• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Choppy ride

brio

I recently changed the fork oil on my R80. I had the front forks disassembled for a while before I could get started on them again. When I first put them back together I realized that they were way too soft. They would collapse under my weight. I figured that I must have forgotten something but couldn’t figure out what. I cut two pieces of pvc pipe 1.5 inches and added them to the forks for increased spring stiffness. I also experimented with 1 inch pieces but felt the forks would collapse too much. Now the laden/unladen compression difference in inches is within limits but I feel every ripple in the road. Got any advice?

What year is the bike? What type of oil did you use? How much did you put in the forks?

Front suspension in good working order is a pretty important thing. If it were me, I would take it apart, get somebody who knows what they are doing and then put it back together.

Are you a member of the Airheads Beemer Club (www.airheads.org)? Lots of technically savvy members all across the country willing to help other club members. Where are you located?

Friedle
ABC BoD

Be sure your initial sag is right. Put bike on center stand and slip a ziptie around the fork just above the seal. The boot might need to be raised. Then the bike off center stand gently. Get on the bike...ideally have someone hold the bike while you lift your feet. Sag should be about 1/3 of total travel, or maybe 2-1/2 inches. This is adjusted with the spacers as you were doing.

Clymer lists the fork spring free length should be 567mm (22.323"). You may want to measure yours. The 235CC of fluid looks right.

Do you have a fairing? That's the only reason you might want to add spacers. As you add spacers, you may stiffen your fork springs but at the same time you're reducing suspension travel. As was said, disassemble and make sure they're reassembled correctly. Use the correct fork oil in the correct amount and your results should be a good handling '78, given that your rear suspension is also correct. Good luck sorting this out and get back on the road soon. gp

If the OP's forks are collapsing under his own weight, something internal is wrong. Not initial suspension sag or whether there is a fairing mounted. If it were my bike I would not ride it until the suspension was corrected.

Friedle

Pull up a parts diagram, take each leg apart separately and make sure everything is in place. I've worked on several sets of forks from that generation. There is nothing I know of that would cause the forks to be mechanically softer, i.e., collapse from the rider's weight, after dis- and reassembly except a missing part. If you used a much lighter oil they would move up and down more freely but the rider sag would be unchanged. That said, I'm having trouble thinking of a part whose absence would cause such a dramatic change. Did the bike work well before this? What is the rider weight? If you're under 170, the stock springs should be more than adequate.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51662&rnd=07242017

Missing ball bearing?

I agree that it is a seal or missing part issue. You don't say how far apart you had the forks, and we assume they are not leaking. There is a small 8mm ball bearing and spring assembly at the bottom of the internal pipe/tube component (the one that is drilled for oil flow), and if omitted it may cause the issues you are experiencing.

A full tear down and reassembly after careful review of the parts diagram is probably in order.

While in there, it is probably worth replacing all of the various bushings and seals, as they are relatively cheap vs the labor involved to get in that far.

I have an R80/7 of the same vintage and was experiencing some very strange fork behavior. Sometimes they were incredibly stiff and difficult to even move, and at other times they were extremely squishy. Turns out it was a combination of worn out springs causing the sogginess (these were replaced with a set of Progressive springs and spacers), and a deteriorating bottom buffer ring that was being sucked up in pieces and sometimes clogging the holes of the lower internal drilled tube, which was causing the stiffness.

Good luck,

ECJ

If you are just going to go by a parts diagram, make sure you know which forks you have. There were several different variations.

Friedle

I think I need to take it apart again as suggested and post pictures then. Is it necessary to use the BMW oil or is there a more convenient alternative? Also, do you guys find that the rear suspension needs to be on the firmest setting?

I think I need to take it apart again as suggested and post pictures then. Is it necessary to use the BMW oil or is there a more convenient alternative? Also, do you guys find that the rear suspension needs to be on the firmest setting?

Good plan ! Almost any quality fork oil of the proper viscosity will work if you are having a hard time sourcing BMW oil.
Unless you weigh in at a biscuit over 400 pounds, if your rear suspension needs to be on the firmest setting it is time for some new rear shocks.

Friedle

7.5 - 10w fork oil worked best for me but my airheads were of a different generation. By firmest setting, do you mean the spring preload or are your shock adjustable for damping?

7.5 - 10w fork oil worked best for me but my airheads were of a different generation. By firmest setting, do you mean the spring preload or are your shock adjustable for damping?

That is the reason I questioned the riders weight.

Friedle

Brio,

The parts fiche for forks is notoriously incorrect in showing the correct assembly.

Here are two articles I wrote for the 1977 RS whose forks should match yours in construction.

They cover more than just the forks, but the fork information should help you see what goes where. In these are links to work I did on a 1973 R75/5 fork system, which is the same as yours. Those links show more details about the damper rod construction and parts sequence.

I hope this helps.

Best.
Brook Reams.

Now the laden/unladen compression difference in inches is within limits but I feel every ripple in the road. Got any advice?

Sounds like it could be some stiction issues. Just my opinion.....

Brio,

The parts fiche for forks is notoriously incorrect in showing the correct assembly.

Here are two articles I wrote for the 1977 RS whose forks should match yours in construction.

They cover more than just the forks, but the fork information should help you see what goes where. In these are links to work I did on a 1973 R75/5 fork system, which is the same as yours. Those links show more details about the damper rod construction and parts sequence.

I hope this helps.

Best.
Brook Reams.

In your 31 BMW 1973 R75/5 Rebuild Front Forks, should I be able to click on the grey boxes and see photos?

Back