• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Source needed for Allen head carburetor top retaining screw

THOMASPIN

Airhead
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.37.40 AM.jpg

I installed these stainless, Allen head carb top retaining screws on my R90/6 decades ago, and forget where I bought them.

I need to replace one, and do not want to revert to the stock Philips head ones.

Does anyone have a source for these, please? It's circled in red:

Thank you, Kurt. That is greatly appreciated.

I contacted Bing and they do sell individual screws #40-573 @ $4.61 each.

At that price I'm glad I'm not building the Space Shuttle, but it beats wasting money on four or eight. :nod

I look at McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) for a lot of stuff. When you go to the web page don't just look at the picture for the main category. Look at the name of the main category. You can drill down from there to find a lot of variations in the category. I don't know what size screw it is but for instance McMaster has M3 by 10 for $5.91 for 100.

go to belmetric.com. Look under Allen Head Fasteners. They have countersunk flat head in stainless in many sizes for less than 20c each.
The head is flat instead of domed. Remember when you measure these type of screws the nominal size is the total length.

What about your favorite hardware store? My local Ace hardware has a great selection of metric fasteners, in different head configurations, oval, flat, allen type, philips, button head, etc. Just my 2¢.

As long as you have another part to measure, mcmaster.com usually has what you need. The down side is you have to get 50 of that small a screw. The up side is it will cost about as much as one from Bing.

Try mcmaster.com for torx head screws. They have just about everything you need when it comes to fasteners.

Boltdepot.com will sell a wide variety of fasteners and you can buy 10 at a time if you want. I generally keep adding to an order until I use up the minimum shipping charge.

Back