time.

Any and all advice is welcomed. I am a new rider in every aspect, so no information is considered obvious to me.

Fzsfnghrhaeyw56454trh.jpg

45026469_438581193340887_1540725990232162304_o.jpg

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    So your profile is not filled in and we don't know where you are so answering this type of question is more of a crap shoot.

The two best places in the USA I know of are:
    Woodys Wheel Works in Denver CO https://woodyswheelworks.com/
    Buchanan's near Pasadena CA http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims.asp

PS: If your cat likes to knead get it off your seat! I have a ruined RS seat thanks to the PO's cat's affection for his owners saddle!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Good suggestions above ^^^^

And welcome to the MOA and the forum!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Ahh I didn't even consider the geography aspect. I am in western Pennsylvania. The bike was serviced by Craig Immel last year, for those familiar with the name.

A small observation.
    Your Rocker covers appear to be on the wrong sides. ( hard to tell from the pic )
    The cast lines should be level.
    Back to the discussion....

Quote Originally Posted by sterob View Post
    A small observation.
    Your Rocker covers appear to be on the wrong sides. ( hard to tell from the pic )
    The cast lines should be level.
    Another way to define it is the lines should be more or less straight between the intake tract to the exhaust tract.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Another way to define it is the lines should be more or less straight between the intake tract to the exhaust tract.
    Yet another way is to look for the L and R cast in!
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    And another way to look at it is that it doesn't make any operational difference at all. It just looks goofy......not that there is anything wrong with looking goofy.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Sun rims with Buchanan spokes...

http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims_sun.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    And another way to look at it is that it doesn't make any operational difference at all. It just looks goofy......not that there is anything wrong with looking goofy.

Friedle
    Unless you are trying to sell it, then the cognoscenti will conclude that the seller doesn't know BMW's and everything plus everything else is probably also done wrong and they will publicly humiliate you for your sin.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post

Friedle

LOL!! Friedle you never fail to crack me up. Thanks for my morning chuckle!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Well I have no intention to sell it, although thanks for pointing that out. I would like to get all of those little things corrected at some point. My family has always been the "fix it yourself" type, which is fine but I already know that several things were done incorrectly. That's not me, I would rather just pay someone to make it right and not worry about it.

Can someone direct me to anything like regional events? I would like to meet other fellow owners at some point where I can learn more nuanced particulars like that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Before Friedle jumps in again here let me assure you that you need to join the Airheads and contact the Air Marshall for your state. You will then have the opportunity to become surrounded by numerous truly informed folks who can help you sort that bike out, or can guide you who to go to to have it done.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

There's a Tech day coming up April 27 in Danielsville, PA...more eastern, though. The annual "Tent Float" camping event is May 17-19 in Dover, PA...south central PA. The annual SuperTech is in Boyertown, PA, usually in February. This is probably something you should schedule to attend.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Before Friedle jumps in again here let me assure you that you need to join the Airheads and contact the Air Marshall for your state. You will then have the opportunity to become surrounded by numerous truly informed folks who can help you sort that bike out, or can guide you who to go to to have it done.
    Thank you Paul. www.airheads.org

Friedle
    ABC BoD
    Ride fast safely

Where in western Pa. are you located? Look up the Four Winds rally.