Thread: Modifying Shift Lever Height

Modifying Shift Lever Height

I am under average height, with under average inseams. Stops on my (2016) S1000RR do not inspire confidence, though I've never had a true incident of laying the bike down. I've gotten a pair of the SIDI Adventure Boots, which definitely inspires more confidence at stops (though I felt like freaking Elton John when walking around in them). But now I have trouble getting the toe of the boot under the shift lever for upshifts. Who has had a similar problem on the RR? Is my only solution is to get an aftermarket adjustable shift lever? Thanks in advance...
    2016 S1000RR - Red White & Blue & Stock

Sorry - I don't have an RR, but can't you just adjust it via the small ball or moving it a tooth?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ift-Assist-How
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    Sorry - I don't have an RR, but can't you just adjust it via the small ball or moving it a tooth?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ift-Assist-How
    Thank you, with the above link, I was able to figure out how to loosen to the two nuts at either end of the shifter rod. But partly, the problem was my own ignorance. I had never needed or desired to change the shift lever height before, so once I realized the rod assembly is a standard bit of motorcycle 'kit' most of the mystery was gone. But I had to see past the QS, which implied a much more complex shift mechanism than was actually there.

So its all in one place, here's how to adjust the shift lever height with the stock parts in place.

1. loosen the two nuts at each end of the rod, with a wrench on each one. The nuts are 10mm. The rod has indents that would take a smaller wrench, I'm guessing 8 or 9mm, but I didn't go that route. So with one open wrench and an adjustable crescent wrench, I could get leverage on each nut and loosen them.

2. Disconnect the QS cable. Just the cable. You do not have to disconnect or uninstall the QS. You do not need a teeny-tiny allen wrench (though I have one from installing bathroom towel bars). This is necessary to get clearance to spin the rod around.

3. Spin the rod and attached QS to place the shifter at the desired height.

4. Re-connect QS cable.

5. Tighten the two rod nuts.
    2016 S1000RR - Red White & Blue & Stock

Quote Originally Posted by amadison View Post

5. Tighten the two rod nuts.

6. Get your wallet ready for the copious number of speeding tickets your about to accrue, because now you can get out of first gear
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558