Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Temporary MPH decal for KmH speedo

Temporary MPH decal for KmH speedo

Is there something I can put over my kph speedo that shows mph? If I go into the US it would be nice to have something like this. I'd like a transparent static cling type that shows miles per hour and saves me the task of converting all the time. It would also increase my accuracy in maintaining legal road speed and help avoid getting pulled over for speeding.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Faced with this type of thing, I have cut small arrows out of a tape like blue painters tape and stuck them on at common intervals such as 20, 40, 60, MPH.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Faced with this type of thing, I have cut small arrows out of a tape like blue painters tape and stuck them on at common intervals such as 20, 40, 60, MPH.
    OM
    Good idea.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

Found some old ebay.uk listings for something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEEDO-OV....c100408.m2460

Not clear how "universal" it can be.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

3 Red Bricks
    A GPS will do that and alot more for you.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Or you can just remember a few easy ones, 50kmh is about 30 mph, 70kmh is about 45mph, 90 kmh is about 55mph, 120kmh is about 75mph, 160kmh is 100mph. I ride/drive in both countries and have never had an issue. There are only about half a dozen speed limits out there so why worry?

I never bother to change what my GPS is set on which is metric, I typically only use it to show speed, time and whatever so I do know what my speed is in real time but I also know my speedo's on most of my vehicles have about a 5% error so no big deal there either.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

If you remember you multiplication tables from school, Just multiply the KPH x 6 it will get you close enough. 50KPHx.6=30MPH, 70KPHx.6=42MPH, 90KPHx.6=54MPH. Or drop the zero off the KPH so 50 become 5, 5x6=30 and so on. It has worked for me while traveling in Canada.

What's a speed limit?

If you know the fibonacci sequence you can convert fairly easy for common ones.

Fibonacci sequence is
    1 2 3 5 8 13 (each number is the sum of the 2 previous numbers, so easily calculate the sequence in your head too)

Oddly to convert miles to kilometers approximately, just go to the next number in the sequence.

1 mile is about 2 kilometers. 2 is about 3, 3 is about 5, 5 is about 8, etc...

Add a 10's column and its still fairly accurate so 10's about 20, 20's about 30, etc...

And it works for MPH verse KPH too. So 80 KPH is about 50 mph..

Should get close enough to avoid a ticket.

Nick Kennedy
    I Like the blue tape method. Easy to install, easy to remove.

RK Ryder

Arrow

I have no idea why BMW ships bikes to the USA with mph and smaller text showing kph.

Our Canadian Beemers must be meant to be ridden only in Canada as mph indicators are not included on our speedometers. It seems that on occasion I may have violated BMW's intention as to in which country I should be riding.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDiCarlo View Post
    What's a speed limit?
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I have no idea why BMW ships bikes to the USA with mph and smaller text showing kph.

Our Canadian Beemers must be meant to be ridden only in Canada as mph indicators are not included on our speedometers. It seems that on occasion I may have violated BMW's intention as to in which country I should be riding.
    And I would love to have the reverse here in Canada. Yes, a GPS works, but man it would be so easy to put both units on the speedometer. Seems incongruous for a marque that still promotes world wide travel anywhere two wheels can go.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post

Au Contraire. Your Canadian models are equipped to go virtually anywhere in the world where the Metric system is used while our meager US models had to be specially configured for the Luddites who still use yards, feet, inches, and miles in a long ago dwindled area of the world. As a token bone they give us the inner ring of metric numbers too small to read but there nonetheless.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Au Contraire. Your Canadian models are equipped to go virtually anywhere in the world where the Metric system is used while our meager US models had to be specially configured for the Luddites who still use yards, feet, inches, and miles in a long ago dwindled area of the world. As a token bone they give us the inner ring of metric numbers too small to read but there nonetheless.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo