• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Modifying Shift Lever Height

amadison

I am under average height, with under average inseams. Stops on my (2016) S1000RR do not inspire confidence, though I've never had a true incident of laying the bike down. I've gotten a pair of the SIDI Adventure Boots, which definitely inspires more confidence at stops (though I felt like freaking Elton John when walking around in them). But now I have trouble getting the toe of the boot under the shift lever for upshifts. Who has had a similar problem on the RR? Is my only solution is to get an aftermarket adjustable shift lever? Thanks in advance...

Sorry - I don't have an RR, but can't you just adjust it via the small ball or moving it a tooth?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?72973-Shift-Lever-Adjust-with-Shift-Assist-How

Thank you, with the above link, I was able to figure out how to loosen to the two nuts at either end of the shifter rod. But partly, the problem was my own ignorance. I had never needed or desired to change the shift lever height before, so once I realized the rod assembly is a standard bit of motorcycle 'kit' most of the mystery was gone. But I had to see past the QS, which implied a much more complex shift mechanism than was actually there.

So its all in one place, here's how to adjust the shift lever height with the stock parts in place.

1. loosen the two nuts at each end of the rod, with a wrench on each one. The nuts are 10mm. The rod has indents that would take a smaller wrench, I'm guessing 8 or 9mm, but I didn't go that route. So with one open wrench and an adjustable crescent wrench, I could get leverage on each nut and loosen them.

2. Disconnect the QS cable. Just the cable. You do not have to disconnect or uninstall the QS. You do not need a teeny-tiny allen wrench (though I have one from installing bathroom towel bars). This is necessary to get clearance to spin the rod around.

3. Spin the rod and attached QS to place the shifter at the desired height.

4. Re-connect QS cable.

5. Tighten the two rod nuts.

Back