• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Lowering S1000XR

jcmarrio

It might not be possible but is there a way that is not too technical to lower the seat height on the 2018 S1000XR? My other bike is a 2006 K1200R and the height was perfect for my 5-10 body. Thanks

Welcome to the forum:wave
There are several owners here, but kinda slow at times.
Quickest is the low seat option that is available on a lot of models, next is a lower set of aftermarket shocks...not the low budget fix for sure.
Some friends have added a thicker sole to bottom of riding boots to gain a bit as well. Once again a low cost option.
Coming off a K1200R, I know it feels diff, but have you ridden it much yet?

I just got the 600 mile service done but I am leaving in a couple of days for a 2 to 3 thousand mile trip.

Soupy's Performance Lowering links

I'm 5'6" and just bought my S1000XR. I purchased the lowering links from Soupy's performance. My BMW tech installed them and lowered the front forks. Perfect! I can almost flat foot. And the cost was reasonable.

Welcome to the forum:wave
There are several owners here, but kinda slow at times.
Quickest is the low seat option that is available on a lot of models, next is a lower set of aftermarket shocks...not the low budget fix for sure.
Some friends have added a thicker sole to bottom of riding boots to gain a bit as well. Once again a low cost option.
Coming off a K1200R, I know it feels diff, but have you ridden it much yet?

Lower seat on XR isn't a strong option IMO... the low seat only gets you .5", and makes the seal feel much shorter from front to back due to the shape (slopes toward center from front and back).

We have installed the link solution mentioned earlier on several S series bikes with good results. Keep in mind the rear link will adjust far more than can be balanced correctly with the limited room to raise the fork tubes... you want those values to match to retain as much of the originally designed geometry as possible. Lowering the rear more than the front can lead to diminished stability at higher speeds.

lowering

I had lowering links installed and moved the forks up 1/4 inch. the ergonomics and handling are fine. but it does ride rougher. i called Ted Porters Beemer shop and they are making me a better shock. Yes its more money but a smoother ride is what im looking for. My bike is a 2018 XR and ive put 3000 on it since ive done the modifications.

It's strange to me that nobody is talking about the low suspension model option that is available. I never considered this bike since seating on it in showrooms I felt it was too tall for me, I'm 5'9". Then one day a few years ago I went to the dealer to consider the R1200RT or K1600 knowing they had a lower seat and so forth and by chance sat on the S1000XR on the floor and was surprised I could flat-foot it. Well a few test rides with it as well as the other models I was looking at and I was sold on the "Low Suspension" S1000XR.

Since then I've ridden on several BMW rides and I ran into a fellow XR rider who was my height and he had the standard height but had his lowered with the adjustable dog bones kit and such to basically achieve the same height as mine.

I can't honestly comment on the tall suspension ride characteristics but mine is the best handling bikes I ever rode. It is very neutral and quick to turn.

I had lowering links installed and moved the forks up 1/4 inch. the ergonomics and handling are fine. but it does ride rougher. i called Ted Porters Beemer shop and they are making me a better shock. Yes its more money but a smoother ride is what im looking for. My bike is a 2018 XR and ive put 3000 on it since ive done the modifications.
Lowering your bike with the adjustable dog-bones and dropping the fork really doesn't change the ride roughness. The only thing your changing is the suspension travel limits so unless your bottoming out your suspension, the ride quality is the same. The geometry may be affected such as rake and such which affects the turning and such but the suspension should be the same.

Also changing the shocks will eliminate some of the features our bikes have such as electronic ride loading and other ride modes that work with our shocks to control this.

I had lowering links installed and moved the forks up 1/4 inch. the ergonomics and handling are fine. but it does ride rougher.

Simply changing the POSITION of the stock suspension in relation to the frame (fastening link in rear / stock tubes repositioned in tree), without changing spring length/rate, isn't making any change to the character/behavior of the suspension re: ride/roughness.

Last edited:
The only thing your changing is the suspension travel limits...

Also changing the shocks will eliminate some of the features our bikes have such as electronic ride loading and other ride modes that work with our shocks to control this.

Sliding the tubes up in the tree .25" has absolutely no effect on total travel. Lowering links, due to the angle from the pivot to the stop, only limit the travel by a fraction of the amount lowered.

There are third party options for lower suspension that are ESA compatible.

Changing Shocks

Lowering your bike with the adjustable dog-bones and dropping the fork really doesn't change the ride roughness. The only thing your changing is the suspension travel limits so unless your bottoming out your suspension, the ride quality is the same. The geometry may be affected such as rake and such which affects the turning and such but the suspension should be the same.

I changed the shock on my 2020 XR and still have the DSA and ride modes working.

Back