• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1977 R100/7 Wheel Suggestions

vantablack

I have recently acquired the family hierloom that is this bike, which was then made road-worthy after sitting for 16 years (before and after):

One can barely tell from the pictures but both wheels are quite bent from a previous accident in the 1980s. I need to replace the very old tires prior to the summer riding season. I am wondering, what is the best way to go about fixing or replacing the wheels? At the moment there seems to be no noticeable issues with the wheels while in motion, although I think it makes sense to address them at this time.

Any and all advice is welcomed. I am a new rider in every aspect, so no information is considered obvious to me.

Fzsfnghrhaeyw56454trh.jpg

45026469_438581193340887_1540725990232162304_o.jpg

Ahh I didn't even consider the geography aspect. I am in western Pennsylvania. The bike was serviced by Craig Immel last year, for those familiar with the name.

A small observation.
Your Rocker covers appear to be on the wrong sides. ( hard to tell from the pic )
The cast lines should be level.
Back to the discussion....

A small observation.
Your Rocker covers appear to be on the wrong sides. ( hard to tell from the pic )
The cast lines should be level.

Another way to define it is the lines should be more or less straight between the intake tract to the exhaust tract.

And another way to look at it is that it doesn't make any operational difference at all. It just looks goofy......not that there is anything wrong with looking goofy. :thumb

Friedle

Sun rims with Buchanan spokes...

http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims_sun.asp

And another way to look at it is that it doesn't make any operational difference at all. It just looks goofy......not that there is anything wrong with looking goofy. :thumb

Friedle

Unless you are trying to sell it, then the cognoscenti will conclude that the seller doesn't know BMW's and everything plus everything else is probably also done wrong and they will publicly humiliate you for your sin.

Friedle

LOL!! Friedle you never fail to crack me up. Thanks for my morning chuckle!

Well I have no intention to sell it, although thanks for pointing that out. I would like to get all of those little things corrected at some point. My family has always been the "fix it yourself" type, which is fine but I already know that several things were done incorrectly. That's not me, I would rather just pay someone to make it right and not worry about it.

Can someone direct me to anything like regional events? I would like to meet other fellow owners at some point where I can learn more nuanced particulars like that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Before Friedle jumps in again here let me assure you that you need to join the Airheads and contact the Air Marshall for your state. You will then have the opportunity to become surrounded by numerous truly informed folks who can help you sort that bike out, or can guide you who to go to to have it done.

There's a Tech day coming up April 27 in Danielsville, PA...more eastern, though. The annual "Tent Float" camping event is May 17-19 in Dover, PA...south central PA. The annual SuperTech is in Boyertown, PA, usually in February. This is probably something you should schedule to attend.

Before Friedle jumps in again here let me assure you that you need to join the Airheads and contact the Air Marshall for your state. You will then have the opportunity to become surrounded by numerous truly informed folks who can help you sort that bike out, or can guide you who to go to to have it done.

Thank you Paul. :wave www.airheads.org

Friedle
ABC BoD

I would box up those wheels and send them to Woodys Wheel Works in Denver Colorado.
They can install new bearings and tires and tubes while there at it. Very Professional. Highly recommend that shop!
Get them back, install them and you'll be ready to roll for the summer!
That's what I would do.

Where in western Pa. are you located? Look up the Four Winds rally.

I am in Erie, PA, although I am more of a traveler that visits home occasionally. I was actually hoping to take this bike to tour eastern Europe sometime in the near future, hence wanting to sort it out before then. I generally live out of a 40 litre backpack for months at a time. A reliable and enjoyable form of transportation would be a lovely upgrade going forward. These bikes have a long reputation for reliability so it seems like a natural fit.

Thank you all for the wonderful resources and references. It's really cool walking into such a warm community as a new member.

Back